1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Update on my Mom

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Heatherthepackgirl, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I know I had a thread posted on my Mom somewhere but cant find it, so thought I would start a new one. Just an update.

My Mom has Alzheimer's and isnt doing to well, on Wednesday night my Mom's hips were hurting her so she took some tylenol PM but my Dad wasnt watching her and he thinks she took more then the regular dose to take. She became very dizzy, tummy hurt and then she fell, my Dad rushed her to Memorial hospital in Sheboygan where they gave her an IV and took another Xray of her brain in which they found out that years ago she had a stroke but noone knew it. They called in another physician and are now trying new medications for her. My Dad had to stay the night with her in the hospital, she is back home now, but when talking to my Dad you could tell he was upset, we cried together on the phone. He told me he didnt need my help as of yet, but hes the type of person that wouldnt tell me to come back home to help him, he always says he is handling it. She is now not doing well with taking baths and brushing teeth she refuses to do those things. I have a feeling things are getting worse.

Please everyone say a prayer for my Mom. I feel so helpless living so far away from them. Its been hard on me, but I know its been harder on my Dad.

2. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    My families prayers go out to yours, may God be with you.

3. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Heather, let me know what I can do for you from here.

4. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    I wish your Mom well Heather. My thoughts go out to you and your family.

5. carol k

carol k Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Heather, I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

6. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Heather - I'll say a prayer tonight for your mother, but also for your father. He's having the tougher time right now.

7. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Aww Heather..I will keep you and your family in my prayers. And a special prayer for your Father.

What you have described about your mother is exactly what me and my siblings went through with our mother.

The part about to not wanting to bathe or brush her teeth is exactly one of the stages that my mom went through.

I really, really wish that I could offer you some words of hope. But unfortunately, the insidious nature of Alzheimer's/Dementia is painfully slow and irreversible.

Have you gotten that book yet, "The Long Goodbye and Beyond"?
    It is an excellent book on coping with Alzheimer's.

Also there are numerous excellent resources on the web, such as:
    Mayo Clinic - Alzheimer's

I wish the very best you and your family Heather..May God go with you.

8. WinnipegPackFan

WinnipegPackFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Heather,

This is the first I read about you Mom and Dad. Life sure can throw us some nasty curve balls. I really feel for you and your dad right now as I am sure there will be some tough times ahead. My Prayers are with you and your family Heather. Try and find the positives out of this rough situation; as tough as that might be at the moment. You and your Dad will become closer than ever having to go through this together. My heart is with you Heather !!!

9. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone or your prayers! The worst part is I am in CA and cannot help them much. I also remember the good times with my Mom and that does help me through this. I know her time is slowly drifting away and I am missing it living so far away from them. I know if I was living in WI now there would be nothing I could do to change the situation, but I could help my Dad. He is one of these guys that NEVER asks for help, he keeps telling me he has it all under control. But I keep telling him its only going to get worse. All he has to do is call me and tell me he needs me there and I would quit my job and move there now. Sometimes I think that would be the best thing to do anyways. I dont see us moving for another year and a half from CA how will my Mom be then?

Tripp, if you get the time you could go and visit them for me. But other then that there really isnt anything anyone can do. My Mom goes to bed already by 7pm at night so my Dad is alone. I appreciate the offer so much friend!!!

Vikesrule, I havent bought that book yet but I sure will. To be honest I forgot to write down the title name the last time and then I lost the thread. I appreciate all the kind words. And its nice to talk to others that have gone through this as well.

One thing that has been great is my Dad and I have gotton closer, not that we werent close before. But before I would always call and talk to my Mom, and now I cant that hurts. So I talk to my Dad now for hours which has been such a blessing.

Thanks again everyone you guys are the best!!

10. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    hey heathie -

i'm so sorry to hear about this. you are, as always, in my nightly prayers friend. i can only imagine how hard it must be for you being that far away. i'm guessing your dad needs a great big hug more than anything else right now. i hope you can get home soon to see them.

take care.

11. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jules!! I wont get there anytime soon, being as we were just out there this past August. Unless of course my Dad calls and needs me then I will be on the first plane back there.

But again, thanks for all your prayers!!

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Hedder..........I'm SO sorry to hear your Mom is doing worse. I just got back from the hunt, so i wasn't aware of this till now (Wednesday). I wish i could offer you more positive words, but as we all know, this disease is relentless.
    I will (as always) pray for you and your Mom and Dad. It's the hardest on him, as your Mom probably isn't even aware of whats happening. He's the one that has to deal with watching the woman he loves deteriorate, and the hopelessness that goes with it.
    Even though i don't know your Dad, my guess is that he won't ask for help from you, even though he needs it. Most parents don't want to "bother" their kids with their problems.

13. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Vikes - Thanks for this advice. My favorite Aunt right now has early stages of senility and I think I'll pick up this book for my cousins, who are taking care of her. She's in very early stages, still is absolutely wonderful to be with, but repeats things she said an hour ago constantly and doesn't know she's doing it, or will ask the same question she asked ten minutes ago.

It really is a shame. She was really smart, and has a great heart. Without her, I wouldn't have been able to stay in California when I was younger and broke.

Thanks so much for mentioning this book. I knew there must be some self-help book out there to help coping with your loved ones getting it, but didn't know who to ask.

Folks - Senility can affect anyone. Some research has shown that there are some tips to help prevent it. Do these habits while you still can - play piano, guitar, violin, or some other instrument that utilizes finger dexterity. Studies have shown that this helps offset senility. Also, anything that uses the fingers helps - knitting, sewing, etc. I imagine typing/computer work probably helps too, but the studies I've seen didn't mention that.

14. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I think thats one of the hardest things..........seeing your loved one deteriorate like that. My Mom did in her last year of life. She told others that i was trying to have her locked up, that i thought she was nuts. They believed her, as she sounded "normal" when she talked to them. It was a hard time, as all i was doing was trying my best to take care of her.
    So i understand the heartaches you are going through.

15. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I with you the best to you and yours.

16. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    My great grandmother had Alzheimer's. She had 13 children; 12 girls and 1 boy. That one boy was my grandfather. When the Alzheimer's started really setting in, my grandfather was the only one she remembered. We had a birthday party for her, and some of the surviving girls pitched in and bought her a really nice Mickey Mouse watch, cause she loved Disney stuff. After the party, she went up to some of her daughters (she didn't know who they were) and asked them if they liked the watch her boy Sonny got for her. It really upset them, and some of them still won't talk to my grandfather to this day. But for some reason, she never forgot who my grandpa Sonny was.

Another quick story. When I was 7 years old, we were in West Allis on vacation. We had a birthday party for me and my great grandmother came. It was before the Alzheimer's got really bad, but she had started losing her memory. I walked passed her and she gave me a hug, a kiss and two dollars and said "Happy Birthday!" I said thank you and ran off to play. Well, not even 5 minutes later, I walked by her again and she gave me a hug, a kiss, two dollars and said "Happy Birthday!" Well, this happened about 3 or 4 more times that day. My mom finally noticed what was going on and took me aside and told me what was wrong with her. I felt horrible, cause I thought she was just being funny. I gave all but the original two dollars back, and she didn't even remember giving all that money to me.

17. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm so sorry to hear about your mother and the difficult position you, your father, and your family are in Heather.

My thoughts go out to you all, and I will definitely remember your mother and father in my prayers.

18. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all about!! All your prayers on this board have helped me so much, I truly appreciate all your friendships.

19. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I wish there was more we could do to help. I know you are feeling lost in this. Not being able to make it all better for your Mom takes a toll on you.
    We are here for you Hedder!