OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah..

He hasn't sat still..

In football you have to have someone who is a FB, RB, DE ...etc...

(It's just WHO he signed...and who he didn't...that bugs me.)

I mean..don't PERSONNEL matter in the NFL...

IF you have a Brett Favre or a Joe Montana or a Dan Marino...wouldn't you want to build a football team around that person's ability to help you win...or do you just want a guy who can hand the ball off like Rothlisberger and be asked not to lose the game?

Is that why TT wants Favre back..to hand the ball of to Najeh and Green for his precious "zone blocking" scheme...?

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre isn't the General Manager of the Packers. His job is to play quarterback. I fail to see how the zone blocking scheme is going to hurt Favre. The linemen have all said positive things about it, Najeh Davenport is thrilled about it because it fits his style. The best offensive lines in the league use zone blocking so I fail to see how it hurts Favre? I thought Marino's retirement wasn't handled very well. They pushed him out and he was considering playing for somebody else but he retired instead. Just because he doesn't want to go and sign very risky players such as TO to make Favre happy, doesn't mean that that he is pushing him out. There isn't any reason that he should change his philosophy based on one player, no matter how great that one player is. He was a major part in building a NFC championship team in the Seahawks and I don't know about you, but I would like to see that happen with the Packers. Great teams build their team through the draft. I know you want us to turn into the redskins and sign every big name player to make it look like we can contend but the redskins are constantly failing to compete. We lost eight games by 7 or less points last season. The team isn't that incredibly bad. A few key pickups, a good draft, and hopefully less injuries and there is no reason we can't contend, but you will believe whatever you want to despite not having facts to back you up.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Pack 66 and DePack I really beg God that I have to apologize to all this guys for not being on their side when TT and A-Rod get to the SuperBowl and win it within 2-3 years.

I really would love to apologize when the Packers bounce back from 4-12 to 12-4 with big A-Rod on the steering wheel this season.......

But I dont see that coming..

I see that must of this guys will get upset when we see:

A-Rod getting almost killed by a bad O line.

DD being the best receiver, should I say sole receiver, again.

Missing field goal

Etc, etc, and having another 4-12 season at best..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess singing 2 of the top 10 FA listed and offering a 3rd to be the highest paid at his postion is not good enough..

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66, you are forgetting that a team is Offense and Defense. Sure we sign Moulds or T.O. and we have Brett but how does this improve our Defense? You have to be kidding yourself to think that if we sign T.O. we are automatically Super Bowl contenders.

There are 344 other facets of the game. Can we run the ball to set up the pass? Can we stope people on Defense?

You make it sound like Brett can just drop back and throw it to T.O. every play and we can just score unlimited amounts of TD's.

Moulds is not much of a Difference maker at all these days anyways.

I am not bashing you Pack66, I just think that Superat is right on the money. This is not Fantasy Football or Madden, sorry.

The O-Line zone blocking scheme will be easier to implement with the younger guys.Furthermore, you can find players easier to fit that style of play. It is definitely the right move. Did you see the line last year? Do you think Allen could play both Guard spots? We are more than Larry Allen away from being able to effectively block in the normal fashion.

I want you to answer my questions

What Big Name Free Agent did the Steelers sign last year?

and
Would you have paid Moulds 19 million and a 5th rounder to come here?

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
SuperRat..

Najeh..is always friggin' hurt..so I don't expect to see him on the field taking advantage of this "zone blocking" scheme that doesn't yet have the right personnel to gel into a successful unit...

and secondly..."We lost eight games by 7 or less points" for one reason..and one reason only...Brett Favre!

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It took the Steeler YEARS to get to where they were last year..and they had the best receivers in the league...If Favre was on that team...they wouldn't have needed the refs to hand them the SB...

A 5th rounder is no big deal and is Moulds receiving 19 mil..this year..or is it back loaded in the last year so that he will never see that money after 3 years when the Texans cut him or ask him to restructure...??

Yeah..I would have signed him...

(and it wouldn't be just Moulds who would get us to the SB..it would be....

Favre to TO, Walker, Driver and Moulds = SB..!! I mean..sweet Jesus...could you imagine the NUMBERS Favre would put up with a cast like that..?? IT would be mind boggling...)

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best Recievers in the league? Ward and Randle-EL?

Where was the BIG NAME free-agent signing? If it took them years who did they sign in those years?

They built a team, the right way. They did not go for broke like the Skins and Vikes try to do every year.

They built through the Draft and lesser-known free-agents.

The NFL is a marathon not a track meet.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think people just want to get the NAMES in now to get Brett one more chance..

But fact is that does not guarantee an automatic Super Bowl..

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, thats what it is Longtime fan. I would like to see Brett get one last run but guys like T.O. and Moulds are not going to get us there by themselves. We have to many other spots to improve

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Very well put SuperRat!

I am not a huge TT fan but I am not going to bash the guy for not OVER-PAYING big name guys who aren't worth the money. It simply does not work as the Steelers proved last year.

He brought in Pickett, a guy who is a budding star in this league. Manual has potential. Taylor is another guy who has a motor. Boerichter is a big target. He resigned Green,Davenport,Kampman,Henderson,Gardner,etc.

The guy has not sat still at all this off-season. He has brought in talent at a decent price. If he signs Arrington or Woodson this off-season would be great, if not, it was still very productive.

SOOOO...everybody he signed you agree with. And you haven't named someone he should've signed. SOOOO why are you not a huge fan?

C'mon...don't start slingin' the BS pyle. The guy can do no wrong with you. Which is fine. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Just be honest. You ARE a huge fan!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can blame TT for all this but but the truth of the matter is he inherited a team that has lost several key players and virtually no depth, AND, he wasn't given a pot to pee in.

Now it's go get this guy, go get that guy, what are you doin'? Spend, spend, spend.

You act like my wife at the mall on pay day. The dang money is burning a hole in your pocket.

Hell, every big name FA looks good. So does every 10 point teaser. They don't all turn out that great though. And what about what this does down the road.
Don't you think that Mike Sherman's great move of paying KGB about twice what he's worth didn't affect resigning some guys we could have held onto? Everybody screaming about Wahle and Rivera. Well, you have to watch what the heck your doing!

So this is the answer. Throw money out there left and right and end up dissecting the core of the team down the road, one by one, 'cause why?
Oh yeah. We just HAD to throw all that money out there at these guys in '06.

I think TT knows what he's doing. Arrington and Woodson are not worth what they are asking. If they get it let be from somebody else. Otherwise, wait until reality sets in and then see if we can't snag them.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So he pockets the money...Brett retires....and we pay the penalty for not spending enough cap money. Or better yet....he is forced to spend the money on players not worthy. You can't pocket the money. There is a minimum!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is ridiculous Depack. I know its a black or white issue to you but to me its not. Its not that simple to some of us. I know I have a different opinion then you but to accuse me of slinging BS is absurd.

I have been critical of TT not resigning Wahle. I started a thread stating TT should have signed Gramatica over Cundiff and I have bashed TT for his terrible signings last year.

I will give credit when I think its deserved.

I don't want TT to sign guys like T.O. or overpay Moulds. I don't want a guy in Allen who does not fit what we are trying to do nor do I want to give Hutchinson a record contract.

TT has done a magnificent job this year. He has brought in the young talent at reasonable prices. If they suck like Hunt, or go T.O. and destroy your team, then you are not to financially strapped to them.

I am not even pumped like everyone else is about Woodson or Arrington. They are out there because they want too much money based on what they did a few years ago, not last year. It is a gamble.

If TT signs them and they regain thier form, Great. If TT passes and they go somewhere else and fall flat on thier face, are you going to call TT a Genius?

If he passes and they turn out to be good signings, I will be critcal of TT but I am not going to bash the guy like hes some kind of evil idiot.

As Superat said this is not Madden. You can't sign T.O. and throw the ball to him every play and score 74 Points a game, its just not realistic.

It's just like a leaky roof. If you got 6 leaks you can spend all your money to patch one REALLY WELL, and stuff the rest of them with tissues but its still going to flood your house sooner or later.

OR

You can patch them all securely and stay dry.

This team is more than 1 impact player away from a Super Bowl. To many leaks need to be patched to spend all money patching one.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great, more of P@ck66's irrational ramblings. Everything that pyle driver has said has been right on the money. Furthermore...BRETT WILL BE GONE AFTER THIS YEAR, IF, and I repeat IF he even plays this year. STOP DWELLING ON BRETT TO SAVE THE TEAM.

Pyledriver is right...it makes NO sense to sign some "****" big name just for the sake of luring Brett back...e.g. the $$$ for moulds, T.O, or an aging fatty like Allen who wouldn't mesh with the scheme.

Some of you guys are so concerned about kissing up to Brett and laying out the red carpet for him, that you can't see what's best for the team.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets pay the penalty for not spending the minimum,,,, maybe better lets spend a lot of money in a lot of bench warmers have them compete, cut the worst of the worst and pray that TT gets to the SB with the cheapest team in history, wouldnt it be great to get to the SB with a team that has been penalized for not spending the minimum...... Then and only then Lord TT´s, maybe Sir TT will suit him better, real genius will be shown to everybody !!!!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
don't be so presumptious...we have no clue what he's offered to Woodson, Arrington, or how much our draft picks will cost.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
don't be so presumptious...we have no clue what he's offered to Woodson, Arrington, or how much our draft picks will cost.

There is a rumor on a couple of other forums that TT offered a real LOW LOW BALL contract to Woodson, he got upset, and he is having Lunch Today with the Bucs.... Take it for what it´s worth...

Maybe TT doesnt want to mortgage the financial future with a nice luncheon at a steak place, maybe he got Woodson to have lunch at McDonalds !!!!! just kiddin´ , just kiddin´ !!!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, and theres a RUMOR that TT offered him more money than TB.

Get over it, Woodson is only going to improve this team, not make it a Super Bowl contender. This team can be Improved in so many different ways but signing Woodson and Arrington are NOT the only way.

You don't overpay......period! Arrington has been scouted by several teams and NONE are willing to give him what he wants.

It's like paying 50,000 for a sports car with a 4 cylinder in it.

It may look pretty but on when it gets down to it its just your average car. Arrington has got to come down on his demands or he won't be playing here. When TT won't budge on the money we will see "how much he really loves GB"

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pyle...

You are assuming..(as well as many others are..and TT for that matter...too!) that the Packers can't compete for the playoffs or the SB this year...even with Brett Favre..!!)

Me, DePack, Winnipeg..Chamuko and some others are saying that if you surround your HOF QB with some serious weapons...and fill in some of the holes on defense and offense...(and this can be accomplished with the $$ TT had..)...then you could have a serious shot at the playoffs/SB with Brett Favre at the helm...

It's not out of the realm of possibility...

But TT's seems to be totally discounting it..as well as yourself...and some others on this forum...

But..I will say once again..that it is possible to build a team AND try to be competitive now...but TT seems to have gone right into the 2-3 year REBUILDING plan..and he is not being honest about it with Brett Favre, himself...or the fans..

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Me, DePack, Winnipeg..Chamuko and some others are saying that if you surround your HOF QB with some serious weapons...and fill in some of the holes on defense and offense...(and this can be accomplished with the $$ TT had..)...then you could have a serious shot at the playoffs/SB with Brett Favre at the helm...
Sorry for the chop quote.

As I've said numerous times. The Steelers won the SB as a WILD CARD team all we need to do is get in the Playoffs and let Brett (hopefully his luck changes in the playoffs) do his thing with some valid weapons that are HEALTHY.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I thought they were only a "few players away" from competing this year...!

Also..didn't they only lose by a "few points" in most of their games last year..??

People like to point that out too...

(There seems to be alot of division on this board on exactly what the state of the Green Bay Packer football organization is this year....hmmm..) :hammer:

Pack 666, YOU instigate a LOT of the divisions and love to point them out...

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
P@ck66 said:
Sorry for the chop quote.

As I've said numerous times. The Steelers won the SB as a WILD CARD team all we need to do is get in the Playoffs and let Brett (hopefully his luck changes in the playoffs) do his thing with some valid weapons that are HEALTHY.

I Agree with all of the above !!!

Members online

Latest posts