1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Unbelievable act of sportsmanship.

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by MontanaBob, May 1, 2008.

1. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sportsmanship is alive and well, at least in Portland Oregon. Western Oregon University was hosting Central Washington University in a softball game for a playoff spot. Sara Tucholsky from Western Oregon, hit a home run, her first ever, but as she rounded first base she collapsed with a knee injury. She crawled back to first base and couldn't continue. Rules state that no players or coaches can assist a player on their own team. Two members from Central Washington, Mallory Holtman, and Liz Ashworth went out and asked the umpire if they could assist her. It's not against the rules, so they lifted her up and helped her around the bases, stopping at each base so Sara could touch the base with her good foot.
    Sara's injury is a probable torn ligament and her season is over, but thanks to the help from opponents, Western Oregon went on to win 4-2 and secure a spot in the conference play-offs. Western Washington was eliminated.

By the way, Liz Ashworth who helped carry Sara, grew up next door to us and went to Florence Mt. high school, where she was a class B all state selection at shortstop. I'm sort of proud of that girl right now.

2. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    As you should be Bob.. the girls and teams on both sides should.

That is what sports should be all about.. sportsmanship and a sense of pride in victory or defeat.

3. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,484
  4. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for posting that picture, longtimefan. I couldn't get one off the story that was in our paper. This is what sports and life is all about. I have a saying that I had printed up on a nice sign many years ago. It goes like this:

"Games are for Now
    Friends are Forever,
    Scores are forgotten,
    But good friends, Never."

"Play Hard; Play Fair
    Leave with new friends."

5. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    lol, the injured girl looks like she's laughing. She's faking!

"heh heh, suckers. That's right. Carry me all the way around, slaves."

6. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    They were laughing Trom. The article said by the time they got her to second base they started giggling and laughing about how goofy they must look carrying her around. :lol:

7. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I saw this on sports center. It really hits me emotionally when I see people do whats right, especially to their own detriment. True upstanding charachter.

Let your neighbor know she deserves all and any attention she gets.

8. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not a biologist, but I think with a serious injury, you get a rush or adrenaline or something so you don't get overwhelmed by pain. I've had it happen a few times and didn't feel a thing, but threw up hours afterwards when I was able to feel pain again.

9. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Well when I blow out my knee... I crack open the toolbox and allen wrenches, pull out a couple of bolts and throw in a new one.. what is so hard about that. :lol:

10. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Jeez Pack93z...I thought you said "alien" wrenches. Kinda threw me for a second.

11. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    :shock: They're onto me!!! :shock: :lol:

Classy ladies Bob! Good to see that there are still some unselfish people in this messed up world!

12. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty cool. While the article states "Western Orgeon went on to win...eliminitating Western Washington" the way I heard it on TV was that this HR was the game winner. Even cooler!

13. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Allan is an alien.. :shock: ... does explain a little though. :lol:

[​IMG]

14. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Alright Pack, I am charging you big bucks for copyright infringement for using a photo I took!

15. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    LOL.... like trying to get blood from a stone there pal.. unless that is you are willing to take a assortment of slightly used limbs in return. :shock:

16. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Here is a video of Dana Jacobson interviewing the girls on ESPN:
    Click here

17. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    They should have got her around 3rd base, and then threw her out at home plate!!!! :lol:
    (j/k!!!!)

By the way.........I am NOT from Mars........I'm from "Uranus!" :lol:

18. djcubez

djcubez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's because they're girls. They don't know anything about competition. Just kidding but seriously, if this was a College World Series Game do you see this happening? Probably not. I got lots of respect for these classy ladies!

19. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    To me, this was a class act of true sportsmanship. Knowing Liz, this is exactly what she would do. To often we get caught up in the "Win at All Costs" mode and I don't buy into that. I'm extremely proud of what she and her teammates did, and saw that this was a game and years down the road no one is going to come back and say, "Look what you did, you cost us a chance in the play-offs."

Sports Illustrated "Sportswomen of the Year."

20. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Great story. Way to busy to post today. Talk to you all tomorrow. Except for the_truth and phil.

21. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    This is so very cool.

They obviously have a great manager, to let them make this remarkable statement of sportsmanship, despite it meaning a loss.

I bet Bill Belichick is their manager, and manages these girls in the NFL off season.

22. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What an awesome story. Thanks for sharing it. It made my day.

23. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    :agree:

24. djcubez

djcubez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    TT probably told them that each base they carry her it's worth an extra draft pick :p