Turning the page to the 2015 season

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay as much as 2 weeks ago still hurts, we should have no reason right now not to believe that we are at least among the top 2 teams in the NFC, which gives us a lot of hope for next year.

The multi-million dollar questions on offense will of course be with Bulaga and Cobb. I'd hate to see either go. I like Adams and his upside, and we do have Abbrederis returning and hopefully Janis coming into a bigger role, but we don't have anyone on the roster right now who can duplicate Cobb's skill set. We should be all set at RB again with Lacy and Starks, and I hope Bulaga's market is a little underwhelming, because while I don't want us to overpay, it was great to finally see a solid consistent offensive line this season and I'm certainly afraid to see us mess with that. If they could get a deal done with Cobb for $9-$10M a year and with Bulaga for $6M-$7M, I'd be for it.

I do like some things that I saw from Richard Rodgers this year, but I would love to see us add a TE who can stretch the field and be a big target in the redzone. You only needed to watch a putrid fade attempt to Quarless against Dallas in the playoffs on a 2 point conversion to see that we just lack that redzone weapon who can really start turning some of these 3's into 7's. The FA market for TE's has targets -- Julius Thomas has to be the most notable, but I can't see him ending up in Green Bay. A much better chance to land a discount would be with Jordan Cameron, coming off an injury plagued and unproductive year. He could end up being a steal. Failing any FA options, I have no problem with spending a 1st round pick on a TE if we address ILB in some other way.

On defense, I think you've got to hang onto Peppers. He really makes that D a lot better, he's a team leader where we really need one, and I think you're back to square one there if you let him go. You could possibly restructure and find a way to bring him back anyway, but I think he comes back at his 2015 salary hit. I think the general consensus is that one of House or Tramon will get paid, and I think this could go either way. Has Teddy been burned enough by guys like Brad Jones to have pause at paying a guy on defense (House) who isn't really proven as a starter? If so, he might see if the market mellows for Tramon and he can get him back on a reduced 2 year deal. We'll see. I can't see us letting both walk.

Speaking of Jones, him and Hawk are history. I think that's pretty much a foregone conclusion. You'll save about $7.5M there, which is actually around the salary cap hit of Patrick Willis. I think my ILB dream is to land Willis here, as the 49ers could possibly look to unload cap as addressed by others. I think it's more likely that the 49ers find a way to hang onto Willis, though.

So ILB and TE are to me our biggest needs, and I think we have a lot less needs than last year, but we might see more open up depending on what happens with our corners and the contract status of Bulaga and Cobb.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post. I'm already ready for the 2015 season myself.

I think Bulaga will be allowed to test the market if they push for too much money. I don't think there will be a big market for him. He's got an injury history and even this year, one of his best in terms of games played, he missed important stretches in two games that I remember. The market should keep him at a reasonable price, even if he has to test it.

Cobb will be signed without seeing the market. Yes we have lots of guys in the wings, but they are all unproven except for Adams who showed flashes but can not be counted on yet to avoid the sophomore slump. We've seen how teams box in our WRs and Rodgers without Jennings and James Jones around. Spend the money here.

I'm not as worried about TE. I really see Richard Rodgers as the real deal. I say if there is a good player in the mid-rounds go for it, but not higher than the 3rd. I think we have other needs that are more important such as ILB, OLB to replace Peppers either this year or next, offensive tackle, defensive line, CB, and Safety.

I think that we need to keep thinking about replacements from Sitton/Lang and possibly Bahktiari. You can never have enough depth at CB and we should have a good backup safety waiting in the wings - I'm not sure that Hyde or Richardson could fully fill those shoes.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mr. adambr2, I like your sentiments. It is time to move on!

I also agree ILB is the biggest hole. In fact, it's really the only gaping hole but, the team could use depth everywhere.
Evan Kendricks (UCLA) is the guy I have my eye on at the moment.

Other thoughts (in no particular order):
RB: Lacy/Starks are as good as they come. I would like to see a Sproles/Spiller/Reggie Bush type 3rd down guy added to the mix. Cobb in the backfield was potent at times.

QB: We have the best player in the game however, he is now on the wrong side of 30. A better option than Flynn/Tolzien would not hurt my feelings any.

WR: This is a great bunch especially if the wounded warriors come back. I would not not object to adding another possession, big bodied guy. Think: a more consistent James Jones type.

TE: I want another guy here. Rodgers looks like he could be the number one guy. I would like a taller, more physical target for the red zone added to the mix.

Offensive Line: I want Bulaga back but, even if he does come back, his injury history has me a little nervous. A better alternative than Don Barclay would make me feel better. The inside is pretty solid with Sitton, Linsley, Lang, and Tretter.

Defensive Line: NT is still a problem. This is as much of a scheme question as a talent one. Do we want a true NT or is 2-4-5 the base? Personally, I want a true one. I suspect Raji is probably gone. Guion had a great year but, is he the long term guy? I'd like new option here early in the draft.
DE is pretty strong now depth wise but, I would never pass on a potential stud in this area.

Linebackers: Outside this is a pretty talented bunch. I hope the Clay inside experiment is just that; an experiment. Perry is an enigma; he showed flashes of brilliance here and there and seemed to disappear here and there; he's worth some patience. More depth here would not hurt my feelings. As I mentioned, ILB is the big hole. Both MIKE and TED (or BUCK if you prefer:) ) are needed here. Barrington looks like he could be an option at one of them. In any case, this is job one because it's also a position of need on those very sad Special Teams.

Secondary: For the first time in ages, Safety is not a huge hole. Burnett and HaHa look solid but, depth here would always be welcome. I would not have apoplectic seizures if Tramon leaves. House and Hayward have trouble staying on the field. Hyde's role as tweener is valuable. I definitely would like to see another athlete at corner added.

That's enough, I think.:)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Of course adding depth “everywhere” would be great but realistically that’s not going to happen. If Cobb, Bulaga, and House or Tramon are retained, ILB is the obvious need but in his end of season interview they told Clay he’d continue to play inside at times. I’m fine with that and even better if they find another ILB to make it less necessary. With Barrington returning and Nate Palmer, Carl Bradford, and Joe Thomas returning to compete there, Thompson may not feel the need to go out of his way to grab one at #30.

Again, if Cobb, Bulaga and one of the CBs return, this may turn out to be more of a best player available draft than normal for Thompson, particularly at #30. I would like to see competition at backup OT improved; I agree with TomBrownFan40 and would like a better alternative than Barclay. I know they’ve played Tretter outside but he seems better suited inside. I do think it's very important to keep Bulaga - the chemistry the OL exhibited was outstanding.

If Tramon leaves, CB jumps up the list of needs. I’d like Thompson to add another DL but that’s not his strength in the draft. I don’t think drafting a QB early in the draft makes sense – I’m fine with the winner of the Flynn/Tolzien competition being the backup (I hope Tolzien wins it) and adding a late round or UDFA QB is OK with me: I think it’s too early to look for Rodgers’ replacement. I’m also OK with the backup safeties and think Hyde is OK as the #3 and perhaps Richardson going into his fourth season will emerge (He lost most of a season to injury).

D

Deleted member 6794

There´s no doubt in my mind that ILB is the position needing the biggest upgrade even the team plans to play Matthews there next season as well. I expect both Cobb and Bulaga to be back so I don´t see WR and OL (compared to some others I´m fine with Barclay being the backup at tackle) as a need during the offseason.

On offense I hope Thompson brings in another TE as I´m not convinced Rodgers will turn into the red zone target the Packers desperately need.

Defensively NT should be addressed early in the draft and depending on what happens in free agency CB could become a position Thompson will have to bring in some players as well.

H

HardRightEdge

...and Nate Palmer, Carl Bradford, and Joe Thomas returning to compete there, Thompson may not feel the need to go out of his way to grab one at #30.
Those guys? Thompson better be thinking first 3 rounds. He also needs a NT now more than ever.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, assuming Cobb and Bulaga get re-signed, which is no sure bet but just for the sake of argument our order of needs would go:

1. ILB
2. NT
3. CB
4. TE
And I'm not sure where to go from here..

Reaction score
We had a taste of FA acquisitions this year and the result of Guion and Peppers proved beneficial. There is a time and place to utilize the benefits and we do an above average job assessing this. It's obvious Guion is gone. Raji is coming off injury and when he was healthy was arguably average at best, although I'm not opposed to making him compete for a role here.
We need to fill 1-2 of our top 4 needs with a proven ability( ies) through FA and with the probable loss of Guion (not knowing the complete story) I'd be considering 2 Defensive players and the nucleus DT and ILB or a conversion talent from a like position high round.
We had a # 1 rated offense essentially experimenting at TE and 3rd WR. Adams is solid. Unless the sky falls we resign Cobb and Bulaga. Rajion Neal is an adequate 3rd RB. An we go after depth at OT OG mid rounds for depth
Defense nucleus has to be our Major with emphasis onrushing
Round 1 LB
2 DT
3 TE
4 KR/WR
5 OG/OT
6 CB
If we acquire that solid FA in the first couple areas. These move upwards in priority

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at this point I think ALL linebacking positions are on the table and the best will be chosen, assuming one worth taking is there. Let's face it, outside we have Peppers who i'm hoping can stay as productive next year as this, but I don't see him being an every down player or even 50% player at a high level for much longer, 1 year max in my mind.

and then we have Matthews. Then we have Neal, a solid guy and Perry, Solid when healthy, but hardly ever healthy. I think last year was the most we saw him. Not someone I envision taking over any position. So we have one guy in the prime, but he can play inside or outside. One aging guy and when the drop off happens it will probably be fast and substantial. And 2 solid rotational guys that could be upgraded. I think we're 1 injury away at OLB at that becomes a serious need too.

I know ILB is a need, but there are more than one way to line up this defense and with Matthews being able and willing to play either, it gives us options. Though if we get better up front, who knows what some of those young guys could do in the middle?

anyway, long winded point i've made before, as well as many others on here, I think GB can pick from any number of positions depending on the player available and it will be good for the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

at this point I think ALL linebacking positions are on the table and the best will be chosen, assuming one worth taking is there. Let's face it, outside we have Peppers who i'm hoping can stay as productive next year as this, but I don't see him being an every down player or even 50% player at a high level for much longer, 1 year max in my mind.

and then we have Matthews. Then we have Neal, a solid guy and Perry, Solid when healthy, but hardly ever healthy. I think last year was the most we saw him. Not someone I envision taking over any position. So we have one guy in the prime, but he can play inside or outside. One aging guy and when the drop off happens it will probably be fast and substantial. And 2 solid rotational guys that could be upgraded. I think we're 1 injury away at OLB at that becomes a serious need too.

I know ILB is a need, but there are more than one way to line up this defense and with Matthews being able and willing to play either, it gives us options. Though if we get better up front, who knows what some of those young guys could do in the middle?

anyway, long winded point i've made before, as well as many others on here, I think GB can pick from any number of positions depending on the player available and it will be good for the team.

I think that both Jayrone Elliott and Adrian Hubbard are intriguing prospects at OLB. In addition I expect Peppers to have another productive season in 2015 so the position isn´t one of dire need.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post. I'm already ready for the 2015 season myself.

I think Bulaga will be allowed to test the market if they push for too much money. I don't think there will be a big market for him. He's got an injury history and even this year, one of his best in terms of games played, he missed important stretches in two games that I remember. The market should keep him at a reasonable price, even if he has to test it.

I think most will be surprised at the market for Bulaga. He is, by far, the best tackle on the market. Remember, Packers were going to make him the starter at LT last year. Other teams will remember that and make him offers accordingly. Packers won't match a deal that pays Bulaga like a LT.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that both Jayrone Elliott and Adrian Hubbard are intriguing prospects at OLB. In addition I expect Peppers to have another productive season in 2015 so the position isn´t one of dire need.
I think Elliot is intriguing as well, but I think he's a year or 2 out yet. I think he's going to be one of those guys like a Cullen Jenkins that takes 3 years with some promise, but then in year 3 or 4 he puts it all together on the field. Hubbard sounds nice, but I haven't seen anything from him to make me think college success is going to follow him to the NFL.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I think Elliot is intriguing as well, but I think he's a year or 2 out yet. I think he's going to be one of those guys like a Cullen Jenkins that takes 3 years with some promise, but then in year 3 or 4 he puts it all together on the field. Hubbard sounds nice, but I haven't seen anything from him to make me think college success is going to follow him to the NFL.
I have high hopes for Adrian Hubbard next year. I loved him in bama, and I think he has the size that would make a great run stopper on third down.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since TT always takes the best player available does it really matter what our needs are? If he has a WR rated ahead of a ILB at #30 he will take the WR right. I mean isn't that what everyone always says? BPA don't draft for need. It doesn't matter if you have an ILB rated 1 or 2 spots lower you take the WR

You make your list, cross guys off as they are picked and when its your turn you try to trade your pick or you take the highest guy left. Its really that simple.

I'm being sarcastic by the way for all those who think TT is a BPA guy all the way.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends on how you define BPA. I think the conventional wisdom now has it as a band/group/tier of equally ranked players, from which TT chooses the one he needs, or trades out of the spot. How many high Packer draft choices in the last few years haven't been aimed at a need?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends on how you define BPA. I think the conventional wisdom now has it as a band/group/tier of equally ranked players, from which TT chooses the one he needs, or trades out of the spot. How many high Packer draft choices in the last few years haven't been aimed at a need?

Right, I mean it would be foolish to draft a player that you didn't need just because you had him rated 1 or 2 spots above a player that really fit a need. I have no problem drafting for need as long as the guy you take isn't a huge reach and as long as the BPA on your list hasn't, for some inexplicable reason, dropped like a stone and you would be foolish not taking him (Aaron Rodgers for example)

I think you hit it on your Depends on how you define BPA though. Not only how do you define it but who is doing the defining. I have always thought that need does factor in when GMs make their boards. The GM of a team who has a young stud QB may not have a rookie QB ranked as high as the GM for a team that is desperate for that franchise QB and if they are picking back to back maybe they both get their BPA.

Reaction score
I was thinking along similar lines. Intrigue is a well chosen word. In particular Elliott could become well suited to share reps with Peppers to give us a 1-2 punch at OLB AND on 3rd and long could be formidable Blitz combo pair off their edge Peppers leading with Clay coming hard right edge like a war pincher tactic. They seem to be high on Hubbard, I trust there is a reason. Ad a 1st round dominant inside LB to firm the line we could be dangerous in my humble, novice opinion. Lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
Right, I mean it would be foolish to draft a player that you didn't need just because you had him rated 1 or 2 spots above a player that really fit a need. I have no problem drafting for need as long as the guy you take isn't a huge reach and as long as the BPA on your list hasn't, for some inexplicable reason, dropped like a stone and you would be foolish not taking him (Aaron Rodgers for example)

I think you hit it on your Depends on how you define BPA though. Not only how do you define it but who is doing the defining. I have always thought that need does factor in when GMs make their boards. The GM of a team who has a young stud QB may not have a rookie QB ranked as high as the GM for a team that is desperate for that franchise QB and if they are picking back to back maybe they both get their BPA.
It's a worthy principle BPA.. It's a principle though that needs to be kept in check with acquiring through FA at the "priority need positions" to gain maximum equilibrium. The point at where the efficiency of talent AND need are met at the highest point on the curve of economics supply and demand scale concept.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts