TT on Vince Young

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the back page of the Chicago Tribune Packers GM Ted Thompson offers his take on Vince Young.
" The more I watch him now, the more I realize I haven't seen anyone like him. Usually when your're scouting a player, you think to yourself, "He reminds me of so and so." But in this case, Young doesn't remind me of anyone. He just seems to be one of a kind."

Vince Young does remind me of a modern up to date Randall Cunningham.
But I do wonder why did TT say this??

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vince Young reminds me a lot of Donovan McNabb.

I think Thompson is just giving his honest opinion, but if you're looking for a motive, it is in Thompson's best interest to pump up Vince Young so there will be a better chance of one of the top four teams drafting Young, rather than a player who would be more useful to the Packers. Also, if Young falls to the Packers, Thompson will want another team to want to trade up to get him. So who knows, this may just be a bit of gamesmanship on Thompson's part.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT's statement meant NOTHING...I have no clue what his take on Young is...he's unlike anyone else...is that a good thing, a bad thing? He usually does everything he can to say something to avoid controversy or hurting himself in the future, but he took the cake w/ that quote

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
TT's statement meant NOTHING...I have no clue what his take on Young is...he's unlike anyone else...is that a good thing, a bad thing? He usually does everything he can to say something to avoid controversy or hurting himself in the future, but he took the cake w/ that quote

Musccy... LOL.... that is exactly how I looked at this statement.

I swear to God... TT took this response right out of the mouth of Sonja Serbic.

Sonja was, in my mind, the best looking gal at Alpha Secondary School in 1974.

Gosh, I worshiped that girl. I cherished the hallway she walked on. She had these bell bottom jeans that were torn and ragged in the back, every step Sonja made was truly music in motion. The beads she wore around her neck were multi colored and had a hint of the hippy philosophy 5 years before in1969 that shouted “Make Love Not War.â€

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
musccy said:

Musccy... LOL.... that is exactly how I looked at this statement.

I swear to God... TT took this response right out of the mouth of Sonja Serbic.

Sonja was, in my mind, the best looking gal at Alpha Secondary School in 1974.

Gosh, I worshiped that girl. I cherished the hallway she walked on. She had these bell bottom jeans that were torn and ragged in the back, every step Sonja made was truly music in motion. The beads she wore around her neck were multi colored and had a hint of the hippy philosophy 5 years before in1969 that shouted “Make Love Not War.â€

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Young was a projected mid to late round draft pick, I would agree with you guys that Thomspon's comment was neutral. But everyone agrees that Young is one of the best players available in the draft. To call a really good player "one of a kind" is a compliment.

On the other hand, maybe we can all agree that Thompson's comment doesn't amount to a hill of beans anyway, since it would be stupid for him to make his true opinion known.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love pre-draft talk almost as draft day talk....you ever notice how every single GM gets the player they charted as the best on their board??? I just can't see how that could possibly be the case but it is every year...this guys are business-men and "politicians" in the way they address the media.

It's hard to know if TT has any rationale for making the comments he does this early before the draft.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
I love pre-draft talk almost as draft day talk....you ever notice how every single GM gets the player they charted as the best on their board??? I just can't see how that could possibly be the case but it is every year...this guys are business-men and "politicians" in the way they address the media.

It's hard to know if TT has any rationale for making the comments he does this early before the draft.

Wouldn't it be great to hear something like 'well we BJ Sander as our projected 1st round pick but then we thought about it and assumed he'd slide a few rounds right back into our lap, so yes it was a risk we just had to take' ... that'd be freaking funny :(

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
NDPackerFan said:

Wouldn't it be great to hear something like 'well we BJ Sander as our projected 1st round pick but then we thought about it and assumed he'd slide a few rounds right back into our lap, so yes it was a risk we just had to take' ... that'd be freaking funny :(

"BJ Sander was charted as high as a late first-rounder but once we got into the second round, we just had to move up to get him...he's going to make an immediate impact on our club...that is, after we bring in a 38 year veteran for a season, then send him over to NFL Europe, and then give him a year to....ah, forget it. The kid sucks and will taking the next train out of GB!"

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Zero2Cool said:
NDPackerFan said:

"BJ Sander was charted as high as a late first-rounder but once we got into the second round, we just had to move up to get him...he's going to make an immediate impact on our club...that is, after we bring in a 38 year veteran for a season, then send him over to NFL Europe, and then give him a year to....ah, forget it. The kid sucks and will taking the next train out of GB!"

lol

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:

We got the player we projected to be there.

We got the player we had targeted.

We were very fortunate to have a talent like him on the board when our turn to draft arrived.

We see a great future for this player.

He has a tremendous up side.

He has potential to become a Pro Bowl player within the next few years.

We like his potential.

We forsee great things from this fine young man.

Ever notice that white players are rarely referred to as fine young men?

There is a lot of meaning in each of the statements. Each cliche' is not to be taken literally.

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He reminds me of a more accurate, bigger Mike Vick. That isn't good though because I can't stand Vick. I really like Young though.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, If TT wastes his 1st round pick on another QB, I will lose all faith in him as GM. We drafted a QB last season who was considered by many to be the #1 draft pick overall. At the time, I felt we needed a lot more help on defense, but after careful consideration I feel that drafting A-Rod was the smartest move TT could have made for the future of the Packers franchaise.

A-Rod has played exactly ZERO regular season games, save for a late showing in a blowout against Baltimore, complete with a broken O-line and without Green, Walker or Davenport. What exactly did you expect to happen? Did you think he was going to waltz in and outplay Favre (who, despite being one of the premier QBs in the league, was still unable to win more than 4 games with the garbage offense we were stuck with last season). Let's give the kid a chance to prove himself before we start digging his grave already.

Bottom line: If you are expecting Favre's replacement to be the next Ben Roethlisberger you are going to be very disappointed no matter if TT decides on A-Rod, Young or makes a play for Leinart. :roll: It generally takes 2-3 years for a rookie QB to come onto his own in the NFL... Anyone who does not realize this really doesn't know a whole helluva lot about football.

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts