unrealistic expectations

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go look at the Packers from the late 90s on till Brett left

Other than a few teams here or there, that is exactly how those Pack teams did...Got to the playoffs all the time but never moved past the 1st rounds...

Vikings and Atlanta beat us at home...Why? Because we won the division by default most years is my theory.

No way. C'mon. There have been many years going back the past 10 that the black and blue beat up on the other NFC divisions. This is totally cyclical.

Just take a look at the division breakdowns/teams in each and come back and try and tell me our division is one of the weakest year after year. It's not.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Bring back Woodson! the Raiders gave him a little over 1 million last year and he was head and shoulders above our safties. He knows the system, has veteran leadership, and play making ability has been missed big time. IMO it was a huge mistake for TT to let him go and it bit them in the butt. None of his sorry picks (Jennings, MCMillen) worked out this year.

TT wants only young and cheap. He gathers as many young players as he can get, sifts them for any gold, and rejects the fools gold. It is a system that depends upon crossed fingers, lucky charms, and prayer.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT wants only young and cheap. He gathers as many young players as he can get, sifts them for any gold, and rejects the fools gold. It is a system that depends upon crossed fingers, lucky charms, and prayer.

...and has won more games the past 10 years than all but 4 other teams.

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

anywhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo................

Carry on!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

With early playoff exits smh. Glad he believes in his system. Sometimes change is ok.

D

Deleted member 6794

No, if I read right, they can cut him with a very low cap hit, around 6 mill?

It´s really fun how some people here bash the Niners for being in cap troubles but would consider $6.6 million a low cap hit to cut a safety one year after giving him a contract extension :confused:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No way. C'mon. There have been many years going back the past 10 that the black and blue beat up on the other NFC divisions. This is totally cyclical.

Just take a look at the division breakdowns/teams in each and come back and try and tell me our division is one of the weakest year after year. It's not.

I mis spoke on them having issues in the late 90's, it was more the early 2000

2005, 2006, 2000, and 1999 they missed the playoffs

2002 Packers won div with 12-4, 2nd place were the Vikings at 6-10...
Went 5-1 in div.....7-3 out side of their div

2003 won div with 10-6 , Vikings 2nd with 9-7....
Packers 4-2 in div...6-4 outside div

2004 won with 10-6, Vikings 2nd with 8-8...
Packers 5-1 in Div....5-5 outside div

My theory is they win the division by default technically..Then when they they made the playoffs they faced teams much better..

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With early playoff exits smh. Glad he believes in his system. Sometimes change is ok.

YOU my friend are S-P-O-I-L-E-D. The Packers are three years removed from a Super Bowl victory and are the 5th winningest team the past 10 years! The facts, yes - FACTS prove that the Packers are solidly in the top tier of successful franchises the past 20 years.

You wanna play a quiz game rodell330?

What do the Browns, Lions, Jets, Chiefs, Fins and Vikings have in common? ANSWER: It’s been THIRTY years or more since these teams last appeared in a Super Bowl or NFL Championship game! THIRTY years!!!

What do the Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans and Jacksonville Jaguars have in common? ANSWER: All are still waiting to make their FIRST Super Bowl appearance!

What do the Arizona Cardinals, Atlanta Falcons, Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, Cincinnati Bengals, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, San Diego Chargers, Seattle Seahawks and Tennessee Titans all have in common? ANSWER: Those clubs have NEVER won a Super Bowl!

What do the Bills, Browns, Raiders, Rams, Bucs, Jags, Dolphins, Titans, Cowboys, Bears, Cards and Jets have in common? ANSWER: It’s been three or more years since these teams have EVEN MADE the playoffs!

What do the Bengals, Lions, Chiefs, Bills, Browns, Fins, Raiders, Bucs and Titans have in common? ANSWER: It’s been TEN or more years since these teams have won ONE playoff game!

What do the Bengals, Skins. Lions. Fins, Browns, Chiefs and Bills have in common? ANSWER: It’s been TWENTY or more years since these teams have made it to a championship playoff game!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It´s really fun how some people here bash the Niners for being in cap troubles but would consider $6.6 million a low cap hit to cut a safety one year after giving him a contract extension :confused:

I dont think I said cut after one year..Nice try though...:tup:

I was going off on memory about the 6 mill..

The 6 mill I recall was the LAST year of the contract...and turns out my memory didnt fail me...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...urnett-four-contract-extension-213720693.html

The only guaranteed portion of the extension comes in the form of an $8.25 million signing bonus, which will be prorated against the cap ($1.65 million per season) over the next five seasons (2013-17).

Burnett's cap numbers the next five seasons are $3.192 million in 2013 (up from $1.542 million before the extension), $4.9 million in 2014, $5.15 million in 2015, $6.05 million in 2016 and $7 million in 2017.

They wont cut him this year or next year..They may cut him after the 2014 season if he doesnt perform like he used to.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As does every system. Are you actually under the impression that winning a SB is easy?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YOU my friend are S-P-O-I-L-E-D. The Packers are three years removed from a Super Bowl victory and are the 5th winningest team the past 10 years! The facts, yes - FACTS prove that the Packers are solidly in the top tier of successful franchises the past 20 years.

You wanna play a quiz game rodell330?

What do the Browns, Lions, Jets, Chiefs, Fins and Vikings have in common? ANSWER: It’s been THIRTY years or more since these teams last appeared in a Super Bowl or NFL Championship game! THIRTY years!!!

What do the Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans and Jacksonville Jaguars have in common? ANSWER: All are still waiting to make their FIRST Super Bowl appearance!

What do the Arizona Cardinals, Atlanta Falcons, Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, Cincinnati Bengals, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, San Diego Chargers, Seattle Seahawks and Tennessee Titans all have in common? ANSWER: Those clubs have NEVER won a Super Bowl!

What do the Bills, Browns, Raiders, Rams, Bucs, Jags, Dolphins, Titans, Cowboys, Bears, Cards and Jets have in common? ANSWER: It’s been three or more years since these teams have EVEN MADE the playoffs!

What do the Bengals, Lions, Chiefs, Bills, Browns, Fins, Raiders, Bucs and Titans have in common? ANSWER: It’s been TEN or more years since these teams have won ONE playoff game!

What do the Bengals, Skins. Lions. Fins, Browns, Chiefs and Bills have in common? ANSWER: It’s been TWENTY or more years since these teams have made it to a championship playoff game!
Come on. All you do is just sign a bunch of FAs and you automatically win. Its easy!

Forget that the teams you list who suck, some of them are very active in FA market. That doesn't matter. Point is, if WE signed FA we would automatically win the SB. I think they would just cancel the season and hand us the Lombardi. Yup.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

As does every system. Are you actually under the impression that winning a SB is easy?

I would just like for TT to expand his thinking and loosen up the purse strings a little for the sake of a SB season .

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would just like for TT to expand his thinking and loosen up the purse strings a little for the sake of a SB season .
Packers have spent in the top 5 of all NFL teams in during the TT tenure. (this was true 2 years ago, not sure now) He just doesn't give it out in big lump sums to other teams players.

Just don't think you are looking at anything beyond next season. TT needs to do that. If he had splurged on FAs a few years ago, we would right now be looking at loosing not only our current FAs, but the guys we extended - Rodgers, Matthews, etc. Its a zero sum game with the cap and you have to appreciate how effective TT has been with the dollars he has.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, we did win a SB in the last 5 years smh. Something only 3 other teams can say. SF is not among those teams.

Ok fine ill bite, San Francisco has been to 3 straight NFC title games and a SB so at least they are positioning themselves to at least have a freakin chance. What has GB done the past three years??

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Ok fine ill bite, San Francisco has been to 3 straight NFC title games and a SB so at least they are positioning themselves to at least have a freakin chance. What has GB done the past three years??

Zing !

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 years ago, the Packers won the Superbowl. If your goal is to get to the NFC Championship game, then I guess you should be proud of the 49ers.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

When a team has a limited window of opportunity, you either get bold or freeze in the cold. I want to see GB win another SB as quickly as possible. Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead !

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm, the cap hit for cutting him is $6.6 million this season (will be reduced by $1.65 million every season the Packers hold on to him), so I assumed you meant cutting him this year.

I never said this year..You did assume

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...rodell... did ya see the post of mine above and all of those historical numbers?!!! I fail to see how guys like you can ramble on like you do with all the hating without looking at FACTS.

You wanna talk JUST the past 3 years huh? Hmmmm... well...ok... 12 out of the NFL's 32 teams have not even MADE the playoffs the past 3 years.

The Packers just won their division, yet again, despite by far having the longest I.R. list in the NFL and then lost their first round game by a last second field goal. I tend to think the facts prove people like you are totally irrational, unrealistic and maybe a bit ADHD.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
YOU my friend are S-P-O-I-L-E-D.
Not even an attribution? http://www.packerforum.com/threads/the-sunshine-patriot.48885/#post-528647 :D

TT only wants "young and cheap" but what did “he” just pay Rodgers and Matthews? And it’s ironic that Smokeycheddar accuses Thompson of depending upon “crossed fingers, lucky charms, and prayer” when that is more applicable to those franchises that heavily depend upon UFA, praying all the pieces fit. A GM depending upon luck would be one who trades up in the draft time and time again; reaching to that player he’s sure is going to be a star. Thompson’s style is more cold and logical, the opposite of what Smokey alleges.

I didn’t watch an entire Raiders game this season but I watched every play of Woodson’s career in Green Bay. IMO he was a shadow of himself his last year with the Packers and his style was not conducive to playing safety. He grabbed a lot and had clearly lost a step IMO. Hayward emerged in his rookie season as the “wild card” Woodson played so well for so many seasons. I’m not saying Hayward was as good of course, but he displayed instincts and a nose for the ball.

IMO the mistake was not letting Woodson go, it was not acquiring a mid-priced UFA safety to pair with Burnett. The expectation was that the winner of the MD Jennings/McMillian battle would be good enough, but some of us thought it made more sense to sign a vet and there were a few mid-priced safeties available. The need to fill that hole with a vet is even greater this season since the only player currently at that position we could hope to step up is Sean Richardson. I have high hopes for him, but he shouldn't be depended upon to be the answer IMO. For the team to improve, MD Jennings has to be replaced or be relegated to the end of the roster. He started every game and didn’t have an INT but even more damning, he was not credited with a single pass defensed.

Thompson has said in the past that rookies should not be depended upon for immediate help, that’s the role of second or third year players familiar with the system. And he has said filling an immediate need is the role of a UFA. I hope he finds a way to do so at safety this off season. Of course we shouldn’t expect it to be one signed during the first week of UFA, but just like last season, it doesn’t need to be. If Capers is still the DC and his system requires experienced vets, Thompson should give him one to pair with Burnett if at all possible.

Regarding rookies immediately helping, of course that’s the hope but it shouldn’t be the expectation, even for a draft and develop team. Look at the 2010 draft class. The one draftee who looked like he could make an immediate impact, third rounder Burnett, started the first four games, got injured and was IR’d. Obviously not necessary for the title run. First rounder Bulaga made a great contribution but only ended up doing so because Tauscher started four games, got injured and was IR’d. Does anyone believe the Packers wouldn’t have won a title with a healthy Mark Tauscher at RT? Quarless played after Finley was IR’d and caught 21 passes and scored a TD in the regular season. CJ Wilson played but wasn’t a critical part of the DL. Mike Neal played in 2 games, injured his shoulder and was IR’d in week 7. Newhouse didn’t play (thank goodness). James Starks made a huge contribution of any rookie in 2010, but without Ryan Grant’s injury on opening day, he would not have been necessary. Unless you define an immediate impact as being available on the bench in case a starter goes down, none of the draftees of 2010 qualify. IOW, if the Packers had the luck of being as healthy as some of this year’s playoff teams, there would have been no need for an immediate impact from any of the rookie class of 2010.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 years ago, the Packers won the Superbowl. If your goal is to get to the NFC Championship game, then I guess you should be proud of the 49ers.

yea ok, but if your goal is to win the NFC North every year and get bounced early in the playoffs by the Niners and then be pissed that they are playing in NFC
title game every year so be it. I'm sure i'm not the only Packers fan who would prefer playing in the NFC Championship every year vs winning the NFC North every year. How has having the 1 playoff game at home worked out??

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea ok, but if your goal is to win the NFC North every year and get bounced early in the playoffs by the Niners and then be pissed that they are playing in NFC
title game every year so be it. I'm sure i'm not the only Packers fan who would prefer playing in the NFC Championship every year vs winning the NFC North every year. How has having the 1 playoff game at home worked out??

...hence...my ADHD comment.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When a team has a limited window of opportunity, you either get bold or freeze in the cold. I want to see GB win another SB as quickly as possible. Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead !

Yep... let's set the franchise back 20 years and blow our *** in 2014 so we can sit home watching the playoffs like half the NFL has the past 3 years!

Members online

Latest posts