Tyler Varga

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like an interesting 3rd day choice if we are to take a RB in this draft. Anyone pay attention to this kid during his career? Im going to assume no one on this board went to yale for college

H

HardRightEdge

Seems like an interesting 3rd day choice if we are to take a RB in this draft. Anyone pay attention to this kid during his career? Im going to assume no one on this board went to yale for college
I have Varga as a 6th. rounder for the Packers in the AmishMafia contest in the Draft forum as a long shot bet in the event they don't take another RB before that.

He was impressive in the Senior Bowl. He's more a FB/RB tweener who can run some, catch some, block some. He blocks better than his size; plays bigger than his 5' 11", 222 lbs. His 23 lifts at the Combine are in the FB/ILB range, and it shows on the field. Very quick feet. Aggressive, smart player.

He does not fit the FB template but looks like he can play there while also subbing at RB. Teams will be put off by his tweener characteristics as "too small" for FB, too slow (4.69) for RB. He's not likely to get bigger...at least one observer said he had the best-cut body at the Combine. He did not participate in Combine drills due to an ankle bone spur, though he did participate in his Pro Day. I don't know if he had surgery for it.

As far a college is concerned, you could compare him to Kuhn...high productivity RB out of a small college program who does not project to starting RB in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I think he´s an intriguing prospect but I still doubt there´s a need for the Packers to draft a fullback.

H

HardRightEdge

I think he´s an intriguing prospect but I still doubt there´s a need for the Packers to draft a fullback.
I don't look at him as strictly a FB. On a 45 man game day roster, he could be both the backup FB and the #3 RB behind Strarks, a good thing to have in the event of an injury to either Kuhn or Lacy. The idea of handing the ball to Starks 25 times is not so appealing, while Varga has some decent 3rd. down traits as either a pass blocker or short range receiver.

He looks like he'd be a good special teams player.

Further, Kuhn is year to year.

I'd be chillier on the idea if I thought we had a TE who could play H-back and lead block. Many have tried over the last couple of years; none have cut the mustard.

It's not like the Packers are betting the farm here...he'd be a 6th. or 7th. rounder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts