1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Two Brits...Making a Trip...

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by BritPacker, Aug 31, 2009.

1. BritPacker

BritPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    (do hope this is the right section to make this post!- sorry if not mods)

Fellow packers fans,

Myself (Henry) and another fellow brit (Guy) are coming across the pond this week for a fortnight and we will be in green bay for the weekend of the bears game (and indeed are going to said game).

We are looking for advice as to the best place to enjoy the evening delights of green bay (preferably with a generous dolloping of beer), and indeed some football banter with our american colleagues.

i can confirm that:
    a) i do not know a member of the royal family (although i will pretend to do so if it means a rather amusing conversation with a female)
    b) i don't live in a castle
    c) i do drink a decent amount of both beer and tea

So- mindful that you dont really understand or enjoy a place unless you actually get to know the people within it- where would you all suggest we resolve ourselves to visit?

2. robdog

robdog Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +327
    That is going to be a great game! I wish I had some inside info for you about Green Bay. Make sure to take a few pictures of your travels and post them up here.

3. BritPacker

BritPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i will do my upmost!!- you want pictures of the game or our debauched night beforehand!!?

anyone else with any recommendations?

4. Passepartout

Passepartout December to Remember!

Ratings:
    +27
    Hope you and your friend have a blast. And that you both enjoy your stay in the States. Everybody is nice!

5. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Yeah, Green Bay is probably the nicest of all the NFL cities, mostly due to it's small size. You should have a blast. Wisconsin (and most midwesterners) are the nicest you'll meet in the U.S.

My only advice (kind of obvious) is don't drink and drive if you have a rental car. Cops are strict about that and it will F your trip. And it's safe to say don't walk around with open alcoholic beverages on the street. Keep the drinking to the bars/pubs, and Wisconsin has a TON of those. Then take a cab to the hotel.

I would take the Lambeau Field Tour on Thurs/Friday or even Saturday before the game. Less people on the weekdays btw. Saturday before the game the tours are BUSY. It's a GREAT experience and you get to walk out of the tunnel the players use and over some of the original bricks Lombardi and the 1960's teams walked over. I'm a sap for nostalgic crap like that. You also get to see the doors to the Locker room, can't go in though. Might see some players coming in an out, I did.

Also, see the GBP Hall of Fame and at the end of the tour you get to view the 3 Lombardi trophies! AWESOME!! You can also sit in a mock up of Lombardi's office for pictures. Great place for pictures. I'd go on a weekday too or it gets crowded.

Check out the Pro shop. Great selection of stuff but pricey. Cool to have something you bought in Lambeau though.

I also would go early to the game and try to mingle and do some tailgating, that would be fun.

Definitely try the Perch on Fridays when they do the fish fries at a lot of restaurants. Just ask around which place has good perch, the locals will know. Also try the Walleye if you want a more expensive fish, that is the best fish imo. Can't get Perch or Walleye down here in Texas and I eat as much as I can when I'm up there in Wisconsin. Texans seem to think the only good fish is catfish and striper...primitives.

6. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    thats true :D