1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

UFO's : Who else here believes there is life out there?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by FrankRizzo, Jan 18, 2013.

1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I am 99% sure there's life out there.
    Since out there is so gigantic that we cannot even fathom how much is out there......odds are overwhelming that there is other life out there.
    Since I believe in God, I also believe He created it all.... and there has to be a reason, purpose, for all those things out there..... not to mention I've seen a lot of things which lead me to believe our Gov't (and others) are well-aware of other life.

Best UFO/alien themed movies:

Fire In the Sky
    Close Encounters of the Third Time
    Super 8.
    The UFO Incident
    Battleship
    War of the Worlds
    Contact
    Predator
    Hangar 18
    The Arrival

If anyone is here with me, this might interest you> http://www.educatinghumanity.com/2012/07/best-ufo-documentaries-all-full-version.html
    Some great stuff there!

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    I do

**edit** as the topic got out of hand FAST

Start over

3. Darth Garfunkel

Darth Garfunkel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +495
    Since the launch of Hubble and now the Kepler telescopes scientists estimate that there are 100 billion planets in our own galaxy. They have also estimated 100's of billion's of galaxies outside of the Milky Way. Odds are good that we're not a special or unique life form.

Have a look at this map of our galaxy and then consider that most religious texts don't even account for other continents on our own planet much less other planets or other galaxies. I'm not trying to diss anyone's beliefs but just pointing out what is known via religious texts vs what is known via scientific inquiry.

http://tzontonel.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/national-geographic-milky-way-reference-map1.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I'll say that, while thinking of life on other planets makes me a bit... uneasy, I do think that saying life exists here and only here is very naive. Bringing the Bible into certain discussions can be very hairy. While in general terms, Christians (myself included) might say that it that the Living Word, which is part of what creates faith in us, tells us everything we need to know, I don't think it tells us everything there is to know. And I don't think God, who inspired it, or the writers, who recorded it, ever intended that. Forcing that point is akin to a parent nuking an argument with their kid by saying "Because I said so!" Nothing is resolved and that's rarely the end. It usually just blows up the situation; that's what happens when you try to make the Bible do something it was never intended to do. Our attempts to control things by invoking its authority lose control rather than secure it.

All this is to say, I wouldn't be surprised if there are aliens out there. lol

Sorry mods, for the faith stuff. Delete if you think that's what's best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    we are not alone........(x-files music)........

6. Darth Garfunkel

Ratings:
    +495
    I'm pretty sure I've seen some E.T.s walking around downtown Milwaukee

7. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Since God, as viewed by Judeo-Christianity theism, is not native to Earth, would He not, by definition, be an alien?

*am not gonna be surprised if this turn in thread gets bounced by the mods*

8. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    Yep, Martin Luther talks about God as "alien" a ton.

9. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    This is OKAY

but no arguing or etc..on the subject

I had to edit MY posts and delete others already...So wont take much at all for an argument to start

10. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    to think that we are the only ones in such a vast universe is small closed minded thinking. The reason the aliens have stopped making official visits, as they did 1000's of years ago, is that they know we as a society would be so quick to pull the trigger on outside visitors and we can no longer be controlled. We have to much war, polution, hunger etc..... for them to even want to make social contact. We are most likely considered the c0ck roaches of the universe and nobody wants anything to do with us. Not to mention they would also speculate that if they did share their advanced knowledge with us, that we would use it for a unintended mannor for bad things like new war weapons.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Assuming visitors a few millenia ago, I think we were treated as young children and guided onto our current path. Then "they" left us alone to see what we could become. Sort of like going off to college / leaving home as young adults. If and when we mature enough, they will be back to add our input to the galactic society.
    Up until a century or two ago we did not have much to endanger an alien. Until then most weaponry was up close and personal except for the bows and throwing sticks. I think their watchful eye and guiding influence has and will prevent us from destroying ourselves . But to be benign, they must remain invisible so as to not overtly influence our growth otherwise we will not follow our own path but that of our meddlers.

12. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    I definitely don't think we are the only intelligent life in the universe. Have we been visited by other intelegent beings? It's possible, there are a lot of mystery's of the ancient world that might point to the possibility that at some time we may have had extraterrestrial visits.

But I don't think it is probable. A civilization would need the technology and time to travel the vast distances of space. It would also need to survive long enough to develop this capability. If they were to follow our template they would extinct themselves before they achieved that ability.

I do love good Sci-fi, Firefly, Star Trek.....

13. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,036
    For us to have been visited by OTHER intelligent beings, you have to assume that what we have is intelligence as opposed to lunacy.
    Which one is it, good SciFi or Star Trek. Can't be both.:laugh:

14. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    I have to agree with your first sentence. The "Original" Star Trek was awesome for it's time. The latest movie was also great. "He's Dead Jim"

15. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,036
    True that. Once Rodenberry was no longer in control of the franchise, it came to much dependent on time travel. Need a plot? Time travel. Killed a popular character? Time travel and / or alternate universe. Way to much messing with the timeline including this latest movie. Now that the original timeline has been destroyed, they are no longer constrained by canon. Anything goes. Pretty much start a new series based off the works of others instead of starting from scratch.

16. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think sasquatch are more likely than flying saucers, but sure... why not?

17. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Both kinda fall into the same zone IMO. Sightings of both all over the world, fuzzy pics of both, both are subject to controversy. But, I think both do exist. Aliens: how can some little kid from russia draw a picture of an alien that he saw and some little kid from wyoming (both just location type example) draw the same picture....the kids never met and have no reason to draw a fantasy picture that copy each other. Same with big foot and all the people who have seen him or it. My only thing about bigfoot is this: why, if hunters have claimed to have seem him, has he not been shot and killed and put on the front page of every news paper? My ex-wife claims she saw one when she was little. She said her and her cousin were playing in the woods behind their house in South Carolina and claims one was watching them play. She seems pretty damn convinced of what she saw. When i asked her cousin about the incident, she had the EXACT same story and was kinda scared to tell me about it. Both wont go back to that area, even to this day.

18. Darth Garfunkel

Ratings:
    +495
    Kind of long but a really interesting take on the whole thing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    We watch Finding Bigfoot but I would bet against him existing, as the same with the Lochness Monster.

But aliens, IMO, are almost a certainty.

20. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    These guys are talking about from another planet not heaven