Turner won't be a Packer, but this guy will be!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers and receiver Carlyle Holiday have agreed to terms, according to the team's Web site.

Holiday, a two-year veteran out of Notre Dame, is the last of the Packers' four exclusive-rights free agents to re-sign with the team. Terms were not available.

Holiday had nine receptions for 126 yards in four games for the Packers last season after being claimed off waivers from the Arizona Cardinals. He is expected to compete for a reserve role this season.

Yippity do dah, after hearing the news that the Packers are not going after Turner, this news is even more thrilling.

It's like ordering steak and getting a slice of Bologna. More of the same

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's so bad about Carlyle Holiday? I mean I get the Turner disappointment but don't take anything away from Holiday at least yet or use him signing terms just so you can make your frustration clear. He did look encouraging against the Bears to close out the season. If nothing else it'd be nice to keep 5 or 6 receivers on the roster instead of 4.

Reaction score
I think Holiday gives us a Randel-El type player, one who is fast but can also expand the playbook with trick plays.

Definitely showed promise in the finale against the Bears, and what is most encouraging is that he is a converted QB (if I'm not mistaken), so he is bound to improve at the position.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Isnt he the wr that made some tough catches last game vs the bears? or near the end of the season?

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carlyle Holiday: Taking one for the team
Holiday has put Notre Dame's success ahead of his personal glory
By: Joe Hettler
Issue date: 11/12/04 Section: Irish Insider
PrintEmail Article Tools
Page 1 of 1

Carlyle Holiday will do anything to help his team - even if that's a baseball team.

As a senior at Roosevelt High School in San Antonio, Texas, Holiday was asked by the baseball coach to play in the final eight games of the season. Holiday, who had never played high school baseball up to that time or swung a bat in years, accepted the offer. He homered in his first at-bat and finished the season with five round-trippers while also helping his team with good defensive play in centerfield.

In 2003, the Cincinnati Reds selected Holiday in the 44th round of the Major League Baseball draft.

"I was a big hitter," Holiday says with a smile.

Putting the team first has always been one of Holiday's best traits. The fifth-year wide receiver has seen his shares of ups and downs during his career at Notre Dame - from struggling as a starter in 2001 to leading the Irish to an 8-0 to start in 2002 to losing the quarterback job last season to changing positions heading into the 2004 campaign.

But through all that change, the one constant has always been Holiday's team first, 'me' second attitude.

Learning on the job

Holiday came to Notre Dame as a freshman in 2000 after a successful high school career where the 6-foot-3, 215-pounder threw for 719 yards and rushed for another 876 as a senior out of a makeshift option-style offense.

"They called it option but really it was just having me drop back and run," Holiday said. "We had a couple options plays in there."

When he signed with Notre Dame, over Nebraska and Texas A&M, Holiday knew there would be much competition for playing time. The Irish already had freshman quarterbacks Matt LoVecchio and Jared Clark. Rather than fearing the competition, Holiday embraced it.

"It was fun for me," he said. "Those [other quarterbacks] I had met before when they visited. We all visited together and we became real close. Other people may look at it as a competition [and] we did, but at the same time it was a friendship."

Even after seeing LoVecchio win the starting job and lead Notre Dame to a 9-3 season in 2000 and a Fiesta Bowl berth, Holiday continued working on his game, waiting for an opportunity.

Sure enough, in 2001 with Notre Dame off to a shaky 0-2 start, Holiday earned his first start against Texas A&M. Holiday would start the remaining eight games of the team's 5-6 season. While he was disappointed the Irish didn't have more success, Holiday knows the playing time was valuable in terms of learning and game experience.

"It was just a great season for me overall, just getting adjusted to playing college football," Holiday said. "Playing with some of the big time guys that left this program and learning from them, it helped for next season. It was a big learning experience. There were ups and downs and it made me stronger."

Tasting success ... for a short time

Then-first year head coach Tyrone Willingham stuck with Holiday to start the 2002 season and the move paid off. Holiday took the Irish to an 8-0 start, including an upset win against Florida State in Tallahassee in late October.

In that game Holiday, threw for 185 yards on 13-of-21 passing and two touchdowns, including a 65-yard score to receiver Arnaz Battle on the game's first play.

Holiday finished the 2002 season throwing for 1788 yards, 10 touchdowns and just five interceptions. The Irish, however, couldn't finish their magical season undefeated, losing to Boston College at home after Holiday left that game injured. Notre Dame would be blown out by Southern California on the road to end the regular season, before Holiday again went down, this time against North Carolina State in the Gator Bowl. The Irish couldn't recover without their starting quarterback and again lost in blowout fashion, this time 28-6 to the Wolfpack.

Still, for Holiday and the Irish, a 10-3 season with a first-year head coach was a giant step from the dreadful 2001 season.

"I don't think people realize how hard it is to go 8-0, especially at a place like this," Holiday said. "That was one of the more positives things that I've been through since I've been here at Notre Dame. It was remarkable. [We were] sorry it didn't end up the way we wanted to, but starting 8-0 was a big thing for this whole program."

Handling the hardships

There was every reason to believe Notre Dame would have another successful season in 2003, after the 2002 year. But things went wrong in a hurry for the Irish, especially the offense.

After a comeback victory against Washington State in the season opener, Notre Dame traveled to Michigan and got spanked 38-0, the most one-sided loss in series history.

Holiday, pressured by Michigan defenders the entire game thanks to an inexperienced offensive line, finished just 5-for-14 for 55 yards and an interception. He was pulled for freshman Brady Quinn in the fourth quarter.

Things didn't get any better the next week against Michigan State, when Holiday struggled in a Spartan victory. The quarterback ended the game just 10-for-25 for 99 yards and two interceptions.

The Michigan State game was the last straw for Holiday. Quinn was named the starter for the next game and would remain in that role for the final eight games of the season.

Through those three weeks, Holiday took all kinds of criticism from media reporters to alumni to fans and even students. Shirts popped up that said "The Holiday is over" on the front and "Quinn to Win" on the back.

Yet through all the hard times, Holiday kept a positive attitude and patiently answered every question at every press conference, no matter how difficult that may have been.

"You realize whenever you lose its going to come down to the quarterback and the coach and I realized that," Holiday said. "My thought was just to keep everything positive and try not to tear this team apart and do something that would hurt your reputation. I realized certain things were happening. ... We weren't playing as well as we wanted to. But [I learned] to just let it ride because there are others things besides football that are important."

Holiday took the bulk of the criticism for the inept offense, when other factors were also at work. The young offensive line struggled to give him time in the pocket. The running backs couldn't find any yardage on the ground, which put more pressure on the passing game. But Holiday never placed blame anywhere but on himself, even if he knew the criticism was unfair.

"It was definitely a combination of things," Holiday said. "We were young in areas. There are just so many other areas that go into losing a football game than just a single player."

Willingham said he's been more than impressed with the manner in which Holiday handled the heavy criticism from others.

"[H]e has really handled this situation with the most character of any young man that I've seen in a while," Willingham said. "He's stood tall, he's never backed away from any situation that he's been pressed into. With that, I have genuine respect for him."

Making the switch and returning for another season

After losing the starting job to Quinn, Holiday was asked late in the 2003 season whether he was interested in switching positions.

"I was on the sideline and they just wanted to find a way to get me into the football game," said Holiday, who had played quarterback since the age of 6. "So [the coaches] said, 'Do you want to go to receiver?' and towards the last couple games I decided to switch."

The switch was anything but easy for Holiday. He had to learn how to block, run routes and catch the football. The change didn't pay huge dividends for Notre Dame or Holiday as the new receiver caught just two passes for 13 yards.

Despite his best efforts, the transition was a slow one for the former quarterback.

"It was hard. I didn't really get adjusted to it until this fall," Holiday said. "It really took me awhile."

With a year remaining, Holiday decided to apply for a fifth-year and contribute to the Irish in 2004. After seeing another quarterback-converted-to-receiver Arnaz Battle have success in 2002, Holiday hoped to follow suit.

This season, Holiday has been the primary punt returner and has seen some action as a wide receiver. Heading into the Pittsburgh game, he has two receptions for 21 yards. Despite not putting up the numbers he would have liked, Holiday has tried to help the team in other ways.

"The season has been great," Holiday said with his usual optimism. "I have not played as much as I wanted to or caught as many balls, but I still have those opportunities to get on the field and help the team out. Even though I'm not playing a lot and I'm a fifth year and that's what I came back to do, other players can see that and stay strong when they're not playing as much as they want."

No one should be surprised by that attitude. Holiday has been putting Notre Dame's football team first for the past five years.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he might have potential from what he has shown, but he is obviously still developing.

He has been compared to Arnaz Battle.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers and receiver Carlyle Holiday have agreed to terms, according to the team's Web site.

Holiday, a two-year veteran out of Notre Dame, is the last of the Packers' four exclusive-rights free agents to re-sign with the team. Terms were not available.

Holiday had nine receptions for 126 yards in four games for the Packers last season after being claimed off waivers from the Arizona Cardinals. He is expected to compete for a reserve role this season.

Yippity do dah, after hearing the news that the Packers are not going after Turner, this news is even more thrilling.

It's like ordering steak and getting a slice of Bologna. More of the same

Jeez, can't we even announce a player signing on this board without putting a negative spin on it? Some of you people kill me. I share your disappointment with the lack of free agent signings, but please save it for another thread. Holliday deserved to be resigned.

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im glad we resigned Holiday as tiger said he is a real class act

i would not give up on turner yet there was talk of a tade not draft picks but players for him

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see the purpose in this thread because if TT DID sign Turner you wouldn't have anything positive to say about it anyways.

It's seriously to bad that your HATE for Ted Thompson is so much greater than your love of the GREEN BAY PACKERS.

And if you come back with that as not true I can say with great faith you have FOOLED THE HELL out of about 400 posters on this site.

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think if u read my 51 posts ive NEVER hated TT i cant see y there is so much hate for him he seems like a fair guy after all it could be worse we could have Matt Millen or al davis

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Look at what the Titans are doing this week, they are bringing in guys and I am willing to bet, are looking to see what they have available to them. I would be surprised if they sign them before draft day. I will explain the same logic that I think we are using, although we aren't bringing guys in right now.

Why sign anyone or make a trade for Turner until at least the first two rounds of the draft take place. We have no idea, especially this year how the draft is going to shake out. What if the RB darling Peterson starts sliding, if we make the deal for Turner we tie our hands in making a deal to grab AP. Point is it makes very little sense to pull the tigger on a trade this close to the draft without waiting for the draft to unfold.

I am not defending Ted here, because I am concerned that he isn't bringing guys in to at least take a look at his options to "PLAN" for any post draft moves. But to me, we have waited through the intial stages of FA, why not allow a couple more weeks to pass and let at least day one of the draft to unfold, see what picks are falling to us and then make a decision if we want to pull the trigger on a deal for someone like a Turner.

My two bits... for whatever it is worth.

PS - Holiday will make this team, just a feeling.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not defending Ted here, because I am concerned that he isn't bringing guys in to at least take a look at his options to "PLAN" for any post draft moves.

And just cuz it isnt announced means no one is coming in?

I.E. last year Lavar Arrington, no one knew ( media) seemed to know he was in Green Bay until he was about to leave

not trying to knock on your post, but my point is it happens all the time

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:
I am not defending Ted here, because I am concerned that he isn't bringing guys in to at least take a look at his options to "PLAN" for any post draft moves.

And just cuz it isnt announced means no one is coming in?

I.E. last year Lavar Arrington, no one knew ( media) seemed to know he was in Green Bay until he was about to leave

LOL... Yep, everything is 007 with the Green Bay Packers... I didn't rip nor defend, I stated that I am concerned. I could say something like prove that we have brought people in, but it is pointless.

You cannot post a single thing on this board at all without upsetting the left or the right Ted people. Have fun running around in a circle.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
packz..not saying you were ripping anyone..i just see it said all the time that no one is visiting...just cuz it isnt announced in the media

Pack93z

Reaction score
Well at this point of the year, the agents for the players themselves need to generate as most activity for their clients as possible, so why wouldn't the agent throw the press a bone if their player is visiting. But anyway...

This reminds me of the chicken and the egg question...

And I am not singling you out Longtime, I am growing tired of the battle, let each have their opinion wether to "hate" the job TT is doing or not. But don't build the threads around the premise to defend or bash, hell none of us know **** from shinola right now other than our opinion.

I mean look at this thread, we have posts that do nothing but point out the vibe from Pyles post.... you know how he feels... so accept it... move on.. and post something that has to do with the Packers... not how one feels towards the Ted. There is a thread in the Smack area for that!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have not made a lot of moves which is the very reason we can be the frontrunner of any deal out there that makes sense.

I highly doubt the Titans will pay the sticker price and unless SD gets that they are better off waiting until draft day with RB being a weak position this year.

It looks like it's going to be a WILD draft this year.

Pack93z

Reaction score
We have not made a lot of moves which is the very reason we can be the frontrunner of any deal out there that makes sense.

I highly doubt the Titans will pay the sticker price and unless SD gets that they are better off waiting until draft day with RB being a weak position this year.

It looks like it's going to be a WILD draft this year.

I completely agree.. that is why I think we are standing still... so many things could happen between now and the July :thumbsup:

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Isnt he the wr that made some tough catches last game vs the bears? or near the end of the season?

I think you're thinking of Ruvell Martin.

They both turned in tough catches. Holiday did especially well reaching back and snagging passes that were behind him.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see the purpose in this thread because if TT DID sign Turner you wouldn't have anything positive to say about it anyways.

It's seriously to bad that your HATE for Ted Thompson is so much greater than your love of the GREEN BAY PACKERS.

And if you come back with that as not true I can say with great faith you have FOOLED THE HELL out of about 400 posters on this site.

Try to follow along chief. Quit stating what I think or what I WOULD do. Go find me where I said bringing in Turner would be bad. In fact, I stated it would be a good move but I guess you would rather go around putting words in my mouth.I'm tired of people stating false **** and trying to pass it off as truth.

Secondly, you are like a stand-up comedian who's been using the same material for years. "You are not a Packers fan" in every other post gets annoying. I don't know how many times you can use the same regurgitated, worn-out material.

Lastly, I respect certain people here, and you are not one of them so your little attempt at attacking me because you are incapable of debating football, means little. I care what certain posters have to say, and the "defend Ted at all cost" crowd is not one of them. I'm glad you need to piggyback the "400 other posters" for validation but I have a spine and don't need people to agree with me. Pathetic, simply pathetic

Boltjolt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at what the Titans are doing this week, they are bringing in guys and I am willing to bet, are looking to see what they have available to them. I would be surprised if they sign them before draft day. I will explain the same logic that I think we are using, although we aren't bringing guys in right now.

Why sign anyone or make a trade for Turner until at least the first two rounds of the draft take place. We have no idea, especially this year how the draft is going to shake out. What if the RB darling Peterson starts sliding, if we make the deal for Turner we tie our hands in making a deal to grab AP. Point is it makes very little sense to pull the tigger on a trade this close to the draft without waiting for the draft to unfold.

I am not defending Ted here, because I am concerned that he isn't bringing guys in to at least take a look at his options to "PLAN" for any post draft moves. But to me, we have waited through the intial stages of FA, why not allow a couple more weeks to pass and let at least day one of the draft to unfold, see what picks are falling to us and then make a decision if we want to pull the trigger on a deal for someone like a Turner.

My two bits... for whatever it is worth.

PS - Holiday will make this team, just a feeling.

If you wait to make a trade for Turner and two rounds of the draft are in the books....he isnt going anywhere. Id think there is no way AJ Smith is going to take less than a first so certainly less than a 2nd rounder is out of the question.

Turner visits the Bills tomorrow and the Titans and Chargers have had discusions. Im sure there are ideas on what they would want for him and maybe nothing happens till draft day but Turner is worth a first and id rather have him over Lynch and maybe even Peterson who will get beat up like Chris Brown with his upright running style.

Members online

Latest posts