UEFA Champions League

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Boy, Jurgen Klopp sure is an arrogant cuss. While Jupp Heynckes expresses admiration and respect for Dortmund, Klopp seethes with disdain for Bayern. He wants to keep reminding them of last year. Bulletin board material abounds for Bayern.

He's on the windup, there is a fine line to tread there though. Alex Ferguson was the master of Mindgames he gave Di Stefano* a large bottle of whisky just before kick-off in a final. It worked he was non plussed. Although i don't think Klopp is anywhere near his level of smarts, he should be saying (at least in public) is how fantastic and incredible Bayern are and how much a better team than us, we have no chance........etc If anything though what he's saying could backfire and inspire Bayern more.

Whaddaya mean? thats at least a 10 for artistic expression.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

*Di Stefano - Former Real Madrid coach and player.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tonight Chelsea is playing the Europa Cup Final against Benfica.
Because of an fellow Packer Backer from Scotland I root for Chelsea, so lets go Blues ;)

Are you guys watching ? Its aired on free-TV in Germany, nice pictures from Amsterdam with all the fans on the streets.
They say many even dont have a ticket but still everything peaceful, no problems between Benfica and Chelsea fans so far. :tup:

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Tonight Chelsea is playing the Europa Cup Final against Benfica.
Because of an fellow Packer Backer from Scotland I root for Chelsea, so lets go Blues ;)

Are you guys watching ? Its aired on free-TV in Germany, nice pictures from Amsterdam with all the fans on the streets.
They say many even dont have a ticket but still everything peaceful, no problems between Benfica and Chelsea fans so far. :tup:

Good choice!:tup: yeah i saw the whole game nearly hit the roof when Lamps cracked the crossbar, we don't make it easy for ourselves not the Chelsea way. But delighted with the win, although where was their guy on the far post? Do i care not much! good to hear all the fans are behaving. CFC FOREVER!

Fernando Torres is a World Cup, European Championship, Champions League, and Europa League winner. For at least 10 more days all at the same time, he's not perfect but he's doing something right. :eek:

Over to you Croak. ;)

The least he could have done was keep his suit on, on both occasions. Too stupid to know any better, Cringe. :cautious::rolleyes:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ohn-Terry-lifts-Europa-League-trophy-kit.html

Interesting story.
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/04/sport/football/benfica-bela-guttmann-curse

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good choice!:tup: yeah i saw the whole game nearly hit the roof when Lamps cracked the crossbar, we don't make it easy for ourselves not the Chelsea way. But delighted with the win, although where was their guy on the far post? Do i care not much! good to hear all the fans are behaving. CFC FOREVER!

Fernando Torres is a World Cup, European Championship, Champions League, and Europa League winner. For at least 10 more days all at the same time, he's not perfect but he's doing something right. :eek:

Over to you Croak. ;)

The least he could have done was keep his suit on, on both occasions. Too stupid to know any better, Cringe. :cautious::rolleyes:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ohn-Terry-lifts-Europa-League-trophy-kit.html

Interesting story.
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/04/sport/football/benfica-bela-guttmann-curse

Yeah, most of the game Benfica was the better team but if I were a Chelsea fan I couldnt care less ;) :p
Just enjoy the win, congratulations PackerFan71 :tup:

When I saw Torres in the starting lineup I was really surprised but as you wrote - Torres must doing something right and the same is true for Rafa Benitez. ;)

Yepp, very interesting story, they were talking about the curse during the game. A nightmare :eek:

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Yeah, most of the game Benfica was the better team but if I were a Chelsea fan I couldnt care less ;) :p
Just enjoy the win, congratulations PackerFan71 :tup:

When I saw Torres in the starting lineup I was really surprised but as you wrote - Torres must doing something right and the same is true for Rafa Benitez. ;)

Yepp, very interesting story, they were talking about the curse during the game. A nightmare :eek:

They were but they lacked the will to win it, not our fault though. ;)

Torres is inconsistent but can come alive in big games, Benitez is a Cup coach his record there is pretty good it has to be said.

Praying at his grave before a final to lift the curse, a nightmare indeed.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Now we have a more measured statement from Klopp. "We know we will play against probably the best team in the world at this moment in time, but we also know we are the only ones who have the weapons to be an actual threat to them. And this is exactly what we want to capitalise on."

That is a fair statement to me. This should be a great game. The battle of the German Titans....

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we have a more measured statement from Klopp. "We know we will play against probably the best team in the world at this moment in time, but we also know we are the only ones who have the weapons to be an actual threat to them. And this is exactly what we want to capitalise on."

That is a fair statement to me. This should be a great game. The battle of the German Titans....

Sounds like a Tabloid press headline, Croak :D;)

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I 100% would like Dortmund to win but if i was a betting type id back Bayern. Dortmund lost a key player that's not going to help BVB at all. You never know though, there could be an upset stranger things have happened..........not mentioning anything. ;)

''Battle of the Titans'' i love it, thats why i dont buy Tabloids. :eek::tup:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I 100% would like Dortmund to win but if i was a betting type id back Bayern. Dortmund lost a key player that's not going to help BVB at all. You never know though, there could be an upset stranger things have happened..........not mentioning anything. ;)

''Battle of the Titans'' i love it, thats why i dont buy Tabloids. :eek::tup:

...ah, c'mon PackerFan71, I'd like to keep my job. :mad: :D
But I know, Tabloids are polarising or as I learned from you - "Its like Marmite"....... ;)
When I started to work for my company we sold 4.25m copies per day, nowadays "only" 2.5 m copies per day are left.
But thats a problem for all kinds of Print Media nowadays....

Back to the Champions League final - I hope Bayern wins because I cant forgive Dortmund that they lost against Hoffenheim last weekend.... :mad:

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
...ah, c'mon PackerFan71, I'd like to keep my job. :mad: :D
But I know, Tabloids are polarising or as I learned from you - "Its like Marmite"....... ;)
When I started to work for my company we sold 4.25m copies per day, nowadays "only" 2.5 m copies per day are left.
But thats a problem for all kinds of Print Media nowadays....

Back to the Champions League final - I hope Bayern wins because I cant forgive Dortmund that they lost against Hoffenheim last weekend.... :mad:

Ha don't worry about me i'm just one ticket, they are still popular as far as i know. I think your jobs pretty safe.;) Wow i think the internet got a bit to do with that decline. :eek:

That's fair enough, team plastic survived BOO! :(

Croak your a natural. ;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha don't worry about me i'm just one ticket, they are still popular in the as far as i know. I think your jobs pretty safe.;) Wow i think the internet got a bit to do with that decline. :eek:

That's fair enough, team plastic survived BOO! :(

Croak your a natural. ;)

You hit the nail on the head, thats why. Young people dont read Print Media anymore or at least much less.
Another factor is the money, there is so much free content availably if you search the web, why paying for it ?
New strategies are needed and my company is on a very good way I guess.
But many other companies are struggling to survive....

Yepp, I guess he could start a new career as a Tabloid journalist immediately. ;)

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head, thats why. Young people dont read Print Media anymore or at least much less.
Another factor is the money, there is so much free content availably if you search the web, why paying for it ?
New strategies are needed and my company is on a very good way I guess.
But many other companies are struggling to survive....

Yepp, I guess he could start a new career as a Tabloid journalist immediately. ;)

I can see whats coming though, im pretty sure soon you will have to subscribe to all those online online publications in order to read them. Its the obvious choice for them. :rolleyes:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I can see whats coming though, im pretty sure soon you will have to subscribe to all those online online publications in order to read them. Its the obvious choice for them. :rolleyes:

That's already well underway here in the states. Many of the major online news outlets now only let you see 10 articles a month, then you must subscribe if you wish to see more. Personally, I don't go to those sites anymore. There are print publications to which I still subscribe. But when it comes to online, I think the best model would be to follow the lead of network television in the US. Instead of paying a subscription, just use advertising that can't be "clicked out of". I wouldn't mind watching ads if it meant I could read the material without a subscription.

What bugs me is when I already have a paid subscription to a print publication and I can't access it online unless I also purchase a subscription to the online version. I think publications like ESPN who give you access to their online version included in the cost of your print version have the best model. I used to subscribe to the Packer Report and it frosted me that I couldn't access their online material even though I purchased the print version. I don't subscribe to them anymore.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's already well underway here in the states. Many of the major online news outlets now only let you see 10 articles a month, then you must subscribe if you wish to see more. Personally, I don't go to those sites anymore. There are print publications to which I still subscribe. But when it comes to online, I think the best model would be to follow the lead of network television in the US. Instead of paying a subscription, just use advertising that can't be "clicked out of". I wouldn't mind watching ads if it meant I could read the material without a subscription.

What bugs me is when I already have a paid subscription to a print publication and I can't access it online unless I also purchase a subscription to the online version. I think publications like ESPN who give you access to their online version included in the cost of your print version have the best model. I used to subscribe to the Packer Report and it frosted me that I couldn't access their online material even though I purchased the print version. I don't subscribe to them anymore.

In Germany as well, we just launched new paid content concepts for two of our newspapers and I support the effort to establish paid content.
Let me try to explain why:

Before the internet the turnovers for Print Media was based on two columns
a) sold copies
b) advertisements

Advertisement is something that still works, even on the internet. (btw, part of my job). The problem is to find a concepts for paid concept ("sold copies"), something that is similar to a print subscription of print media, like for a newspaper or magazine.
But thats difficiult, not only because of the "all for free" internet culture, also because we need as much traffic as we can get on the websites to sell advertisements.
Online advertisements prices depend on how much traffic you have on your website.
So if you establish a paid content concept and people have to pay before they can access y0ur website you must be aware of the fact that your website traffic will decline what influences the prices you can demand for online advertisements.
Thats a problem, but thats the reason why most of the online sites will always offer at least a limited access for free, they need the internet traffic on their site.
And please dont forget -if you are visiting online sites like NYTimes, The Guardian, London Times or whatever, there are still so many people who work there to offer you the latest news and content. How should they be paid if everything is for free ?

But I agree with Croak, I would expect having an online access inclusive when paying a print subscription.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, the refs are letting them get away with murder.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
You shouldnt t complain Croak, did you see what Ribery did with his elbow? A straight red card in my opinion.
Bayern much better now, very good first half.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think this is one of those rigged games. Italian refs tough on Bayern easy on "paws" lewandoski. Announcers on Fox all about Dortmund. Its almost like they've already determined the outcome.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
You shouldnt t complain Croak, did you see what Ribery did with his elbow? A straight red card in my opinion.
Bayern much better now, very good first half.

I don't blame him with how hard Lewandoski was pulling down on him around his neck and shoulders.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think this is one of those rigged games. Italian refs tough on Bayern easy on "paws" lewandoski. Announcers on Fox all about Dortmund. Its almost like they've already determined the outcome.

Dortmund are the underdogs, thats why many of them would like to see BVB winning the game.
But I havent seen the ref that bad.
Anyway, keep calm Croak, Bayern will win the game, I dont have any doubt. ;)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I still have to wonder if it was rigged even now. Robben with the winning goal that close to the end?? Maybe I'm too suspicious. It's a win, but hmmmmm.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congrats FC Bayern. And let me quote a famous man: " I have a dream...."
I hope one day I will have the chance to see Hamburg play a final like this again. Good night ;)

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
As a wiser man than me once said ''treat victory and defeat as imposters.''
Congrats Croak on your teams win today great game. Shame their had to be a loser.

A few points, both Ribery and Lewandowski should have been sent off for the elbow and the stamp. And its a shame Lewandowski controlled his disallowed effort with his arm, that would have been one of the best final goals. Pleased for Robben as a former Chelsea player i'm glad if any one got the winner it was him. Irrespective of the fact that Ribery plays for Bayern i find players like him disgusting his antics on the pitch are everything that's wrong with the game. Once again congrats on the win, must make up a little bit for losing the final last year to the best team in the world. ;)

Members online

Latest posts