USA Today rank Favre #14 in the Top 25 in the past 25 years

Reaction score
USA Today is doing a list of the top 25 players in the past 25 years, and they ranked Favre # 14:

No. 14 Brett Favre

Brett Favre has been the quarterback of the Packers for so long, it's hard to remember anyone else playing the position in Green Bay. That durability — Favre has played in 237 consecutive games — and his winning style that has earned him the 14th spot on USA TODAY's list.

When Favre replaced Don Majkowski on Sept. 20, 1992, he began a new era in Packers football during which he would return the team to NFL relevance and become one of the greatest quarterbacks in the game's history.

Favre enters the 2007 season on the doorstep of some of the NFL's most meaningful records. He sits second in career touchdown passes, passing yards, attempts and wins as a starting QB — all marks he could surpass this season.

Source

Now I agree with what they say, but surely the fact that Favre is on the doorsteps of almost every major passing record (like USA today acknowledge) means that he should be higher, no?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ofn

PFT.com said:
POSTED 11:53 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 12:26 p.m. EDT, July 3, 2007

USA TODAY DISSES LORD FAVRE

So we've been paying close attention to the ongoing countdown of the top 25 NFL players of the past 25 years on the USA Today web site, and we've even decided to do our own.

Our decision was due in large part to our belief that the USA Today list, well, isn't very good. Our concern started with the inclusion of Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw, whose only football-related activity of note in the past quarter-century was his Hall of Fame speech.

But now we've got another major beef with the folks at USA Today. At No. 14 on their list is Packers quarterback Brett Favre.

Brett Favre? No. 14? The guy who has shattered the record for consecutive starts by a quarterback? The guy who could end up with every career passing record?

Look, we take plenty of shots at Favre, primarily because we get sick of hearing how great he is. But he is. And there's no way that Favre is only the fourteenth best pro football player of the past 25 years.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
They do have a point, IMO.

The guy was an important factor (in conjunction with Wolf and Holmmy) in turning the ship around.

I wonder if Favre's recent comments stemming from the Moss issue made him drop. IF they did, then I think it's unfair. Brett's always been a guy to say what he thinks without heavily filtering it, and that's something that you have to like. Shows he is no different from me or you in some aspects.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You gotta learn how to keep your mouth shut though. Look at Marvin Harrison.

You keep your mouth shut and continue to produce, and you'll end up with instant respect.

Then again, Favre is a QB. QB's always talk.

hubbabubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Putting Brett at 14 is not really justified in my opinion. He will probably be #1 in touchdowns, wins, and yards, the three most important statistics of a quarterback. How can that kind of production not even be in the top 10?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: USA Today rank Favre #14 in the Top 25 in the past 25 ye

I miss read it.....i thought it was top 25 QB's. I will be wondering who they will pick over Favre. I would imagine Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders will make the list. And Reggie White, Walter Payton, Joe Montana.
Who else do you think will make it? Jerry Rice will be on it.

Tileman

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think it's too low, and I'm considered a Favre basher by many.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think it's too low, and I'm considered a Favre basher by many.
----------------------
When the Pack's OL & RB's really start to gel, and the defense becomes a force, they'll have an over the hill former MVP QB trying to turn the clock back 10 years, and a 1st round draft pick QB that never saw any real playing time because the legend had to chase records and sell jerseys. Wonderful.

I agree that it's too low. Favre should be in the top 5-10 in my opinion.

Oh, and by the way, I can't imagine why anyone would think you're a Favre basher Tileman... :rotflmao:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Montanta
John Elway
Lawrence Taylor
Reggie White
Walter Payton
Barry Sanders
Dan Marino
Jerry Rice

Those are the only guys I could see ahead of Favre off the top of my head. Not saying Favre isn't better than some but I think realistically those 8 + favre are the best of the last 25 years. I could be missing a few but Favre certainly is top 10. I don't know about top 5 but top 10 for sure.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As someone had commented on the USA Today site, it is "what have you done for me lately". Peyton Manning, who is a great quarterback and will be on of the best, does not deserve at this point to be higher than Favre.

LaDainian Tomlinson at 21? Another example this article should not be taken seriously.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Aagain.........this list is just someone's opinion. That, and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee.
My opinion would hold just as much importance as this guys opinion. (And so would anyone's on this site)

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I think they said they took 10 guys and had them vote and awarded points to players based on votes... but still, there must be like 4 Bears/Vikings fans in that group 'cause Favre at 14 is too low.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mi_keys said:
Yeah, I think they said they took 10 guys and had them vote and awarded points to players based on votes... but still, there must be like 4 Bears/Vikings fans in that group 'cause Favre at 14 is too low.
I agree of course.........but we ARE a little biased!!! :thumbsup: :rotflmao:

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score

mi_keys said:

:chalflag: erroneous, we the Packer fans of this board are completely and utterly impartial. We are also infallible, even in situations in which we contradict one another.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

mi_keys said:
mi_keys said:

:chalflag: erroneous, we the Packer fans of this board are completely and utterly impartial. We are also infallible, even in situations in which we contradict one another.
I agree! Or is it i disagree........doesn't matter, we are right!!! :rotflmao:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[align=left]I think Favre is one of the top 5 QB´s in the whole history of football[/align]
I think so too Lynch! He has most of the all time records, and has started more games in a row then any QB has ever done.
I think if he could win one more Super Bowl before he retires he would get the respect he has rightfully earned.
But look at Dan Marino, he NEVER won a super bowl. Even with all his records, he never won the big game. In fact he went to the SB his first year, lost the game, and never made it back.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which place does Favre deserve in the top 5, suddgestions?
To me it really depends on what criteria you use to judge the top 5. Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, and Terry Bradshaw won more championships then Favre. Of course all of them had GREAT teams around them. Montana had Jerry Rice, Aikman had Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin, Bradshaw had Lynn Swan and Franco Harris.
If you go by career TD's, Marino is in the lead......for now! Favre SHOULD pass him by this season.
I think Favre has the strongest arm of all of them.
I think if Favre can have a great season this year, it would put him in the top position in my view. But i think that would need to happen for him to get the "love" from the sportswriters.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lynch said:
Which place does Favre deserve in the top 5, suddgestions?
To me it really depends on what criteria you use to judge the top 5. Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, and Terry Bradshaw won more championships then Favre. Of course all of them had GREAT teams around them. Montana had Jerry Rice, Aikman had Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin, Bradshaw had Lynn Swan and Franco Harris.
If you go by career TD's, Marino is in the lead......for now! Favre SHOULD pass him by this season.
I think Favre has the strongest arm of all of them.
I think if Favre can have a great season this year, it would put him in the top position in my view. But i think that would need to happen for him to get the "love" from the sportswriters.

Well if you go by championships it's Bart Starr :thumbsup:

Members online

Latest posts