"TT is holding Brett Favre hostage..."

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like somebody that is arguing for spending money on big names to give an example of a time that worked. All of the teams that have gone far recently that I can think of built through the draft and low level free agents. The Steelers, The Seahawks, The Patriots, The Eagles brought in TO but they only won one more game in the playoffs than they did the year before and they did so with him on the sidelines. If it was proven that a team can build themselves up by big spending in free agency I would be all for it.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
I would like somebody that is arguing for spending money on big names to give an example of a time that worked. All of the teams that have gone far recently that I can think of built through the draft and low level free agents. The Steelers, The Seahawks, The Patriots, The Eagles brought in TO but they only won one more game in the playoffs than they did the year before and they did so with him on the sidelines. If it was proven that a team can build themselves up by big spending in free agency I would be all for it.

I would like somebody that is arguing for spending NO money to give an example of how that will work ? I will try and find the piece I read where Green Bay was listed as third from last for off season improvement this year !!!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
SuperRat said:

I would like somebody that is arguing for spending NO money to give an example of how that will work ? I will try and find the piece I read where Green Bay was listed as third from last for off season improvement this year !!!

Per that article then the Packers shouldn't even play and snatch up the first overall pick next year! CAN I HEAR A BRADY QUIN!!

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could give examples easy. Biggest one the Patriots. They don't go out and spend big money in the offseason and they have been very competitve with players that they have drafted. This year the Patriots have signed two free agents that I've heard of and only four that weren't on their team last year. Have they been getting flack for it? No because they can win with good coaching and players they get through the draft. Have they signed any big name free agents in the last several years? None that I have heard of. The Steelers. Did they sign any big free agents last year? No but they did lose one of their best recievers.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It took the Patriots several YEARS to get to where they could win 3 SB's...and how did they do last year..??

The Patriots are going to gradually fall off the radar as they lose key players to FA each year...You can only keep a team like that together for so long..and then you lose those players...There are no dynasties anymore...and remember it took them and Pittsburgh..YEARS to get to that point...

With FAVRE and FEW KEY, HIGH PRICED PRO Bowl TALENTS...LIKE TO...Walker..Moulds..etc...the PACK could get to the SB NOW...!! This year...or the next...not maybe in 2-3 years if TT's plan comes together...

You've got to be able to build and plan around what you have now..because of FA..you may not have it in the future...!!

That's why Seattle probably won't repeat..and I doubt Pittsburgh will either!

Alot of people here love the mantra..."Don't spend $$$ on high priced players"...or "build through the draft"...It's not a guarantee people...and you can't stay on top forever...Look at TB and the Ravens...

A modern GM has to have the ability to put together a football team that can win NOW...not in 2-3 or 5 years down the road...NOW!! And when you have a talent like Brett Favre on your team...why NOT try to build around HIM...it would be the smartest thing you can do...He can get you there NOW!! TT..give the man some WEAPONS won't you...and he will be dropping bombs all over Lambeau..baby..

and when he retires...you develop another plan...

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"A modern GM has to have the ability to put together a football team that can win NOW...not in 2-3 or 5 years down the road...NOW!! And when you have a talent like Brett Favre on your team...why NOT try to build around HIM...it would be the smartest thing you can do...

When he retires...you develop another plan..."

Exactly 66 !!! but I am too tired for this debate today !!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, there really are no examples in the last 8-9 years of teams that spent big andended up going to the SB. On the contrary, there are dozens of teams who spent big and flopped!

Pack66, It may have took NE alot of years but they were and still are a powerhouse. You don't retool every year. You build a championship team and try to fill in the pieces that leave year to year.

We do not have a championship team, and though it may not correspond to Brett's biological clock you have to keep building slow and steady. It sucks that BF will not make itback to a SB but he was there twice, so he's lucky he got his chance when so many greats did not.

T.O,Moulds,Allen,Hutchinson,Vinitieri,etc are not going to take this team to the SB. It's just not going to happen.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
It took the Patriots several YEARS to get to where they could win 3 SB's...and how did they do last year..??
sorry chop quote.

They won three SB in four years. If we have to endure a few bad seasons to win three more. so freakin be it. Sometimes things have to get WORSE before they can get better.

You really need to learn to take the good with the bad and see a future. <-- well thats jus my suggestion

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, if there was any evidence of a team recently that spend money on several big name, key free agents and made it to or won the Super Bowl, I would like to see it. Until then it is best to go the proven route. I hate to keep bringing this up over and over but the Redskins are the key example of the big free agent signings and they have not been successful.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
Once again, if there was any evidence of a team recently that spend money on several big name, key free agents and made it to or won the Super Bowl, I would like to see it. Until then it is best to go the proven route. I hate to keep bringing this up over and over but the Redskins are the key example of the big free agent signings and they have not been successful.

Vikings too :(

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Zero...

YOu put a LOT of faith in TT...but little in FAVRE...

(imo..in terms of what's been "earned"...it should be the other way around...)

and Rat..

the Skins never had a QB the likes of Brett Favre of the Green Bay Packers..!

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be stretching reality to expect a 4-12 team with a rookie coach to compete for the Super Bowl no matter who the QB is. Players will be adjusting to a new coaching staff, and the staff must analyze how different players fit into their system. Anyhing better than 8-8 should be considered a great accomplishment. However, if the Packers can return to respectability this year, there is no reason they can't be a serious contender in 2007. I suspect this is what TT has in mind. I hope Favre will decide to be a part of it. He is certainly healthy enough to play another 2 years. I know Brett has said that if he returns, this will be his last year. However, if the team finishes strong enough to create a lot of optimism for 2007, I don't think he would walk away. On the other hand, if Brett only wants to come back if the team can be a serious contender this year, I think he is being unrealistic.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought they were only a "few players away" from competing this year...!

Also..didn't they only lose by a "few points" in most of their games last year..??

People like to point that out too...

(There seems to be alot of division on this board on exactly what the state of the Green Bay Packer football organization is this year....hmmm..) :hammer:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Zero...

YOu put a LOT of faith in TT...but little in FAVRE...

(imo..in terms of what's been "earned"...it should be the other way around...)

and Rat..

the Skins never had a QB the likes of Brett Favre of the Green Bay Packers..!

You put a lot of words in my mouth and I do not appreciate it one bit. Refrain from it any further. I thank you for your cooperation on this.

I've never given Ted Thompson more credit than I have Brett Favre (I mean jfc he has THREE freakin MVP an a SB ring, what does Ted have? he was a freakin BACKUP LB).
Obviously you have me mistaken with someone else. Find that person. Leave me out of your dillusional comments :)

I think it is Sherman who has this team hostage and Ted needs to realize the team has money for a reason. SPEND SOME OF IT!
Sign LaVar
Sign Charles Woodson
Give some to Javon to make him happy.
Use some to get rid of Roman (hitman? jk i wouldn't wish death on anyone... but maybe we can pay someone to take him?)
Sign David Boston
Heck if Vince Manuwai is available sign his ***!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To all the "Favre can win it on his own" Brett has had some MUCH better teams surrounding him than what he had last year, or could have this year, yet he's been to 2 SBs...whose to say that we blow the bank, that Brett's presence alone will win the SB?!?!?!?!?!?!

Like superat keeps saying...look at the vikes...they've thrown an *** load of $$$ at everyone under the sun for years now...no results...raiders went fairly big w/ a few names last year...nada...Titans in recent years...etc. etc!

And as pyledriver keeps saying, who the hell is TT supposed to bring in this year....T.O...hell no, Moulds...expensive aging veteran...a healthy JW and Diver are better options...Allen...fat, old. Hutchinson is the only guy I see, but he'd cost an arm and a leg...there wasn't as much out there as ppl want to believe there is!

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Musscy..

Distorting the facts a little...???

You well know that a statement like...

"Brett has had some MUCH better teams surrounding him than what he had last year, or could have this year, yet he's been to 2 SBs.."

Is distorting the truth more than just quite a bit....

First of all..it is highly questionable that he's had "better teams around him"...You mean with Sherman as GM...You're saying he fielded better teams than TT is doing now..??

Favre had to deal with developing "rookie" receivers....a godawful defense...and the coaching tandem of tweedle dee and tweedle dumber..with Sherman and Rossley...who couldn't even manage to change the game plan from one week...to the next!

Yes..they churned up yards and "statistics" on the ground but as you know..SherRossley's disfunctional Packer teams were far from good...

I know that you are critical of Favre...but let's not stretch the truth here...

If Favre had the horses around him....he could take the Pack all the way...(unless you think Rodgers would be the better choice....)

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[email protected] what I'm saying at all...

You assume that if TT throws a bunch of $$$ at the big names, then due to Brett's presence....PPPPOOOOOOFFFFFF...SB CHAMPIONS! Well, the packers of the mid-late 90s had tons of talent...some of the best packers ever, but only one ring to show for it. So what makes you think that throwing a bunch of $$$ at some players simply because they're a big name will automatically equal success?

You're begging TT to do what you criticized MS for...TO, Hutchinson, and Moulds are the Nickerson, Joe Johnson, and Terry Glenns of 2006. Some could pan out, sure, but you could also wind up w/ a $36 mil DE with a phantom tricep injury..and what good does that do?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Brett needs horses around him......BUT.......they have to be the RIGHT horses.

Let's compare T.O. to a Horse, which is close to what I usually compare him with.

A Horse that constantly wants to act beligerent, do his own thing, and piiss on his owner and fellow horses IS NOT A HORSE WE NEED. He may be a great horse but he slows up the whole process and all the other horses hate em.

Signing Allen would have been like signing a Donkey. A Donkey just not fit in with the rest of the horses and what those horses are trying to do.

It isn't Madden on the XBOX. Signing BIG-NAME guys that have behavioral problems and guys that don't fit the scheme is not the answer.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah..

Allen's a donkey..

a perennial all pro donkey who would protect Brett's *** better than your imaginary, small, athletic "zone blockers"....

TT is the kind of guy who if he was sent to fix a broken window pane in a house..would dismantle the house around the window so he could "concentrate" on fixing the problem....

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is slightly ridiculous, but continuing with the horse analogy with Allen, it is more like he is one of those gigantic horses crap i forget their name, the kind that the budweiser horses are, anywho he is one of those when the team needs small athletic horses to fit their gameplan.

As for the house analogy it is more like he is fixing a broken window plane with ordinary glass, boring looking but will do the job, when you want him to replace the window pane with stained glass that does a better job at looking good, then it does at holding up and not breaking.

No more analogies. I can't believe i actually typed that all out.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
TT is the kind of guy who if went sent to fix a broken window pane in a house..would dismantle the house around the window so he could "concentrate" on fixing the problem....

Brilliant, that made my day.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack66 is the kind of guy who hates everything about a team and still claims to be a fan. He hates TT,and MM he hates Sherman rosselly and all the players except favre. if there isnt anything you like on this team.... your more than welcome to become a colts fan right now... i hear they got it all goin on over there.

pyledriver is right again. this isnt madden on xbox. guys on paper can be as great as you want them to be. what matters is how they fit into your gameplan.
yall are wanting to go into a gun fight with a knife that you have glued other knives to. you cant just cram good looking peices into a puzzle, they have to fit and then the big picture looks good.

i just crammed way too many analogies into one post.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts