TT on Arrington's Visit - Now get it Done !!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TUE., APR 11, 2006 - 11:30 AM
Packers: Thompson calls Arrington's visit 'good'
JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
[email protected]
GREEN BAY - He's not doing it to appease Brett Favre, but the Green Bay Packers quarterback might want to take note that general manager Ted Thompson has now brought in the two biggest free agent names remaining on the market in the past seven days.

One week after the team played host to four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Charles Woodson, three-time Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington visited Lambeau Field Monday, and Thompson said he thought Arrington had a good visit.

"It went well from my point of view," Thompson said Monday evening. "He seemed to have a good time."

The No.• 2 overall pick in the 2000 draft, Arrington, 27, became a free agent when he bought his way out of what was left on an eight-year, $68 million extension he signed with the Washington Redskins in December 2003 by forfeiting $4.4• million last month.

Earlier in free agency, he visited the Miami Dolphins, New York Giants, Cincinnati Bengals and Jacksonville Jaguars, and while all those teams remain in the running, Arrington hasn't signed yet because none was willing to meet his asking price.

That price, according to agents Carl and Kevin Poston, includes $10 million in guaranteed money.

The Postons also represent Woodson, who also remains unsigned after visiting the Packers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Thompson certainly won't overpay for Arrington, who went to three straight Pro Bowls from 2001 through '03 but missed 12 games in 2004 with a bone bruise in his knee that required two surgeries.

Despite being cleared medically last season, the 6-foot-3, 255-pound Arrington fell out of favor with the Redskins and only played sparingly, recording 47 tackles in 13 games.

Asked if he thought about getting Arrington and Woodson, prominent players who are coming off injuries and looking for fresh starts, at a discounted price, Thompson replied, "I don't know about that. We just felt like they're pretty good football players. We wanted to visit with them, they agreed. And now we'll see where it goes from there."

Thompson said there has been "some dialogue" between the Packers and Poston regarding Woodson, but that he had no timetable for when Woodson would make a decision.

In his latest comments, before his charity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss., on Saturday, Favre again bemoaned Thompson's relative inaction in free agency, saying the Packers "have to make a statement" and sign a big-name player. Both Arrington and Woodson would fit that bill, although they don't play the position Favre seems most concerned about - offensive line.

Nonetheless, Thompson maintained his interest in Woodson and Arrington had nothing to do with Favre's comments.

"We think they're both players that can help us - or help anybody else," Thompson said. "So we're looking into it."

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bla,bla,bla,bla....... With TT I wont believe anything until I see the smoking gun, and the dead body, and I have the autopsy in my hands, and the dead is buried, and the flowers around the grave fade,,,,,,,,

Arrington left without an offer.... so how was your date with Angelina Jolie? Well great stuff we had a great time together, great dinner, etc, etc, but she ended up in bed with Mr. Pitt instead of me !!!

Anyway hope dies last...

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Optomistic view there chamuko :D

With all of those other teams interested, I'm less than optomistic, but arrington would be a nice addition (barring price). I'd imagine that'd shake up our #1 draft pick, though.

I still don't care for Brett's comments though. He'll only come back if the Packer's moves suit his needs...balogana...he should come back because he wants to play the game and help the team!

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
Optomistic view there chamuko :D

With all of those other teams interested, I'm less than optomistic, but arrington would be a nice addition (barring price). I'd imagine that'd shake up our #1 draft pick, though.

I still don't care for Brett's comments though. He'll only come back if the Packer's moves suit his needs...balogana...he should come back because he wants to play the game and help the team!

Exactly, well stated

My theory, which I thought was crazy at first but I'm starting to believe is that...Brett knows he's not as good as he was (not saying he sucks, but this is not 30 year old favre anymore), and needs the packers to compensate to cover for him...

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
Bla,bla,bla,bla....... With TT I wont believe anything until I see the smoking gun, and the dead body, and I have the autopsy in my hands, and the dead is buried, and the flowers around the grave fade,,,,,,,,

Arrington left without an offer.... so how was your date with Angelina Jolie? Well great stuff we had a great time together, great dinner, etc, etc, but she ended up in bed with Mr. Pitt instead of me !!!

Anyway hope dies last...

Yeah, that's about how I feel too but one can only hope !!!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i do like that Lavar was excited enough to want to talk to Brett.
i also like that TT said it went well. it seems like they are holding some info back or something, i dont know it just seems weird to me... like maybe they know he wants to play here but they are holding it back for some reason....maybe im freakin crazy though.

anyway im with yall until i see it in writing that we signed him... im gonna try my damndest to hold my excitment down.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think if we sign LaVar and Charles it would make our 5th pick more valuable to other teams looking for a QB.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
I think if we sign LaVar and Charles it would make our 5th pick more valuable to other teams looking for a QB.

If we sign Lavar then I wouldn't mind the team drafting Vernon Davis. With Walker and Murphy likely not playing for us next season, the team needs a big time receiving threat. Davis fits that bill, and having reliable tight ends to throw to could make Rodgers' transition to starting in the NFL easier.

dannychau22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is just teasing packer fans and is only bringing in big name guys because lots of people were complaining about it

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrington coming to green bay is much more likely than charles woodson..... i see us picking up ahmed plummer soon after woodson decides to pick Tampa. i just heard on sportscenter again from john claytons hideous hideous mouth that he indeed did have a great visit and is very excited.

scharles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LaVar would be an amazing move. I see it more possible than the Woodson deal because of his excitement, a major plus, seems like he really wants to play here. Hopefully the ink is dry before we know it.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
He hasnt missed to many meals.

Not really a nice thing to say about the Admin there ;)

One he could be inhaling, the next exhaling. C'mon some of you had to have played football atleast in highschool. (that is a helluva belly though lol)

Point I'm very poorly making is, he probably had the gut in the pic on the left as well.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He could have his butt cheeks clenched and his stomach pushed out in anticipation of the upcoming play...

I know I do..!!!

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
He could have his butt cheeks clenched and his stomach pushed out in anticipation of the upcoming play...

I know I do..!!!

Too much information!! :eek:mg:

Members online

Latest posts