Ugh apparently Carroll hasnt changed

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | A. Carroll and R. Martin scuffle at minicamp
Fri, 19 May 2006 14:16:43 -0700

The Associated Press reports Green Bay Packers CB Ahmad Carroll and WR Ruvell Martin got into a brief scuffle on the practice field during the team's minicamp Friday, May 19.

Maybe he will never bloody learn.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not gonna do...what everyone thinks im gonna do...and flip out, man! - Brian, Half Baked

Ruvell Martin was like "let go of me *****, I am trying to make the team and I cant get anywhere because you keep holding me!"

OP
OP
S

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well when it appears that the dude is going to have a good attitude and then he goes into one of the first few practices and gets into it with another player, that is not a good sign. I'm not saying he should get cut or anything, and I do understand that a little disagreement between players that doesn't get too out of hand, isn't a horrible thing, i just though Carroll would have matured a little more by now.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im not reading about any other scuffles that include a person who has been in fistfights with teammates before and was arrested for assault this offseason...dont overract? as if this is a first time thing? right when he supposedly matured. sigh....

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
im not reading about any other scuffles that include a person who has been in fistfights with teammates before and was arrested for assault this offseason...dont overract? as if this is a first time thing? right when he supposedly matured. sigh....

or...

over react... who am i to say, right?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what does he have to do, kick mccarthy in the nuts?? he's a bad egg...and thats it.

i like to look at the positives of people(i hope manuel pans out and taylor, i hope ahman\najeh stays healthy,etc) but hes enterting year 3(the breakout year) and hes as ***** as ever. whatever...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well coach mccarthy says its dumb (ok, he said 'not smart' which means...dumb) and I agree. 2 years in a row of this nonsense, plus an offseason where hes arrested. get this kid out of my sight! rabble rabble rabble.

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like Carroll but I don't see a real big deal here. A little scuffle in practice, so what. It happens often and happened much more in years past where reporters and fans didn't have access to as many practices. :crazy:

DeusNova

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing him gone. His attitude can't be good for the lockeroom.

Hawkins could fill his spot and maybe bring in that cb from Tennesse that they were looking at (Beckham?)

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I read threads like this I have to wonder whether some of you ever played football.

Practices get intense, especially when you have a bunch of rookies trying to make an impression. They happen frequently and are not a big deal -- unless the media or someone else try and make a big deal out of it.

This is not a locker room fight or an off the field incident -- it was two guys jawing and pushing each other.

Big Flippin Deal! Do you want them to wear skirts too?

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
they do happen frequently...with ahmad carroll.

Im with mccarthy on this one, sorry.

Not picking on you, but how are you with McCarthy on this one?

McCarthy has not bad mouthed Carroll, not has he said he hopes he ends up cut.

Coaches always give lip service to how stupid this things are... until players are not as intense as they want them to be, then they comment on how they liked the Veteran leadership in stepping up the intensity.

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill because of an irrational destain you have for A. Carroll.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
When I read threads like this I have to wonder whether some of you ever played football.

Practices get intense, especially when you have a bunch of rookies trying to make an impression. They happen frequently and are not a big deal -- unless the media or someone else try and make a big deal out of it.

This is not a locker room fight or an off the field incident -- it was two guys jawing and pushing each other.

It's not so much his bad attitude.

Let's face the facts. If Carroll was peforming up to what Sherman thought he could, nobody would care if he got in a scuffle.

Fact is Carroll continues to strugge. Continues to get in trouble on and off the field. punches Joey Thomas. Get arrested in the off season. I remember the pre season came against the Pats. He tackled Corey Dillon and started picking something with him. Then he did other Pats players. He has a bad attitude and he's not productive.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Bruce said:

Let's face the facts. If Carroll was peforming up to what Sherman thought he could, nobody would care if he got in a scuffle.

Fact is Carroll continues to strugge. Continues to get in trouble on and off the field. punches Joey Thomas. Get arrested in the off season. I remember the pre season came against the Pats. He tackled Corey Dillon and started picking something with him. Then he did other Pats players. He has a bad attitude and he's not productive.

no, porky, its irrational destain(whatever that is. maybe you meant disdain, bruce). and its not irrational...how is not liking a guy who disappoints,draws penalties,gets into fistfights with teammates, and gets arrested in the offseason IRRATIONAL 'DESTAIN?'

sounds pretty rational to me. if you like AC, thats cool...but calling me irrational on this one is silly. dont be silly.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I did mean Irrational Disdain (it is late and I am tired) but look at what you wrote when Carroll was arrested:

tromadz said:
words....can not describe the joy I feel.

He is almost certain to be dealt with now.

Fights with joey thomas, celebrations after mediocre tackles, complaining to refs after he mauls recievers, and now he gets himself arrested for assault.

beautfiul.

beautiful.

I dont think this is the kind of person TT and MM are talking about when they say we need to get "Packer People."

and I have a frosty from wendys on the way here, oh this is a wonderful day.

tromadz said:
oh god this day is great. im over here rubbing my nipples, smiling...oh god...what a great day. if this turns out to be false, ill be so upset.

but so far...oh what a feeling. oh yeah...

I don't think I was being silly or unfair in my comment. I have no problem with our different views of his talent or of his ability. It is you getting so excited any time some thing goes wrong with this 22 year old that seams "silly" to me.

tromadz said:
porky88 said:
Bruce said:

no, porky, its irrational destain(whatever that is. maybe you meant disdain, bruce). and its not irrational...how is not liking a guy who disappoints,draws penalties,gets into fistfights with teammates, and gets arrested in the offseason IRRATIONAL 'DESTAIN?'

sounds pretty rational to me. if you like AC, thats cool...but calling me irrational on this one is silly. dont be silly.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackwillBEback said:
Bruce said:

You fool, they are professionals. This is a Professional league, not some pop warner/high school crappy league.

Actually I was talking Professional football.

I didn't play pop warner nor for a crappy high school league -- maybe you did which would explain the reference. But I did play and coach football for many years including on some championship teams.

I am not a fool, but am amused that someone I have never talked or exchanged posts with feels at liberty to call me one.

Good reminder of why I don't often come to this site.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is a guy who used to mix it up quite a bit too. BTW Frank Winters got in more fights in Camp than just about any Packer player in history -- but I guess you probably wanted him cut too.

Simmons was larger-than-life figure
By MARTIN HENDRICKS

Editor's note: The 2006 NFL season marks the 10th anniversary of the 1996 Green Bay Packers, who finished the regular season at 13-3 and went on to defeat New England in Super Bowl XXXI. Over the next several issues, Packer Plus, in its "Flashback" feature, will focus on a different member of that championship team.

"When I line up across from you, I will destroy you and I will crush you."

That statement from Wayne Simmons in the 1997 Green Bay Packers media guide reflected the intensity and attitude of the former linebacker, who played for the Packers from 1993-1997.

In August 2002, Simmons was killed in a one-car crash on Interstate 70 at about 2:45 a.m. in Independence, Mo. Simmons reportedly was driving alone at a high rate of speed and was weaving his Mercedes-Benz through traffic when he lost control and his vehicle went off the road.

According to Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports, his car rolled over several times and landed in a ditch before the engine caught fire. Witnesses tried to rescue Simmons from the burning vehicle, but could not unfasten his seat belt. He was extricated from the wreckage by firefighters and pronounced dead at Independence Regional Health Center.

Simmons, a 6-foot-3, 250-pound left outside or "Buck" linebacker, was a fierce competitor who enjoyed his reputation as one of the nastiest players in the National Football League.

Just ask teammate Frank Winters, the former Packer center who shared the same reputation.

"I played every down like it was my last, that's the only way I knew how to play football," Winters said. "Wayne was just an intense guy who played hard, whether in games or at practice. It was just his nature. He brought a certain toughness and presence to our defense at a time when we needed it.

"He was an intense guy off the field, too. He loved to have fun and party, was always loud, and liked to joke around with his teammates. He lived life at a fast pace. He worked hard and played hard."

Winters said as he gets older, he reflects on the loss of some of the key members on the Packers Super Bowl-winning team of 1996.

"As I sit back and think about it, we've lost some people from that team," Winters said. "First Fritz (Shurmur, defensive coordinator) to cancer, then Wayne to an unfortunate accident, and then Reggie White.

"You hate to see such great people pass away tragically. It makes me think back to all the moments we had and enjoy them, because it all goes by so fast."

Winters said Simmons did not get along with every member of the coaching staff, but he was a favorite of Shurmur's.

"I think Fritz liked his 'hard-***' kind of attitude," Winters said. "I remember on the sidelines of some games, Fritz would yell at Wayne and Wayne would yell right back. After the game, they're hugging each other in the locker room. I think Fritz really loved Wayne for who he was and how he played the game. They seemed to feed off each other.

"Wayne didn't get along perfectly with everybody - if it were up to Wayne we'd be hitting in practice 24/7, and that's not the way Coach Holmgren wanted it done."

In his five-year Green Bay career, he played in 64 games, including starting in the Packers' 35-21 victory over New England in Super Bowl XXXI in New Orleans.

Six games into the 1997 season, Simmons was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs as the Packers coaches decided to go with Seth Joyner as their starter.

"Wayne was one of the most physical guys in the league, especially at the point of attack," said LeRoy Butler, former Packer safety.

"I remember hearing that he died on a sports channel, and then getting a call from a former teammate, George Koonce. Once Wayne arrived in Green Bay, we never had a problem with the tight end again. His claim to fame was that he was a tough guy. He took out one or two guys on a play, which allowed me to make some plays on defense."

Butler said he remembers Simmons' stellar play against the San Francisco 49ers in the 1995 NFC divisional playoff game.

"He took Brent Jones, a Pro Bowl player, right out of the game," Butler said.

Simmons also set the tone for the game on the 49ers' first offensive play, leveling fullback Adam Walker on a screen pass. The ensuing fumble was scooped up and returned 31 yards for a touchdown by rookie cornerback Craig Newsome.

The physical play of the Packer defense created four turnovers and pressured San Francisco quarterback Steve Young all afternoon, as Green Bay shocked the reigning Super Bowl champions by a 27-17 margin.

Simmons had a career game, accounting for a personal best 16 tackles (11 solo) and a quarterback sack.

"Wayne Simmons was an intense, all-out football player, probably the most intense player I've ever encountered," said Lee Remmel, team historian. "He was very committed to the game of football and had a productive career with the Packers."

Simmons was the Packers' No. 1 draft choice in 1993 after stellar collegiate play at Clemson and as an all-state high school player at Hilton Head (S.C.) High School.

He overcame a pre-season knee injury in 1993 to start eight games and play in 14. Simmons earned NFL all-rookie honors for his play, which included 39 tackles, one sack, and two interceptions.

The 1994 season was one to forget, as Simmons sprained his left knee in the third pre-season game and was inactive for the Packers first four regular-season games. In his absence, Bryce Paup flourished and became the starter, earning Pro Bowl honors. Simmons appeared in 12 games and started one, and was a key contributor to special teams.

Paup was lured away from Green Bay by Buffalo for a multi-million-dollar contract after the season, paving the way for Simmons to excel in 1995. He started all 16 regular season and three playoff games, finishing as the Packers' second-leading tackler with a career-high 103, including 68 solo.

The athletic linebacker lived up to his potential, wreaking havoc with his physical brand of play and ability to make the big play. He had a career-high four sacks and five passes defended, along with a forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

In an article by Gary D'Amato of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in the 1995 Packer Yearbook, Shurmur said Simmons "has worked extremely hard - I mean really, really hard. He has worked his butt off from a physical standpoint. Mentally, he's really tuned in."

Winters said Simmons "had a great season and was a key member of our defense. And he was one of our vocal leaders every Sunday. He came into his own in 1995."

Simmons was a key contributor to the Packers' 1996 Super Bowl team, and tested free agency before resigning with the Packers after a long conversation with coach Mike Holmgren. The Packers traded Simmons to Kansas City on October 7, 1997

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe you're comparing those guys to Ahmad Carroll.....

but, whatever, have fun with that(im not looking to get into a big thing here)

I also found it funny Carroll gets into another scuffle, and then he misses the second practice due to an "ankle injury." Could "Ankle Injury" be code for "disciplinary action?" Just something to think about. For whatever reason, he missed the second practice...

I like competitive guys with fire in their bellies...but there is a difference between competitive and being a frustrated,immature bonehead.

This is year 3 for him, the "breakout year." I hope he does well, because that means the packers will do great things...but Im not putting my money into bodog just yet that he will be a pro bowler. He will spend his breakout year on the bench, coming in for nickel and dime packages....nice.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to get into a big deal either. I brought up those two guys because they got into practice fights all the time. Besides, I thought people might appreciate the article.

Back to Carroll, I am fine with this 22 year old playing in nickel and dime packages and learning from two smart Vets (Woodson and Harris). It is not his fault that he was thrown to the wolves at such a young age. Depth at CB is critical and he provides it. Don't forget, it has been quite a few years since Woodson made it through a season without going down and on to injured reserve (knock on wood). I will be very happy if Carroll plays top DB off the bench in the various packages this team will run -- because it will mean that Harris and Woodson are healthy and performing.

He turned an ankle (nothing serious) -- another thing that happens frequently in mini-camps where passing drills are highlighted.

If he were being disciplined you can bet the starving media would be all over it.

tromadz said:
I can't believe you're comparing those guys to Ahmad Carroll.....

but, whatever, have fun with that(im not looking to get into a big thing here)

I also found it funny Carroll gets into another scuffle, and then he misses the second practice due to an "ankle injury." Could "Ankle Injury" be code for "disciplinary action?" Just something to think about. For whatever reason, he missed the second practice...

I like competitive guys with fire in their bellies...but there is a difference between competitive and being a frustrated,immature bonehead.

This is year 3 for him, the "breakout year." I hope he does well, because that means the packers will do great things...but Im not putting my money into bodog just yet that he will be a pro bowler. He will spend his breakout year on the bench, coming in for nickel and dime packages....nice.