Urlacher All Done In Chicago.

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Urlacher is all done with the Bears.
Offered 1 yr at 2 mil.
Where do you guys see him going?
Would anyone like to see him on GB's roster?

My bet is that he will retire.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as i despise the bears it's sad to see him go. Such a good player and true to his team. I hope he retires as a bear and not sign to another team for a year and fizzle out.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll go the opposite way. While I don't think he's a fit for us, the guy played with heart and emotion above all else. He's got a chip on his shoulder now and a year separation from his knee injury. I think he'll Favre it - go somewhere for a phenominal season of spite-fueled football and then fizzle in the second year of his contract, then retire

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
They said on the SCORE this morning that he was looking for a 2 year deal worth more than $5M per year. Urlacher is pissed because the Bears never came off their 1 year at $2M offer - didn't negotiate at all. The fans - at least those who call into the radio station are in favor of the Bears' stand. (Urlacher previously made some comments about how he doesn't care what the fans think.) I don't know the source but they said he would have been willing to play for $3M on a 1 year deal. If true, I expect him to find a 4-3 team willing to pay him that amount. BTW, I'm really sorry the Bears didn't pay him the $5M/year money.

BTW, since this really isn't about the Packers anyway, here's a little good news for Packers fans. The hosts on the SCORE said this morning that there may be some dissension among veteran players about how their new HC relates to players. 'Whispers and grumbles', 'whispers and grumbles'. :D

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i heard the vikings wished he was going to be an ex packer so they could sign him.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind signing him for the veteran minimum plus a a kind of incentives and using him on passing downs. He's not what he was, not by a long shot, but he'd provide some value as a nickel backer and maybe the dime backer.

I don't see him coming here though. He clearly thinks he is worth more than he is. And he wouldn't want to be a role player here. Playing off blocks was never his strong suit and at this point in his career, Hawk is sadly better.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Urlacher" is one of the all-time great linebacker names. It's a just a bad ***, fitting title for a huge, cro magnon-type thumper that spent years making plays for the Bears, anchoring one of the NFL's elite defensive units.

Agree with those above that have commented to the effect that it's hard to watch greats like Urlacher (and Woodson) wrestle with their diminished value and skills...

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always hated playing Urlacher because he was a a damn good linebacker.
Him and Arod seemed to have quite a fun and competative relationship on the field.

I hope he manages to find a team to play for but I wouldn't want to see him in Green and Gold, would be weird.

H

HardRightEdge

Sung to the tune of the Moody Blues' "Go Now":

We've already said ‘Goodbye’.
Since you've got to go
Oh you had better go now.
Slow now. Slow now. Slow now....

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears did the exact same thing to Olin Krutz. Gave him a low offer and said take it, or there's the door... Good for them. They don't owe Urlacher a thing. I live in IL, unfortunately, so all I hear is, "The Bears owe him their respect, the Bears are disrespecting him, blah, blah, blah..." The Bears paid him 10's of millions of dollars over his career, they don't owe him a pack of gum at this point. Just thank him for his services and move on. Problem is, he still think's he's better than he really is. I watched you play against us twice last year Brian... you don't deserve more than what they offered you.

Pride is a tough thing to deal with sometimes.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a Chicagoan, it is weird to see the face of the Bears franchise basically being given $20, being told "it was nice" and taking a cab home. The offer from the Bears was a "we want to save face so the fans don't get mad". I think a team will give him a shot (rumors are Dallas or Cleveland), but he should probably retire.

cupacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Urlacher is all done with the Bears.
Offered 1 yr at 2 mil.
Where do you guys see him going?
Would anyone like to see him on GB's roster?

My bet is that he will retire.
I wouldn't want him on the Packers, but I actually wouldn't mind seeing him win a SB with another team. That would actually be hilarious.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/9079464/brian-urlacher-doubted-chicago-bears-bring-back

According to this he doesn't want to retire, it's just a matter of someone wanting him. He also didn't dismiss joining the Viqueens or the Pack:
"Just walking around, people are like, 'Don't go to the Vikings. Don't go to the Packers,'" he said. "But they were both pretty good last year. And they both made the playoffs."

H

HardRightEdge

Brian Urlacher has less of a chance getting signed by the Packers than Peyton Hillis.

His strength was as a sideline-to-sideline player who could stuff and cover. What's left when the speed is gone?

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't give a damn about him if he signs anywhere other than Green Bay. I never liked the guy. On the other hand, I think he would be a good fit with the Packers. A formerly great MLB with slightly diminished skills ought to be more effective with the slightly less responsibilities of a 3-4 ILB. And the guy did play his heart out, especially against the Packers.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brian Urlacher has .....What's left when the speed is gone?
Height in the middle, making it harder to hit the seams and throw over the middle of the field.
Anyone remember this guy making some Ints right in the middle of the field, on both Farve & Rodgers?
Right, plenty of times.

Anyone remember AJ Hawk doing so?

Bueller.......

Urlacher also has intelligence, and hunger for a ring, something that old timers Sean Jones, Bruce Wilkerson, Santana Dotson, Don Beebe & Keith Jackson also had when the Packers signed them back in the day.

Urlacher is not the same player he was, but I think he's better than Hawk.
But re-signing Jones eliminates any logical chance of bringing him in.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Height in the middle, making it harder to hit the seams and throw over the middle of the field.
Anyone remember this guy making some Ints right in the middle of the field, on both Farve & Rodgers?
Right, plenty of times.

Anyone remember AJ Hawk doing so?

Bueller.......

Urlacher also has intelligence, and hunger for a ring, something that old timers Sean Jones, Bruce Wilkerson, Santana Dotson, Don Beebe & Keith Jackson also had when the Packers signed them back in the day.

Urlacher is not the same player he was, but I think he's better than Hawk.
But re-signing Jones eliminates any logical chance of bringing him in.

The last time I remember him making plays against favre was 6 years ago.

Check out nfl rewind from last season. He doesn't have it anymore. At this point Hawk is MUCH better. This coming from the guy who is a known Hawk hater.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts