two tight ends?

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering that the Packers may keep more RBs and even WRs than normal, maybe they will keep only 2 TEs.

It doesn't sound like they are too impressed with Alcorn so far or rookie Clark Harris.

Maybe they will just put Harris on the practice squad, and use Tony Moll as a blocking TE if needed.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been disappointed with Ted Thompson's lack of a plan to upgrade this position. (Promoting Donald Lee to #1 by default just doesn't do it for me.) I think they've been pretty thoroughly disappointed with Harris, so Alcorn will be the #3 because at least he can catch most balls that are thrown to him. Considering the importance of tight end in McCarthy's offense (they kept FOUR tight ends last year, and often used them as fullbacks), I don't see them keeping any less than three. If you keep two, an injury immediately eliminates two tight end formations from your offense, unless you put in Moll as a token tight end who is highly unlikely to be thrown to.

Reaction score
In the Aug 7 press conference by TT (I think that was the one), he indicated that he'll pursue a TE after final cuts are made.

I don't remember the exact quote, but he identified the TE position as needing improvement, and then he got into keeping an eye on scouting other teams rosters for possible final cut players that may be of use, and TE was mentioned...

I think we'll keep 4 TEs again, but it makes me wonder why didn't we go and get a better TE in the off-season?

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I've been disappointed with Ted Thompson's lack of a plan to upgrade this position. (Promoting Donald Lee to #1 by default just doesn't do it for me.) I think they've been pretty thoroughly disappointed with Harris, so Alcorn will be the #3 because at least he can catch most balls that are thrown to him. Considering the importance of tight end in McCarthy's offense (they kept FOUR tight ends last year, and often used them as fullbacks), I don't see them keeping any less than three. If you keep two, an injury immediately eliminates two tight end formations from your offense, unless you put in Moll as a token tight end who is highly unlikely to be thrown to.

The thing that upsets me is that we definitily NEED a TE. But TT goes out and drafts a defensive player in the first round. Not to mention he isnt exactly working out the best, but thats beside the point. Point is we did something to try to strengthen a spot that didnt need that much help and we left a huge hole in the offense.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
because they like Lee\Bubba(despite his obvious horrible year of shititude, could he bounce back? They'd know better than we would)

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
because they like Lee\Bubba(despite his obvious horrible year of shititude, could he bounce back? They'd know better than we would)

The question is, has he shown any signs of improvement? I was at training camp again the other day and saw him drop a few more. Kind of a side story that is funny, there was a little kid standing right next to me(probably about 5 years old) and Bubba caught a pass for a TD, and the kid goes "Hey! Bubba finally caught one!!!" At the time we were about 15 feet away from Bubba as we were standing in the Endzone. Kind of strange how a 5 year old kid can see something that needs to be fixed.

OP
OP
B

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we keep three TEs though, we will only be able to keep three RBs or 5 WRs because it appears that we will keep two fullbacks.

I would feel a lot more comfortable with 4 RBs. If we cut to 5 WRs, we will be cutting someone who might have potential like Holiday, Martin or Clowney.

It's going to be a tough decision.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we keep three TEs though, we will only be able to keep three RBs or 5 WRs because it appears that we will keep two fullbacks.

I would feel a lot more comfortable with 4 RBs. If we cut to 5 WRs, we will be cutting someone who might have potential like Holiday, Martin or Clowney.

It's going to be a tough decision.

I'm fairly certain they will keep 5 backs in total. Korey Hall, Brandon Miree, Noah Herron, Brandon Jackson, and Vernand Morency. I think White could end up on the practice squad this year. I'm also pretty sure at least 5 receivers should be kept and maybe even six. I think Clowney is for sure the odd man out as of this writing.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Famous last words. Just because one is an "expert" doesn't make him right. Anyone who studied military history could tell you that.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Me too. I liked his drafting, but seriously doubted his skills in FA if he couldn't find us a TE. As is, we're not cutting it. I hope he has something up his sleeve that we don't know about because I'd hate to see a repeat of last season's dismal Red Zone performance.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Famous last words. Just because one is an "expert" doesn't make him right. Anyone who studied military history could tell you that.

lol, ok then,Mr. Military, but the fans know better?

My bad, coach!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a thought that a lot of people will hate, but I have to mention it: Maybe Thompson is thinking that since this team is still a year away from having a chance to contend, he will fully address the TE position NEXT YEAR. I don't like that idea because with the cap room he could've at least tried out another player this year. Maybe he has yet to do that.

I would like to see him trade for a TE (or safety), using one of our DT's or a kicker. There are always some teams in need of a good kicker.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Here's a thought that a lot of people will hate, but I have to mention it: Maybe Thompson is thinking that since this team is still a year away from having a chance to contend, he will fully address the TE position NEXT YEAR. I don't like that idea because with the cap room he could've at least tried out another player this year. Maybe he has yet to do that.

I would like to see him trade for a TE (or safety), using one of our DT's or a kicker. There are always some teams in need of a good kicker.

I said the basic same thing with a quote from TT himself... I expect as years past for TT to pick up a player or two at cutdowns to bloster the roster will the talent that didn't make another team.

I like the way TT has infused this team with solid young players, however that seems to be the only way he wants to add talent on the offense.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
tromadz said:

My bad, coach!

Fine, I'll reword it. USUALLY, the "experts" know better. Occasionally, they don't. For example, Mrs. Z has a co-worker who found a lump in her breast. The "expert" doctor said it was nothing. A year later, she had to have both her breasts removed. That's one extreme example of expert opinion being WRONG but you get my point.

Like I responded to another poster, I hope TT has something up his sleeve. Maybe a deal is in the works. If not, we may have a serious TE problem. You think all fans know absolutely nothing about football? A lot of us have played it, and some of us have relatives in some higher level (college, semi-pro, and pro). So it's not like fan opinion is dirt.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

From Tophat's reports, it seems we have 2 good Kickers.

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Alcorn looked pretty good in the 3rd quarter Saturday. His blocking was improved- one catch for a first down, and would have had another one without it being tipped at the line of scrimmage.

Harris is a bust- Alcorn will win the 3rd TE job and progress from there. He'll be starting by the end of the season, mark my words.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Alcorn looked pretty good in the 3rd quarter Saturday. His blocking was improved- one catch for a first down, and would have had another one without it being tipped at the line of scrimmage.

Harris is a bust- Alcorn will win the 3rd TE job and progress from there. He'll be starting by the end of the season, mark my words.

i dont really think u can label a late rounder a bust. he was like the 15th TE taken in the draft or something. :D

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Zombieslayer said:
tromadz said:

My bad, coach!

Like I responded to another poster, I hope TT has something up his sleeve. Maybe a deal is in the works. If not, we may have a serious TE problem.
I agree. Donald Lee had a higher drop rate than Bubba last year so I"m not sure he is going to be much of an improvement. Our red zone O was one of our biggest weaknesses last year, and very little has been done to iimprove in this area.

Members online

Latest posts