Undrafted free Agents

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay - Of the three undrafted free agents the Green Bay Packers are known to have agreed to terms with on Sunday night, Rory Johnson stands out.

A 6-foot, 235-pound linebacker out of Mississippi, Johnson played alongside No. 11 overall pick Patrick Willis as a junior last season and projected as a third-round pick after recording 94 tackles and forcing five turnovers.

But after word got out he had tested positive for marijuana use at both Mississippi and Hinds (Junior) College, where he played his freshman and sophomore seasons, Johnson's stock dropped like a rock.

But the Packers, noting his production and 4.58-second time in the 40-yard dash, swooped in and snatched Johnson up shortly after the draft concluded.

"I don't think there's any secret about it; he had some problems when he was in school," said his agent, Richard Kopelman. "I believe that's in Rory's past. "I don't want to be labeled as an overprotective father, but I think it's a little bit unfair to place everything into the realm of character. But that's certainly what happens in the NFL.

"So he had to overcome that. It's difficult. I spent a lot of time talking to Rory today, trying to explain to him why it is that he ended up where he is."

Kopelman said the Detroit Lions also expressed interest, but ultimately Johnson saw more opportunity in Green Bay.

"We just felt Green Bay was a great place for Rory," Kopelman said. "It's a good fit for him. We think he has an excellent chance of making the team and actually contributing this year."

One member of Green Bay's coaching staff who ultimately had a hand in helping land Johnson was special teams assistant Shawn Slocum, who spent 2005 as assistant head coach and linebackers coach at Mississippi.

The Packers also agreed to terms with 6-3, 315-pound guard Pat Murray of Division II Truman State and 6-2½, 225-pound quarterback Jerry Babb of Louisiana-LaFayette.

Babb said he chose Green Bay over Jacksonville because he saw a chance to compete for the No. 3 quarterback job, which is currently held by second-year man Ingle Martin.

"I felt like it's a good fit for me," Babb said. "There really is an opportunity. That's the thing; just go in there and compete. I think heading into this draft, all I really wanted was a shot to get into a camp to see what I can do, and that's what the Packers are offering."

Another undrafted free agent the Packers are believed to have come to terms with is Juwan Simpson, a 6-2½, 227-pound linebacker from Alabama.

Wynn-win? The Packers no doubt did their due diligence looking into the background of running back DeShawn Wynn before taking him with the first of three seventh-round draft picks.

A Parade magazine All-American coming out of Reading High School in Cincinnati in 2001, Wynn experienced an up-and-down, five-year stay at the University of Florida that culminated in his nearly not being drafted at all because of questions about his commitment and work ethic.

Wynn redshirted in 2002 and then played in 21 games over his freshman and sophomore seasons, rushing for a combined 757 yards and 12 touchdowns before getting into the doghouse of new head coach Urban Meyer heading into the 2005 season.

Meyer suspended Wynn for the Gators' opener against Wyoming, although the details are somewhat sketchy.

According to his draft biography on NFL.com, Wynn was suspended after failing to make it onto the field for a play during pre-season drills because he was on the sideline talking on his cell phone.

But when asked about the incident Sunday, Packers general manager Ted Thompson referenced an issue with Wynn's grades, whereas Wynn said his suspension had to do with another incident altogether.

"It had to do off the field with a parking decal I got mixed up in," he said. "Not really directly, kind of indirectly, but it was Coach Meyer's first year, the first day he walked on campus he got me up in his office with this little decal incident and he thought it was the right thing to do at the time, so I had to take it."

The 5-foot-10½, 230-pound Wynn started 10 of 13 games last season as Florida won the national title, and also led the Gators in rushing with 630 yards. But it's likely he received less-than-glowing reviews from Meyer and his staff afterward.

"I had a lot of rumors going around about the stuff I did, but (there's) not too much you can do about rumors," Wynn said. "I just try to make an impression on people in a good way when I meet them. They might've heard something bad about me but once they meet me, I just want a fair chance."

Thompson said Wynn's drop into the seventh round made him a sound pick, and he didn't appear overly concerned about his other issues.

"He fell in the draft based on his talent, but by the seventh round we felt he was pretty fair valued to be able to take him," he said. "We don't think he's a character risk in terms of necessarily being a bad guy; he didn't abide by some of the rules they had there at the University of Florida."

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's some bios. First on Rory Johnson:

Rory Johnson
OLB | (6'1", 232, 4.59) | MISSISSIPPI

Scouts Grade: 70

Strengths: Has a quick first step, flashes the ability to locate the ball carrier quickly and can make plays at the line of scrimmage. Can slip blocks in space and shows above-average range. Closes well, plays with a mean streak and flashes the ability to deliver the big hit. Uses hands to protect legs, shows good balance and can fight off cut blocks. Gets adequate depth in drops and can cover a lot of ground in zone coverage. Changes directions quickly, explodes out of cuts and flashes above-average man-to-man cover skills. Though didn't get many opportunities to rush the passer, has the top-end speed and athletic ability to get to the quarterback. Progressed during only season at Mississippi and there is reason to believe will only get better with added experience.

Weaknesses: Lacks elite size and can get engulfed. Hasn't shown great upper body strength, doesn't use hands well and takes too long to shed blocks. Doesn't take great angles to the ball, gets caught out of position and probably would have benefited from staying in school to work on overall technique. Hasn't shown great instincts and is vulnerable to play action. Lacks ideal ball skills and isn't a playmaker in coverage. Took some time to adjust to scheme at Mississippi and has had some academic problems.

Overall: Johnson originally signed with Mississippi State in 2004 but chose to enroll at Hinds (Miss.) Community College where he spent the 2004 and 2005 seasons. He transferred to Mississippi in 2006 and appeared in all 12 games, recording 94 total tackles, three tackles for loss, 0.5 sacks, three forced fumbles, and two fumble recoveries.

Johnson is a risk-reward prospect with intriguing upside. Though he gets caught out of position far too much and he needs to get stronger at the point of attack, he has a good combination of quickness, speed and athletic ability. Johnson projects as a Day 2 pick.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Juwan Simpson
OLB | (6'2", 225, 4.55) | ALABAMA

Scouts Grade: 53

Strengths: An athletically gifted WLB prospect with above average top-end speed. He plays the game aggressively and shows good toughness for an undersized player. He fills hard and will throw his body around. Displays good upper body power for his size. Is a sideline-to-sideline playmaker versus the run. Possesses the speed and hip fluidity to match up one-on-one versus most running backs in the passing game. He gets a deep drop in zone coverage and can cover a lot of ground when he makes proper, timely reads. He also displays good ball skills and is a playmaker when the ball is in the air.

Weaknesses: Off-the-field problems are the biggest "red flag" as it pertains to his draft stock. Off-season arrest in 2005 led to a one-game suspension in 2006 and also raises obvious questions regarding his character. He is undersized and must prove he can add bulk without losing quickness. He lacks the base and lower body strength to win most of those battles versus bigger iso-blockers. His read-and-react skills are suspect. He can be undisciplined and will take himself out of some running plays by getting too far up-field. Takes the easy way out too often. Diagnoses some plays too late and will take too many false steps versus play-action. He has good burst as a pass rusher but gets washed out too easily at the line of scrimmage if he doesn't have a clear path to the quarterback.

Overall: Simpson was redshirted in 2002. In 2003, he played in all 12 games (three starts) and made 61 total tackles, two sacks, one forced fumble, and two fumble recoveries. Simpson appeared in 10 total games in 2004 and registered 32 total tackles, four tackles for loss, 0.5 sacks, and one fumble recovery. He started the first five contests, suffered a shoulder injury that kept him out of the next two games (Kentucky, Southern Miss), and then came off the bench the final five games. In 2005, Simpson started all 12 games and recorded 64 total tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, and two interceptions. He started 12 of 13 games in 2006, missing the Louisiana-Monroe game because of a suspension (9/16), and made 86 total tackles, six tackles for loss, one interception, and two forced fumbles.

Simpson is undersized and unable to consistently take on blockers in the phone booth. His motor also tends to run hot-and-cold. However, he possesses outstanding speed, agility and range -- versus the run and pass. Simpson has the physical tools to develop into a starting "WILL" linebacker in the NFL but only for teams that employ an undersized, athletic scheme like the Bears, Buccaneers and Colts. Concerns regarding his character could cause him to slip on draft weekend.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what I have for Babb ( had a workout for the Packers at Louisiana Lafayette on April 11. ):

Name: Jerry Babb
College: Louisiana-Lafayette
Height: 6-3 Weight: 225
Position: QB
40 Time: 4.69 40 Low: 4.65 40 High: 4.76

Pro Day results:
Dates: 03/13/07
Height: 6-3
Weight: 225
40 Yrd Dash: 4.67
20 Yrd Dash: 2.65
10 Yrd Dash: 1.56
Vertical Jump: 33
Broad Jump: 9'9"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.00
3-Cone Drill: 6.88

Looks like a mobile QB who was real inconsistent in college. His best passing day was 29-34 for 334, 2 TDs and 0 INT. His best rushing day was 22 rushes for 133 yards and a TD. Of course, he had a ton of stinkers too.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the bio for Birdline:

Larry Birdine
DE | (6'3", 261, 5.02) | OKLAHOMA

Strengths: Possesses good initial quickness, does a good job of anticipating the snap and is disruptive. Plays with a non-stop motor and is relentless in pursuit. Takes good angles to the ball and generally does a good job of closing down cutback lanes. Has good upper body strength, plays with a mean streak and flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly. Possesses good athletic ability and is an explosive open field tackler. Shows the ability to change directions quickly, can redirect inside after setting offensive tackles up to the outside and runs lint stunts well. Possesses good leaping ability, times jumps well and is capable of disrupting passing windows.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal top-end speed, doesn't have sideline-to-sideline range and is going to have problems turning the corner. Is undersized and is vulnerable to wearing down when teams consistently run at him. Lacks ideal lower body strength, plays too high at times and has problems anchoring working against powerful drive blockers. Missed 2005 season because of a biceps injury and durability is an issue.

Overall: Birdine was redshirted in 2002. He played in 14 games (one start) as a redshirt freshman in 2003, finishing the year with 24 total tackles, eight tackles for loss, four sacks, one interception, and one forced fumble. He appeared in 13 games (no starts) in 2004 and registered 40 total tackles, 11 tackles for loss, seven sacks, two forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery. Birdine tore a left biceps muscle prior to the 2005 season, missed the entire season and has returned for a fifth-year of eligibility in 2006. He appeared in 14 games in 2006, starting 13, and finished with 39 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, and one forced fumble.

Birdine has the quickness, tenacity and athletic ability to develop into a capable reserve that can also contribute on special teams in the NFL. However, he did not look like the same player in 2006 after missing all of the 2005 season year with an arm injury. He has never been dominant in any one area and he made even fewer big plays as a senior than he did prior to the injury during his sophomore and junior seasons (2003-'04). Birdine projects as a late-round selection in the 2007 draft.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both of those LB picks are nice additions. If this keeps up we can call our LB core 'The Dirty Dozen'. Or maybe 'The Scary Score'.

OP
OP
O

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers have signed seven undrafted free agents.

The team has not announced the signings, but they have been confirmed through agents, schools and NFL sources. They are:

Quarterback Jerry Babb of Louisiana-Lafayette
Guard Pat Murray of Truman State
Linebacker Rory Johnson of Mississippi
Linebacker Juwan Simpson of Alabama
Defensive end Larry Birdine of Oklahoma
Defensive lineman Daniel Muir of Kent State
Fullback Ryan Powdrell of Southern California

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Powdrell (6-0, 255, 4.9 40) is an interesting addition. He was out for the season in 06 with a real serious ankle injury he got in the 2nd game. He's just getting back into shape but he was a highly regarded FB at USC. He has very good hands and was a solid blocker. In just one game against Arkansas in 06, he had 4 catches for 72 yards (including a 44 yard TD).

Ironically enough, the guy he reminded most people of going into the season was William Henderson. He was also a real good ST guy.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Powdrell (6-0, 255, 4.9 40) is an interesting addition. He was out for the season in 06 with a real serious ankle injury he got in the 2nd game. He's just getting back into shape but he was a highly regarded FB at USC. He has very good hands and was a solid blocker. In just one game against Arkansas in 06, he had 4 catches for 72 yards (including a 44 yard TD).

Ironically enough, the guy he reminded most people of going into the season was William Henderson. He was also a real good ST guy.

I like this kid, nice guy to have in camp, competition will be fierce at FB.
I hope Zabransky does well at the texans, hes a winner.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah i wish we got zabransky... but oh well INGLE MARTIN is still here.

competition is gonna be fierce everywhere except QB this year.

i love it. watching Miree, a LBer, an undrafted free agent, and wynn compete for the FB is definetly gonna be awesome. may the best man win

OP
OP
O

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Wynn will stay at RB, he's fast big and strong, the only thing he doesn't have is a head if he can get one he will be a good powerback.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Wynn will stay at RB, he's fast big and strong, the only thing he doesn't have is a head if he can get one he will be a good powerback.

Headless RB?

I've heard of his uncle

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts