Urlacher retires

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No rival player has had more of an impact on the packers than urlacher over the past 15 years. One hell of a player, and one hell of a career. If you talk about the rivalry and history of the packers bears, you can't leave out his name

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ray Lewis and urlacher going into the hall at the same time? Damn

M

mayo44

No rival player has had more of an impact on the packers than urlacher over the past 15 years.

Actually, I'd turn that around the other way, given his team's 10-21 record against us during his career. And I'd say Moss and Peterson both have had more impact on the Packers than Urlacher did. Those guys both specifically affected our draft strategy in the past. I don't think you can say that about Urlacher.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, I'd turn that around the other way, given his team's 10-21 record against us during his career. And I'd say Moss and Peterson both have had more impact on the Packers than Urlacher did. Those guys both specifically affected our draft strategy in the past. I don't think you can say that about Urlacher.

Well if you are going to argue with Ws and Ls, then I would expect you to list Moss's with the Vikings and petersons against us as well.

Neither played against the packers as many times.... Thus the over 15 years comment.....

M

mayo44

Neither played against the packers as many times.... Thus the over 15 years comment.....

If the 15 years is a requirement, then Urlacher probably wins by default since I can't think of any other significant player within the division who has played against us every year of that 15 year span which you for some reason require in order to be considered a valid comparison. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the 15 years is a requirement, then Urlacher probably wins by default since I can't think of any other significant player within the division who has played against us every year of that 15 year span which you require to be considered a valid comparison. :rolleyes:

If Ws and Ls are your criteria what are Moss's with the Vikings and petersons?

M

mayo44

If Ws and Ls are your criteria what are Moss's with the Vikings and petersons?

Your criteria was "impact". I simply disagreed and stated that Moss and to a lesser degree AP had more of an impact on the Packers by directly influencing our off-season strategy in ways that Urlacher never did. But that doesn't matter anyway. I didn't realize you were strictly talking about players who played ALL of the last 15 years against the Packers, but since you've established that requirement, Urlacher wins because he's probably the ONLY one to play against us in each of the last 15 years.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your criteria was "impact". I simply disagreed and stated that Moss and to a lesser degree AP had more of an impact on the Packers by directly influencing our off-season strategy in ways that Urlacher never did. But that doesn't matter anyway. I didn't realize you were strictly talking about players who played ALL of the last 15 years against the Packers, but since you've established that requirement, Urlacher wins because he's probably the ONLY one to play against us in each of the last 15 years.

I won't bother asking a 3rd time.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mayo knows that Peterson's record vs GB is not too good, although he went 2-0 vs us the year Farve was great, and he beat us last year in week 17. We helped Peterson shatter records last year.

Randy Moss killed us, and his 1998 rookie impact changed the balance of power in our division and the NFC. Not only did Wolf blow it by passing on him, he went to our rivals and he set records, and he killed us head to head.

But Urlacher was phenomenal, for a long time.
He made many big plays against both Benedict Farve and Rodgers.

I have the utmost respect for Adrian Peterson, but I respect the hellouta Urlacher as well.
Moss was sensational though, just a moody problem child.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Had Urlacher not been tripped up by Rodgers on that INT run, his impact (potentially, had that ended up being the game winning score) would have been greater. I still don't know how Rodgers got him...

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
http://www.sportspickle.com/news/16...n-bay-packer-i-just-wanted-to-go-out-a-winner
Brian Urlacher Retires as a Green Bay Packer: "I just wanted to go out a winner"

Longtime Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher officially retired today as a member of the Green Bay Packers, signing a one-day contract with the team to "go out a winner."

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"I know this may rub some people in the Bears organization the wrong way. And some Bears fans, too, probably," said Urlacher. "But it's my right to end my career the way I want to end it, and doing it as a member of the Green Bay Packers — unquestionably the best franchise in the NFC North throughout my career and, really, all of NFC North history — brings me great joy. Not being a member of the Bears on this day is the highlight of my career."

Urlacher then fought back tears as he spoke about how much it means to him to no longer be a part of the Bears: "You dream of this your whole career but never really believe it could happen," he said, tears rolling down his cheeks.

The linebacker's press conference was attended by many Packers players in a sign of respect for all of his accomplishments.

"Brian was one of the greats," said quarterback Aaron Rodgers. "If the Bears had more players like him, they wouldn't always be so easy to beat."

Urlacher said he had a hunch that this is where his career would end following the 2010 NFC Championship Game, which Chicago lost to Green Bay.

"That was my last, best shot at winning a Super Bowl, but the Packers were clearly the better team," he said. "I would have given anything to be a Packer that day. And, to be honest, pretty much every day before and after that in my career. Again, no offense to the Bears."

The future Hall of Famer says he plans to be inducted into Canton as a Green Bay Packer and encouraged other Bears to follow his lead.

"You have to do what makes you happy and not worry how fans might react," said Urlacher. "And if my old Bears teammates are truthful, they'd all rather be on the Packers. I mean, why wouldn't they? Even Jay Cutler. I'm sure the Packers would be happy to sign him to a one-day contract so he could retire as their third-string quarterback."

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
That picture you put on there looks convincing with him in the GB shirt. But he seemed to be a classy type of guy! Good luck to him in the next endeavor of his.

M

mayo44

I won't bother asking a 3rd time.

I already answered you. You discounted Moss and AP on the basis that they didn't play that entire 15 years against the Packers. Not my fault you're too thick-headed to comprehend how weak that is.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I already answered you. Not my fault you're too thick-headed to get it.

Thanks for the childish name calling. It cracks me up.

But no, you have yet to post the W-L for moss with the Vikings and Peterson against the pack. We both know why tho ;)

M

mayo44

Thanks for the childish name calling. It cracks me up.

But no, you have yet to post the W-L for moss with the Vikings and Peterson against the pack. We both know why tho ;)

Yeah, because it doesn't matter. But either way, Moss was 9-8 against us for his career and AP is 4-9. I pointed out Urlacher's to make the point that he didn't have as big an impact against us as you seem to think he did. I also pointed out that Moss and AP actually affected our offseason plans in ways that Urlacher never did, especially where Moss is concerned. You then completely ducked because Moss didn't play the entire last 15 years against us. Aside from Urlacher, WHO HAS?

Heck, I'll even concede to you that he may have had more impact than AP, but his impact is not nearly what Moss's was. It just kills you when anyone disagrees with you, doesn't it?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, because it doesn't matter. But either way, Moss was 9-8 against us for his career and AP is 4-9. I pointed out Urlacher's to make the point that he didn't have as big an impact against us as you seem to think he did. I also pointed out that Moss and AP actually affected our offseason plans in ways that Urlacher never did, especially where Moss is concerned. You then completely ducked because Moss didn't play the entire last 15 years against us. Aside from Urlacher, WHO HAS?

Heck, I'll even concede to you that he may have had more impact than AP, but his impact is not nearly what Moss's was. It just kills you when anyone disagrees with you, doesn't it?

No, I appreciate well thought out rebuttes and then laugh at the rest. Complaining about my criteria then refusing to stand by yours was hilarious.

The petty name calling doesn't bother me either. You seem pretty concerned with my feelings, that's cute, but try and stay on topic.

If no one else has lasted as long as urlacher what does that say about their impact?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, but clearly not everyone's, the only time the W L record should be taken into account is with a QB and a coach. Megaton is a great example of a great player with a terrible W L record.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In and of itself, absolutely nothing. Dominic Raiola has played the same number of years Urlacher did.

Urlacher was drafted in 2000, Raiola in 2001, so no, not the "same number of years".

Some people need spell check, you need fact check.

M

mayo44

Urlacher was drafted in 2000, Raiola in 2001, so no, not the "same number of years".

Some people need spell check, you need fact check.

You need your head checked.

So again, explain how Urlacher had a bigger impact on the Packers than Moss did.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need your head checked.

So again, explain how Urlacher had a bigger impact on the Packers than Moss did.

Moss burned out in MN too quick. Great run in Minnesota the first time, forgettable run the 2nd time.

Both played some great games against us. Just one did it for a much longer time. Clearly subjective and it's a decent opposing viewpoint if looking at the players peak.

Members online

Latest posts