Unbiased opinion (is there such a thing?)

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, from a fan looking in from the outside, this is how I see the Pack.

First of all, I'm starting to enjoy rooting for this team. Maybe it's the challenge of being so young, fighting an uphill battle, with a new coach with new schemes and new player personnel all trying to mesh within a matter of months to form some kind of fighting chance. Which, obviously, isn't the easiest thing to do.

I see the 'want' out there in the players. I really do. Maybe the coaching gets lost somewhere in translation.

I'm seeing hustle initially...until the dam breaks. Then tackles get slipped, loafing happens, and minds wander. Which I can understand, cuz it's infectious when you lose over and over again. Still shouldn't be an excuse.

I don't believe Brett got sacked tonight, unless I'm mistaken. Props should be given to the O-line for pass protection.

Not so much for run blocking.

DD just had a bad game.

Don't know if Green would have helped a lick or not tonight.

I agree with someone in another thread that a pass-catching, "deeper threat" tight end would open up the offense for Brett.

Carroll just isn't made for corner. He's got the speed, but he doesn't have the footwork, the hips, nor the brain to function at any position in the secondary. Special teams may be his career forte.

I don't know if it's taken him a few games to get his legs back, or if he just 'felt' like playing tonight, but Woodson looked good (and yes, the first few games really bothered me).

I think the biggest change, the biggest impact the Packers need on defense, is a solid safety who understands the scheme and can watch over the corners when playing man. Sounds simple, but apparently it's not. Someone in the Donovan Darius mold would do wonders back there.

Not trying to step on any toes here...just my two cents.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your echoing my sentiments to a tee. I am reserving judgement on the coaching until the end of the year. I gave Sherman some time and MM deserves the same. If at the end of the year the team has shown consistant improvement then the year will be a sucess. If not... then the Ray Rhodes treatment may be in order.

ChrisC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points all, Joker. The run blocking bemuses me - I fail to see what the much-vaunted zone blocking scheme is giving us at present. Other than quite a turnover at RB (no pun intended!)

The pass protection may well have improved a little - or is it just that Brett is getting the ball out of there as fast as he can?! **** and dunk is OK for a while, but kinda ineffective once we fall behind.

Yourout - I take your point about time. However, if the Ray Rhodes treatment is given, then it will reflect very badly on the man who dumped Mike Sherman and then employed Mike McCarthy.

TT may well get the treatment around the same time! Now, that really would be meltdown.

Chris

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great post. One of the best posts I've read on this forum in a very long time.

Some valid points made.

Woodson actually did make a nice play on the play he was hurt and when he was taken out Philly went right to work on Carroll and they when ever Green Bay went to nickel or dime they stayed with it. That's a good coaching move and making halftime adjustments. GB didn't look like they made that. It looked like they were happy that they were winning at half. Nothing wrong with that but you play to win and not to protect your lead especially when it's still the 3rd quarter and your still only up by 2. McCarthy did that and it was down hill from there. The best players on the team played bad. Driver was awful. Favre struggled in the 2nd half. Harris had a couple early calls. It was just one of those games where the vets just played bad.

I'm hoping for 2-3. I didn't expect to win this game. I think the Rams at home is a winnable game. So 2-3 would be decent enough going into the bye week. We still play the Lions, 49ers, and Dolphins this year so there are a lot of winnable games. GB needs to take advantage of that. If they lose to the Rams next week then I think it's safe to say even a respectable season is all but lost.

ChrisC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky

You make some good points. Basically inconsistent play and getting out-coached by someone who's been at it for a good deal longer.

I can't really share your optimism about the Rams game - they stacked up a whole lotta points last week, and our secondary is not inspiring much confidence. (Early bid for "Understatement of the Year" Award!)

I hope you are right - respectability would be great round about now :-?

Chris

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ChrisC said:
Yourout - I take your point about time. However, if the Ray Rhodes treatment is given, then it will reflect very badly on the man who dumped Mike Sherman and then employed Mike McCarthy.

TT may well get the treatment around the same time! Now, that really would be meltdown.

Chris

Exactly, if Ted in fact does continue the apparent trend of holding his personel very tightly while seeming to not give a **** about the rest, there will come a point very soon where Ted would get the boot too. There is a lot to be said about surrounding yourself with personel that you feel comfortable with, but if his master plan doesn't begin to materialize by the end of the season, ol' Uncle Teddy might be out of a job, too.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ChrisC said:
I can't really share your optimism about the Rams game - they stacked up a whole lotta points last week, and our secondary is not inspiring much confidence. (Early bid for "Understatement of the Year" Award!)

Rams did it to the Lions. Green Bay did it to the Lions.

The one thing going good for us on defense is we've been able to play the run a lot better this year than last. So if we can shut down Jackson we force the rams to be one dimensional. The only problem is that hasn't helped us because the deep ball is always open for the team. Bulger should have a big game but their defense in my opinion is inconsistent. The Lions put up 34 on them so GB is capable of putting up big numbers as well especially with Green back in the game and Morency showing he might be able to be a nice 3rd down back.

We'll see though. I think the Rams win but I certainly think GB can win this game where as I thought Philly would blow the Pack out.

ChrisC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky

(Congrats, new moderator! :packbeer: Gotta keep on your right side :wink: )

I admire your optimism - seem to have misplaced mine this season :lol:

I guess I'm just saying that if we score 34, then they will most likely score 41 ...

I will be delighted to be proved wrong though!! :cheerleader:

Chris

Reaction score
ChrisC said:
Porky

(Congrats, new moderator! :packbeer: Gotta keep on your right side :wink: )

I admire your optimism - seem to have misplaced mine this season :lol:

I guess I'm just saying that if we score 34, then they will most likely score 41 ...

I will be delighted to be proved wrong though!! :cheerleader:

Chris

Well if we continue to only have 10 men on the field, you don't have to worry about being proved wrong anytime soon. :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts