Two Scenarios: Pick One

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Resign Eddie Lacy and let him compete with Ty Montgomery for the feature back role next season?

Or resign Christian Michael and let him compete with Ty Montgomery for the feature back role next season?

I like Eddie Lacy... a lot! he seems like a good person as well. However, he's been undurable and inconsistent with his weight. Doesn't seem to be enough dedication in his work ethic to show me he really loves the game of football. The P 90x thing was great, but imo Eddie still looked overweight. Love the way he runs but you can't depend on him to Not have foot or ankle issues...that's just the hard truth. TT knew this about Lacy coming out of Bama but took the risk. The risk was a good one imo... but I'm going to go with the more DURABLE and more explosive Michael. He's seem to have taken a liking to the guys here in Green Bay and imo needs more opportunities to have the ball on his hands. Rather it be screen plays or in the return game.

What combination you guys going with?

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally don't know a whole lot about Michael as I haven't researched his stats, but I would like to see what he can do behind the Packers O line. I want Montgomery to stay around as well. Can we put Lacy on kick off and punt returns....................

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally don't know a whole lot about Michael as I haven't researched his stats, but I would like to see what he can do behind the Packers O line. I want Montgomery to stay around as well. Can we put Lacy on kick off and punt returns....................

lol Lacy isn't explosive enough to return kicks.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Monty in this swiss army knife roll, but I hesitate to think how he'd hold up to a full season of playing running back. I'm not saying he can't, but he's never been a full time runner in the past.

Personally, I'd like to resign Lacy if we can get him somewhat cheap and then draft another running back later in this draft.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No option for a three-headed monster?

Nope. I only say that because then you have to get all 3 guys carries which means less passing attempts for the best thrower of the football in football history. This team is still built to throw the ball with #12. They just need that 1 guy capable of taking 15-17 handoffs and gaining positive yards to keep the defense honest to set up play action!! and for Winter!!

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No option for a three-headed monster?
I think the perfect situation is re-signing Lacy to a very team friendly one year deal and keeping Ty and Michael. All three seem to be unique and it'd be nice to have a varied run game.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Monty in this swiss army knife roll, but I hesitate to think how he'd hold up to a full season of playing running back. I'm not saying he can't, but he's never been a full time runner in the past.

Personally, I'd like to resign Lacy if we can get him somewhat cheap and then draft another running back later in this draft.

i think he can do it. Give him 15 carries a game mixed in with some screen plays or option routes in the slot and I think he will be just fine. It's not like we are asking Randall Cobb to make the switch haha

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Nope. I only say that because then you have to get all 3 guys carries which means less passing attempts for the best thrower of the football in football history. This team is still built to throw the ball with #12. They just need that 1 guy capable of taking 15-17 handoffs and gaining positive yards to keep the defense honest to set up play action!! and for Winter!!

My first thought was all 3. But you are right, depth isn't a strong suit for the Packers ;)

Monty is already in. I think both Michaels and Lacy could be signed for reasonable amounts. But if I had to choose right now between 1 or the other, it would mean saying goodbye to Eddie. I think he will have more market value to other teams, especially if he gets back into the gym with Tony Horton. As much as TT likes keeping his own, I don't see him meeting the offers that Eddie will probably get (if he gets in shape....again).

While all 3 is still my answer, I think an eye towards the draft and going into 2017 with Monty and Michaels + Crockett or whoever, wouldn't be that bad of a thing.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the perfect situation is re-signing Lacy to a very team friendly one year deal and keeping Ty and Michael. All three seem to be unique and it'd be nice to have a varied run game.

Goes back to my previous comment about the 3 headed monster thing someone else mentioned. This isn't Dallas, or Tennessee..where those lines were constructed to run the ball. This is Green Bay..where the line was constructed to throw the ball.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Goes back to my previous comment about the 3 headed monster thing someone else mentioned. This isn't Dallas, or Tennessee..where those lines were constructed to run the ball. This is Green Bay..where the line was constructed to throw the ball.

So you are saying we can't look forward to some good old fashioned Football with the T formation of Michaels, Lacy and Monty lined up in the backfield?

Imagine the possibilities:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After what happened this season, I would like to see 3 capable backs on the roster next year. I'm not sure if those are the right 3, but I could see it happening..... I think Lacy's value in free agency will be an interesting thing to watch.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ripp will be back as well, but I agree with swhitset, no way we go into another season with 2 RB's on the 53. Sure, we had Monty this year, but who would have thunk, obviously the Packers didn't or they wouldn't have messed around with Pressley, Jackson and Davis.

H

HardRightEdge

Price and contract duration matters.

But since you did not qualify the question, without monetary considerations on a one year contract, it's Lacy hands down. Not even close. Michael doesn't present much of a choice. If the choice were some unnamed 3rd. round pick, then we'd have to see who that is.

Personally, I don't care if Lacy maintains his current weight if the quick feet are there. He was in much better shape this season than in 2015 as evidenced by his much improved quickness. There's a big difference between chowing down between couch sessions and chowing down between workouts. It showed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would love to know what Eddie is doing now, anyone know? He has between now and March to get himself in shape if he wants to maximize what teams are willing to sign him for. I really don't think the ankle is going to be as much of a concern as his weight and conditioning. The Packers probably have the most insider information on Eddie and with the emergence of Monty and the potential of Michaels, I doubt they offer him anything other than what would be considered to be a team friendly contract. If Lacy isn't in shape by March, I can see him going unsigned for awhile.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't Rodgers have more yards than Lacy and even before Lacy was injured?
Yeah, that's the guy I want.
Oh wait.
He already plays for us as QB, doesn't he?
Hard to tell sometimes.
Well, I guess it doesn't matter then as long as someone is getting it done.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Doesn't Rodgers have more yards than Lacy and even before Lacy was injured?
Yeah, that's the guy I want.
Oh wait.
He already plays for us as QB, doesn't he?
Hard to tell sometimes.
Well, I guess it doesn't matter then as long as someone is getting it done.

Seriously? Comparing Rodgers and Lacy? Come on man!

Lacy still has more yards then AR @ 360 and had a 5.1/carry ave.

Rodgers currently has 314 yards, not sure what they were when Lacy was hurt, but doesn't matter to me.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know that we've seen enough of Montgomery or Michael to make that call yet. The last 2+ weeks could give us some extra looks to make a more informed decision. If Montgomery keeps playing at a similar level to last week, I think we might see Thompson roll with him and Michael. If he struggles some, there might be a push to re-sign Lacy.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the all 3 scenario also. Using all 3 might keep Lacy healthy. He is so tough and breaks so many straight on tackles. But he never would have scored the TD that Michael did. Somebody would have caught him. I like to have both the home run hitter and the guy hitting doubles. Montgomery is the new GBP Paul Hornung. If, that is, he blocks really well. I do not know how well he blocks.

Latest posts