1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Twins re-sign Johan Santana

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by uwbadger12000, Feb 14, 2005.

1. uwbadger12000

uwbadger12000 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/m ... &fext=.jsp

Santana gets four-year deal
    Pact, pending physical, avoids arbitration
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- Twins pitcher Johan Santana didn't need flowers or chocolate for Valentine's Day. He'd rather have the security that comes with a multi-year contract.
    That's what the American League's reigning Cy Young Award winner received Monday when he and Minnesota agreed to a four-year contract that avoids arbitration. Terms of the deal were not revealed by the club, but the Associated Press reported it to be worth $40 million. It is still pending until Santana passes a physical scheduled for Monday afternoon.

"I feel good. I feel better than ever," Santana said by phone from Fort Myers, Fla., late Monday morning. "It's something we were looking for."

Santana was 20-6 with an AL-leading 2.61 ERA in 2004, which included a dominating 13-0 record and 1.21 ERA after the All-Star break. He also led the league with 265 strikeouts and was unanimously elected as winner of the AL Cy Young Award.

The 25-year-old left-hander, who earned $1.6 million last season after losing his arbitration case, was scheduled for an arbitration hearing on Tuesday. He was seeking $6.8 million while the Twins countered with a $5 million offer.

Twins general manager Terry Ryan credited assistant GM Wayne Krivsky and Santana's agent, Peter Greenberg, with reaching an agreement before a hearing was needed. Krivsky and Greenberg, who hammered out pitcher Carlos Silva's new two-year contract last week, often spoke on the phone and had recent face-to-face negotiations in New York.

"I compliment Wayne and Peter in their diligence in getting this thing done," Ryan said.

It's been a whirlwind of an offseason for Santana, who was hailed as a national hero in his homeland of Venezuela throughout the winter. He was the first ballplayer from the country to ever win a Cy Young Award or MVP, and was in demand by thousands of people. He traveled the nation with a crew of bodyguards offered to him by President Hugo Chavez.

It left Santana with little time to worry about a new contract.

"I trust [Greenberg] and let him handle everything," Santana said. "I was doing a lot in Venezuela so I didn't think about it. Everything turned out for both sides. This is where I wanted to stay.

"It gives me the security that we want. But also you feel more comfortable that you're going to be with the team for a few more years."

Celebration over his new contract was offset by concerns for family and friends in his hometown of Tovar Merida. The Mocoties River flooded over its banks Friday, killing dozens in the region with more missing. Santana's immediate family and parents were with him in Florida. His brother and some in-laws were directly affected but reported safe.

"The river took nearly everything out. It's sad," Santana said. "[The contract] is great news, but most important is that a lot of people in my family are on my mind. It's something I worry about."

Since his deal runs through the 2008 season, it will keep Santana off the open market for a couple of extra years. He would have been eligible to become a free agent after the 2006 season.

Although that gives Minnesota some protection, there is also some risk involved in giving a pitcher a long-term contract. The club signed former All-Star Joe Mays to a four-year, $20 million contract after he won 17 games in 2001. Mays followed up with two subpar seasons and missed all of 2004 because of an elbow surgery.

Santana suffered a partial tear of the flexor muscle in his left elbow in 2001 and had minor surgery to remove bone chips from the same elbow after the 2003 season. The club will carry an insurance policy on the contract but believes he is healthy.

"I don't think it would have gotten done if we didn't go to four years," Ryan said. "Johan is 25. That's a positive. There is risk in a multi-year contract, less risk because Johan is in the prime of his career. There aren't any red flags on this one. We think he can handle the responsibility and security."

A Rule 5 Draft pick before the 2000 season, Santana didn't permanently join the Twins' rotation until midway through the 2003 season, when he went 11-2 with a 2.85 ERA as a starter.

With a new contract and a very special season behind him, Santana still feels that he has something to prove. Minnesota has won the AL Central Division the past three years, but has failed to reach the World Series.

"We want to show people that all of the work we've done is real, not luck," Santana said. "Not just for me, but the whole team. We're for real."

"With the type of pitcher he is, the type of competitor he is, I don't think what he did was a one-time occurrence," Ryan said. "Santana has a lot of things going for him with his pitches and being left-handed and being healthy. We bet he's capable of backing things up."

The Twins have now signed their rotation's top three starters to multi-year contracts this offseason, keeping them together through 2006. Brad Radke signed a two-year deal worth $18 million in December and Silva will get a guaranteed $5.05 million in his contract.

"Pitching is hard to come by," Ryan said. "Talented pitching is harder to come by and a talented left-handed pitcher is even harder to find.

"This is a good sign that Radke and Santana had interest [in staying]. These are good things. Guys are signing up. We haven't gotten where we want to be, but we're doing things right."

2. dan7

dan7 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Santana

Excellent news for Twins fans.....

3. uwbadger12000

uwbadger12000 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    and I just happen to be one of them

4. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Big Twin fan here as well. Good to see they are willing to spend the money on the guys that deserve it. Santana can be a top five pitcher for the next ten years.

5. sixone220

sixone220 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    ya but they should cut joe mays. he's due 7.25 this year. 3rd most behind radke and torii.