Ty Montgomery 2017

OP
OP
NJPackfan..

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers throw the ball close to 60% of the time because they have the best quarterback in the league in freaking Aaron Rodgers.

Bennett will mostly run routes instead of pass protect though.

There's no doubt that the coaching staff currently views Montgomery is the favorite to start at running back. It's possible one of the rookies end up moving past him on the depth chart though.

It's not good to be one dimensional in either the running game or the passing game. The Packers passing game is fantastic...no problem there. It's the Packers running game that's been a bit lackluster for a long time now. You get bad weather games late in the season where passing gets difficult and you need a running game. You also don't want defenses teeing off on Rodgers when they expect a lot of passing.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah. remember how everyone said Rodgers was injury prone his first couple of years as a back up. no way he could be a starter. boy we're we wrong.
Don't forget Rodgers weak arm... lol

Montgomery's single weakness seemed to be his ankle. Not allowing it to heal his rookie year. And the ankle again last year, slowing him down. As a rb, them ankles need to be protected.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not good to be one dimensional in either the running game or the passing game. The Packers passing game is fantastic...no problem there. It's the Packers running game that's been a bit lackluster for a long time now. You get bad weather games late in the season where passing gets difficult and you need a running game. You also don't want defenses teeing off on Rodgers when they expect a lot of passing.
I feel that with our offensive weapons, and big Bennett's blocking ability, complimenting our stellar pass blocking oline. Rodgers ability to buy time, and Montgomery coming out of the back field. The blitzers will be forced to stay in coverage. You simply can not let the te or rb go free when they are Bennett and Montgomery, with Rodgers running g the offense.

It's a recipe for Montgomery to eat them alive... wide open, or with lb chasing. Monty will destroy them.

Bennett too. You need a special defender to even try to match up with that giant of a man.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 -4 defenses are vulnerable to a wheel route when the TE is covered by a safety because of his speed. The combo of Bennett and Ty on the field should be deadly when D coordinators have to blitz the olb to get and pass rush. Even if the olb's try to pick up Ty it wont work very well becsuse Ty has the speed to run by them. Look for AR to go for 5000 passing yards this year if they can stay healthy!!

H

HardRightEdge

Williams doesn't really do it for me. 6' 212 seems smallish. His injury history strengthens that concern... in his draft analysis. They say " he is not a big play threat"....
Maybe I'm a little too black and white here. But if you can't pound the ball. And you can't get the big play.... what can you get then???

They go on to say, he has the POTENTIAL to DEVELOP, into a COMPLIMENTARY back??????

That smells like a bad pick to me...
Followed up by two more picks who have a lot more upside . Imo...
No, I don't see Williams as a big play back either, but I really don't see that as necessary. He's not going to run away from anybody or beat defenses to the edge, but he does show slashing ability at the second and third level to avoid tacklers. He generated a lot of missed tackles last season. He's in the bread-and-butter, between-the-tackles, one-cut-and-go mold, with some jiggyness once in space.

When he doesn't make guys miss, he finishes runs with stiff arms and a punishing attack. He gets the extra yard and stays healthy in the process; there's a certain knack in that. You may be mistaking suspensions for injuries. He missed all of 2015...gasp!...for having a girl in his room. He had another suspension for...gasp!...underage drinking. That was BYU. Scouts laugh at this stuff.

He did miss the back 1/3 of 2014 with a knee injury. That was on a pass reception. He tweaked an ankle last season...in practice. I don't see where he ever got hurt running the ball. I would note that Montgomery has not exactly been the picture of health in his short career, and there was at least one game last season where he played with a visible limp that would have benched him if there was a viable option.

We'll see if his durability stands up with the step up in competition, but that's true of every rookie other than elite picks and sometimes not even then.

I think it's fair to say when he can get to the 2nd./3rd. level, DBs are not going to like seeing him coming. The guy just likes contact. He dances on the sidelines when he's waiting to go out and hit somebody again.

He's got some nice initial technique, takes the ball high for vision, picks his hole and gets low before contact without wasting much time when he was picking the hole behind BYU's zone scheme. He might need to develop a bit more patience at this level to set up blockers. We'll see. Compare to Starks and Montgomery who tend to stay high into the hole...that exposes those types of runners to leg injuries.

PFF characterizes him as a Frank Gore-style runner. I see that in the whole looking like more than the sum of the parts. In fact, I don't find much to quibble over in their scouting report, something I don't recall reading prior to this minute:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-jamaal-williams-rb-byu/

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Agree that Montgomery is the clear cut starter. We wouldn't have let lacy go if the front office didn't think so.

As far as the rookie rbs go? I'm optimistic on all of them.

But I disagree that Montgomery's pass blocking should have anything to do with anything. Because I strongly believe that keeping him back to pass block ,in any other reason other than to chip block and go out for a dump off pass, would be mis using our great young rb.

Reason being! You look at our players we have.
First, Montgomery is a wr by trade. He didn't practice blocking... maybe ever, until last year... to expect ,or hope, for good consistent blocking from him, would be like McCarthy running into a wall 20 times a game to "establish the run", and " balance the offense". When you have Favre and Rodgers at qb......just don't do it because it will be painful to watch, with very little actual production! Like I said before. Montgomery's receiving ability is, on the other hand, a huge advantage. When Monty was a wr, and he faced a safety, it meant big advantage GB. Now, the defense has to go to nickel/dime and dedicate a player to cover Monty, just to be in position to have the safety on the field, to cover Monty the rb... so not only do we dictate they go light on their defensive scheme. We still have Montgomery facing a safety. Big advantage GB again. Or I should say, still. He faces a lb and send him deep. So my opinion stays strong, that if Monty isn't running the ball. He needs to be going out in a route, or at least chipping/dump off option for #12.

Secondly, we have big Bennett at TE now. He is perfect for us. He gives our already strong pass blocking, another very good 275 pound blocker....a great plan! He will surely help montgomery in the run blocking end of things too. Along with our nearly 220 pound wrs outside... of course he is a big target for Rodgers and a great receiver too. But logic would(should) dictate that between the two, in a game of pass blocking, Bennett is the clear cut winner... so use him as such, and use Montgomery to his advantage...

Third is the remaining 3 wrs. Bennett and Montgomery are, realisticly, #4 and #5 option? If the defenses job was to only stop Bennett and Montgomery, they could do it maybe. But with 6'3"218 pound Jordy, and 6'1" 215 pound Adams out there wrecking dbacks outside , and Cobb slicing and dicing them inside. The opposing defenses won't be ready for Montgomery going deep, or Bennett staying back to block ,and then go out for a pass as a change up... the scheme will break down. They can't stop it.
Lastly. We have Rodgers, and his blockers. Great pass blocking. Great pocket presence. And Rodgers ability to buy time to find the open receiver. You simply cannot stop this group of guys with #12 running the show.

RB pass pro is really critical to the structure of GB's offense. I doubt they change something that fundamental just to suit the shortcomings of Montgomery (if he doesn't actually improve).

Besides, a back being able to pass pro doesn't mean that's the only way he'll be used. Most good blocking backs also catch a lot of balls. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.

The passing game is noticeably more effective with a strong receiving threat at TE. Bennett can block, but make no mistake that his primary role will be to catch passes.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
montgomery is gonna go for over 1000 yards rushing and 500 yards recieving and over 10 touchdowns combined. also i just saw randy moss highlights on youtube my god worst mistake packers front office made 3 times over. that guy was amazing his route running combined with his size speed he just glided across the field. brett favre was the michael jordan of qbs and randy moss was the jordan of recievers

Reaction score
Montgomery could just be hitting his stride, he took to running back like a fish to water. His experience at KR in being a natural seem finder and ball protection was very obvious. He possesses many of the physical and athletic traits you want in a RB but most importantly he has a natural confidence. In many ways he's near ideal in the vast majority of key areas you want in RB, both physical traits and mental traits. This will be an exciting year and he could very well possess one of the highest athletic ceilings on our squad.
I'm eager to see him balance that with more specific training of how to make defensive reads from the backfield and on the move and get practice and live game experience blocking. Once he gets a feel for his Linemans' limitations and his own pass protection limitations I think he could be very special

D

Deleted member 6794

But I disagree that Montgomery's pass blocking should have anything to do with anything. Because I strongly believe that keeping him back to pass block ,in any other reason other than to chip block and go out for a dump off pass, would be mis using our great young rb.

Reason being! You look at our players we have.
First, Montgomery is a wr by trade. He didn't practice blocking... maybe ever, until last year... to expect ,or hope, for good consistent blocking from him, would be like McCarthy running into a wall 20 times a game to "establish the run", and " balance the offense". When you have Favre and Rodgers at qb......just don't do it because it will be painful to watch, with very little actual production! Like I said before. Montgomery's receiving ability is, on the other hand, a huge advantage. When Monty was a wr, and he faced a safety, it meant big advantage GB. Now, the defense has to go to nickel/dime and dedicate a player to cover Monty, just to be in position to have the safety on the field, to cover Monty the rb... so not only do we dictate they go light on their defensive scheme. We still have Montgomery facing a safety. Big advantage GB again. Or I should say, still. He faces a lb and send him deep. So my opinion stays strong, that if Monty isn't running the ball. He needs to be going out in a route, or at least chipping/dump off option for #12.

Secondly, we have big Bennett at TE now. He is perfect for us. He gives our already strong pass blocking, another very good 275 pound blocker....a great plan! He will surely help montgomery in the run blocking end of things too. Along with our nearly 220 pound wrs outside... of course he is a big target for Rodgers and a great receiver too. But logic would(should) dictate that between the two, in a game of pass blocking, Bennett is the clear cut winner... so use him as such, and use Montgomery to his advantage...

Third is the remaining 3 wrs. Bennett and Montgomery are, realisticly, #4 and #5 option? If the defenses job was to only stop Bennett and Montgomery, they could do it maybe. But with 6'3"218 pound Jordy, and 6'1" 215 pound Adams out there wrecking dbacks outside , and Cobb slicing and dicing them inside. The opposing defenses won't be ready for Montgomery going deep, or Bennett staying back to block ,and then go out for a pass as a change up... the scheme will break down. They can't stop it.
Lastly. We have Rodgers, and his blockers. Great pass blocking. Great pocket presence. And Rodgers ability to buy time to find the open receiver. You simply cannot stop this group of guys with #12 running the show.

The Packers have to use Montgomery in pass protection as well because otherwise opponents would adjust immediately, putting an additional cornerback on the field to cover him. There's no doubt McCarthy should use him as a receiver out of the backfield but definitely not on every passing play.

Bennett adds another skill set that hopefully makes the offense close to impossible to stop as long as the coaching staff uses him in multiple ways benefitting from his strengths as a pass catcher and blocker.

I agree the offense has the potential to be scary good with depth on the interior of the offensive line being the main reason for concern.

The Packers running game was pretty good as long as Lacy put in the work to stay in shape. It's true the unit benefits from featuring a rushing attack opponents have to respect but don't fool yourself the offense is heavily predicated upon the passing game as long as Rodgers is the starter.

OP
OP
NJPackfan..

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have to use Montgomery in pass protection as well because otherwise opponents would adjust immediately, putting an additional cornerback on the field to cover him. There's no doubt McCarthy should use him as a receiver out of the backfield but definitely not on every passing play.

Bennett adds another skill set that hopefully makes the offense close to impossible to stop as long as the coaching staff uses him in multiple ways benefitting from his strengths as a pass catcher and blocker.

I agree the offense has the potential to be scary good with depth on the interior of the offensive line being the main reason for concern.

The Packers running game was pretty good as long as Lacy put in the work to stay in shape. It's true the unit benefits from featuring a rushing attack opponents have to respect but don't fool yourself the offense is heavily predicated upon the passing game as long as Rodgers is the starter.

Lacy is gone and was out of shape for a while. You have to keep defenses honest in respecting a running game or they will tee off against Rodgers and the passing game.

H

HardRightEdge

RB pass pro is really critical to the structure of GB's offense. I doubt they change something that fundamental just to suit the shortcomings of Montgomery (if he doesn't actually improve).

Besides, a back being able to pass pro doesn't mean that's the only way he'll be used. Most good blocking backs also catch a lot of balls. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.

The passing game is noticeably more effective with a strong receiving threat at TE. Bennett can block, but make no mistake that his primary role will be to catch passes.
Williams is an enthusiastic pass blocker which is a good place start. He looked decent catching the ball too, though BYU didn't throw to him a lot. He also doesn't fumble much; do that in Packerland before establishing yourself and you go right to the bench. Lacy learned that lesson. Davis too last year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts