Turnovers, Turnovers, Turnovers...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cornerback Mike Hawkins filled the role of ballhawking cornerback during Thursday's practice and forced the turnovers his coaches have been seeking.

"That's emphasized every day. They want turnovers, turnovers, turnovers," Hawkins said. "A turnover will change the game."

In outside coverage against wide receiver Chad Lucas, Hawkins jumped the route and intercepted the Aaron Rodgers pass.

"If I see a quarterback make that movement with their body than I'm going to take it," he said. " I'm going to get it full speed."

The rookie cornerback has shown a skill for beating the wide receiver to his spot during camp. He, however, has let a few would-be-interceptions drop through his hands.

"That's just being too anxious," he said.

Hawkins' anxiousness is understandable as the rookie has taken a circuitous route to the NFL. He attended Oklahoma for one year in 2002 before assuming a variety of odd jobs. He then spent the next two years with the Arena League's Dallas Desperados.

Despite having never started a game for the Desperados, Hawkins has shined throughout training camp. His uneven Arena League career can be attributed to playing opposite men in their late twenties while still a teenager.

"I was 19 when I signed with the Arena," he said. "Some of the guys I started behind were already in the NFL. It's kind of hard to come in at 19 and take their jobs."

Currently the No. 3 cornerback with Joey Thomas (hip, calf) injured, Hawkins came very close to becoming the starting cornerback versus the Buffalo Bills this weekend.

During the special teams portion of practice, cornerback Ahmad Carroll, who has consistently run with the first team during camp, crumpled to the turf after getting kicked.

Carroll injured his ankle but later returned to practice. The coaching staff feared the worst.

"My heart just about dropped into my shoes," Bates said.

Now Bates can exhale and focus on coaching his precocious rookie.

from a packers.com report

lonewolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what the Packers do with Hawkins. He may have already shown enough so that being able to pass him through waivers in order to put him on the practice squad may not be an option. Yet, being so raw and inexperienced, he may not be able to help much in defense. And being skinny, he may not be an option on special teams, either.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawkins is on the team and will be playing on September 11. I don't think there's any doubt about that. He is simply too athletic and has too much promise not to make the team.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Agreed, Hawkins is a lock to be on the Team. As far as a practice squad player watch for Dendy, he will develop into a starting CB in this league.

My question who is the 5th CB? Johnson or Horton?

classicpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In fact, several reports I've seen mention that at worst they are planning to play him in the dime defense--he might even make it on the nickel.

Reaction score
Actually Pack93z, Dendy isn't as safe a bet to make the practice squad. Leigh Torrence has moved upto the second unit D with the injuries, and the Scouts and Coaches have really taken a liking to this kid. He just has a knack for being around the ball, and "Great football instincts." In an article (I cannot remember which one) it said we shouldn't be too surprised if Torrence became our 5th CB because he has great quickness and instincts. But it also noted that Johnson and Horton are more athletic than Torrence, and probably have the inside track on the 5th CB spot. I would personally go with Horton, seeing as Johnson is injury prone, and that Horton showed some promise in the game against the Colts. But no question about it, Hawkins has locked up a spot on the roster. :D

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawkins will start sometime this season MARK MY WORDS...

Hey Bruce nice to have you posting again keep doing your homework so we have nice post to read !!! :mrgreen:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Agreed, Hawkins is a lock to be on the Team. As far as a practice squad player watch for Dendy, he will develop into a starting CB in this league.

My question who is the 5th CB? Johnson or Horton?

I hope Johnson

lonewolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just so you understand, I'm pulling for the kid, Hawkins. And I recognize that he has the great athletic talent. I was just questioning whether that talent, and possibly his instincts, would be enough to compensate for his lack of experience and technique. But apparently everyone thinks it shouldn't be much of a problem, so that's good to hear!

Members online

Latest posts