ULTIMATE PACKERS MOCK DRAFT

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without any trades, how about this mock...
(1) Ted Ginn Jr. (great spped, and would give us that speed WR that our offense needs. Plus he can play special teams
(2) Kenny Irons (great running back from Auburn, with good speed, and great in between the tackles. runs hard)
(3) Steve Smith (would give Favre another weapon, very polished and was the most complete WR at USC. This would give us a WR corp of Drvier, Jnenings, Ginn, Smith, Fegruson, and Martin) Robinson will not contribute until at least 5 or 6 games into the season.

This is just day one

My honest opinion.

Ginn Jr. I think is overrated. I think he'll be a Desmond Howard. A lot of hype but ends up making most of his big plays on special teams. He is a very raw prospect that quite frankly won't have a huge impact until 2 or 3 years into his career. He's still learning the position.

Kenny Irons I think is a 3rd round pick. He was okay at the Senior Bowl. He's about 197 pounds. Looks more like a change of pace back. Doesn't really have the explosiveness.

Steve Smith I do like though. Has great hands. I really don't like his size though as we do need a tall redzone target.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure that TT will take a safety in the draft, but what safeties are coming up in the draft that would be good picks?

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(1) Ted Ginn Jr. (great spped, and would give us that speed WR that our offense needs. Plus he can play special teams
(2) Kenny Irons (great running back from Auburn, with good speed, and great in between the tackles. runs hard)
(3) Steve Smith (would give Favre another weapon, very polished and was the most complete WR at USC. This would give us a WR corp of Drvier, Jnenings, Ginn, Smith, Fegruson, and Martin) Robinson will not contribute until at least 5 or 6 games into the season.

This is just day one

I like your picks but don't count on Ferguson being on the team next year.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok overall but I doubt we take defense in first three rounds. Bigger needs at WR and RB and that will be 2 of first 3 picks.

I completely disagree. While many of us can see the need to upgrade offensive skill positions, it is obvious that TT is committed to upgrading the defense.

I believe that TT sees our offense as being adequite and that we'd do better creating a very strong defense. After the season TT was asked about upgrading the TE position and his response was,"what's wrong with our TEs?"

With that consideration, I would not at all be surprised to see the first day of the draft go to defensive players. I don't think it would kill this team either. We've got fair RBs in Green, Morency, Herron and Beach. We've got decent WRs in DD, Jennings, Fergie, Holliday, Martin and possibly KRob. We've got plenty of TEs, although they really need to improve their production. On the flip side, the defense really needs to upgrade the backup CBs and starting safety positions. Plus we could use another DE prospect on the DL, although we appear to be solid at DT and LB.

The major need I can see on offense is our backup OL. We definitely need to develop a couple of backup tackles to take over for Clifton and Tauscher in the next couple years. After that, we need a receiving threat at TE. Both of these needs are better served in the later rounds though: zone blocking OL tend to be rated lower in the draft and this is a weak draft at TE.

GO PACK GO!!!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drich318 said:

This is just day one

Actually Fergie is still a team favorite and has support from TT. I'm rather confident that he will get at least one more chance to prove himself this season, no matter how much the rest of us disagree.

IMHO Fergie was well on his way to becoming a good WR until that close-line a couple years ago. If he can overcome his mental block about taking hits due to that play, then I think he could become a good player. Otherwise we won't see anything better that his recent production.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
Drich318 said:

This is just day one

Actually Fergie is still a team favorite and has support from TT. I'm rather confident that he will get at least one more chance to prove himself this season, no matter how much the rest of us disagree.

IMHO Fergie was well on his way to becoming a good WR until that close-line a couple years ago. If he can overcome his mental block about taking hits due to that play, then I think he could become a good player. Otherwise we won't see anything better that his recent production.

Fergusson is finishedd i hope we trade him ... before TT decides to cut him

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fergusson is finishedd i hope we trade him ... before TT decides to cut him

We can all hope and wish for that to happen, but there's little doubt in my mind that TT will give him another chance to prove himself. IMO if he stays healthy, then we can only expect about 35-40 catches, which is about what we got out of Chatman.

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love how you hate on Lynch for something he didn't do. Then in a later post talk about getting Brandon Merriwether in round 2. Merriwether has character issues, major character issues...

Members online

Latest posts