TT says "no visits scheduled"

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | Top prospects may not visit
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:59:52 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports the Green Bay Packers may not conduct any pre-draft visits with the draft's top prospects, according to general manager Ted Thompson. Thompson didn't rule out bringing in one of the big-name prospects before the draft, but he said it wasn't absolutely necessary. "I don't think we brought in anybody like that last year," Thompson said. "Usually you bring in a guy your doctor might want to look at again for a particular reason or you might have a question that didn't get answered. You interview a whole bunch of guys at the combine and you might want to talk to somebody again." The Packers appear inclined to let the prospects work at bowl games and the NFL Combine stand as the final word on who they'll select at No. 5.

I don't know how to take this, most other teams are visiting with players they believe will be available when they draft, I guess TT has seen everything he needs to see.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It won't change any minds and is really a waste of time.
Why wine and dine a guy who in a couple of months is just an unproven rookie. It really is counter produtive.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, i don't get the whole wine-n-dine thing. it's not like they are trying to choose which college to go to. you pick them, they play for you (unless you're Eli Manning)

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not to mention the whole process is overdone now anyway.... i realize there is a ton of money involved so they need to prepare, but jesus man, they push it pretty far, i think regular game experience and a few combine test is well enough to see what you want. i mean id rather have a guy because he was an unstoppable football player in college than someone who ran faster than him in 5 out of 7 different workouts.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. We have a #5 pick and we will be spending alot of money. We need to see our potential draftee more and get to know him. Besides what does it hurt.

Before I buy a house or a car I want to do my research which includes numerous test drives or on sight visits.

Obviously the Front Office feels differently. I just highly disagree with them.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, given every opportunity scouts have had to witness/interact with draft prospects, if they do not know what the player is about at this point, they should be out of a job. Besides, why tip your hand bringing players in. The Packers are a very unpredictable beast in this draft, why ruin that by telegraphing intentions.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats the other side of it digs and i like your point... TT is doing a very good job (whether or not hes doin it intentionally) of keeping our info and desires close to the vest.
NO ONE KNOWs including all us fans what the pack wants with or out of their 5th pick The less everyone knows the more valuable the pick is.

OP
OP
B

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great points everybody, thanks for the feedback, dis-information seems to be abundant when it comes to this years draft.

My feeling is we take AJ Hawk if he's there unless another team wants to give up multiple picks to move up to #5.

Of course Mel Kyper said we would be taking Hawk, so there is a good possibility that it won't happen.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Well, given every opportunity scouts have had to witness/interact with draft prospects, if they do not know what the player is about at this point, they should be out of a job. Besides, why tip your hand bringing players in. The Packers are a very unpredictable beast in this draft, why ruin that by telegraphing intentions.

Good post - Uncle Ted (I would think, by now) has a pretty decent stable of Scouts who can do his research for him, without having to spend money on wasted or redundant efforts. In his tenure under Ron Wolf, he was doing pretty much the same thing. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that some of the Scouts at Seattle followed him back to Green Bay. Consider it like a Bartender's Club - a pretty close-knit group.

Thompson's right to not spend the money now - save it for later.
We got two weeks - we'll see.... we'll see!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
digsthepack said:

Awesome post!

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:

And you also save the $$$ for the plane ticket, hotel room and dinner !!!! Way to go TT !!!!!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What this says is Ted Thompson pretty much has his mine made up and knows what he wants to do come April 29th. I hope we get Mario Williams... Imagine Williams and Mangold in rounds 1 and 2. That'd be a hell of a day to be a Packer fan if you ask me...

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Hawk and Mangold would be a hell of a day. It would take a minor miracle for Mangold to make it to us though. I can see him possibly not going in round 1 but with the Jets sitting before us in round 2 I think we will be 1 pick to late.

Whats interesting is what we do with that pick if Mangold is gone. To me we could go CB or WR.

At CB we could snag Antonio Cromartie or possibly Youboty as some see him slipping to round 2.

At WR we may pick Maurice Stovall or Sinorice Moss - though both may likely be gone. Demetrius Williams will still be there and may be worth the gamble if he can bulk up.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
digsthepack said:

And you also save the $$$ for the plane ticket, hotel room and dinner !!!! Way to go TT !!!!!

Very true digs and LMAO Chamuko !!! Good Stuff !!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
What this says is Ted Thompson pretty much has his mine made up and knows what he wants to do come April 29th. I hope we get Mario Williams... Imagine Williams and Mangold in rounds 1 and 2. That'd be a hell of a day to be a Packer fan if you ask me...
:D

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
At CB we could snag Antonio Cromartie or possibly Youboty as some see him slipping to round 2.

I read (on another board) that Fox Sports is reporting that Cromartie's coming in for a visit, but I couldn't find any confirmation...

Reaction score
Solid points by P88 and digs that I completly agree with.

pyledriver80 said:
At WR we may pick Maurice Stovall or Sinorice Moss - though both may likely be gone. Demetrius Williams will still be there and may be worth the gamble if he can bulk up.

The thing is, I am NOT sold on Moss. So his big bro Santana has become a solid WR, but Sinorice had a very medicore college career. His nmbers were comparable to Jeremy Bloom, the noly differnece being that Moss got more reps. Of course I could be wrong, but I just don't like this Moss kid.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts