TT is forgetting one very important thing....

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WR is very thin this free agency. There's Keyshaun, Moulds, and TO. We don't have the ammo to sign Nate Burleson away from the Vikings. So resigning Gardner was the best we could as of now. Pending what happens with Walker and what the Bills do with Moulds we may go for him.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would rather see..

TO, Walker, Driver & Moulds....

but I'll settle for...

TO, Walker, Driver & Gardner....!!

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All this hyperventilating about our wide receiver situation is nonsense. All-Pro wide receivers are a luxury, not a necessity to get to the Super Bowl. None of the wide receivers who played in this year's Super Bowl finished in the top 20 of the league for receiving yards. Hines Ward was 22nd. Donald Driver is a better receiver than anyone who played in the Super Bowl.

Signing T.O. would be the dumbest thing that Thompson could do. What is McCarthy supposed to do to keep T.O. happy that Andy Reid didn't do? Putting T.O. in a Packer uniform would be a disgrace to the uniform. :hammer:

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dont worry its not going to happen. Also as I have said all along defense wins championshps not great receivers/offenses so lets get defense.

gado35

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
Dont worry its not going to happen. Also as I have said all along defense wins championshps not great receivers/offenses so lets get defense.

chicago had a amazing defense and they didnt win. we need to be able to put some points on the board. Get TO

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gado35 said:
gopackgo4 said:

chicago had a amazing defense and they didnt win. we need to be able to put some points on the board. Get TO

Chicago lost in the playoffs BECAUSE of their defense. Their offense was more than good that game.

BUT...we're not even close to having the struggling chicago offense theyve had over the last 5(5? 50? feels like it) years(Although theyre gettin better).

Our defense was top 10 in some key categories last year, and it will only improve as we get better player (pickett > grad, Manuel > roman) and THE SAME DEFENSIVE SCHEME with a coach we had last year!

The offense has 3 problems

1. O-line: TT seems to be trying to fix it, signing barry(and hopefully someone else, or draft someone)

2. WR: Driver,Gardner,Williams,Franks,Lee - those are our weapons as of March 16th. Those are solid weapons for a QB. More talent will be signed\drafted.

3. QB: If Favre doesn't come back, we're screwed. Get T.O. I am sure Rodgers\T.O. would work out just fine (honestly, are you guys serious *Edited by AADP - no need to go on the attack ?). Kitna,Brees, and McCown signed now.

Getting T.O. = worst idea ever

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
because someone's a friggin' moron...

(that's why..)

66 I agree that we need weapons, but TO is not the answer for any team. I was high on him until last year with Philly, and it just proved no one can be on top with this guy. Philly got to the Super Bowl because of having great team chemistry and did it without TO throughout the playoffs.

GB has had a great offense until last season. The killer: no OL and missing a running game. First priority must be solidifying the OL!!! We do that, then Favre has time to pick apart defenses with Driver, Gardner, Franks, Lee and hopefully Walker. It would also take the pressure off the passing game by giving us a solid running attack.

Now you add a factor of having a defense that did well last year and is improving, and we have a formula for success. If you want to give Favre, or whatever QB, true weapons to work with, then get good protection, a solid running game and good defense. With those weapons, average QBs can succeed. With those weapons, we know Favre will succeed!!

GO PACK GO!!!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
route25 said:
All this hyperventilating about our wide receiver situation is nonsense. All-Pro wide receivers are a luxury, not a necessity to get to the Super Bowl. None of the wide receivers who played in this year's Super Bowl finished in the top 20 of the league for receiving yards. Hines Ward was 22nd. Donald Driver is a better receiver than anyone who played in the Super Bowl.

Signing T.O. would be the dumbest thing that Thompson could do. What is McCarthy supposed to do to keep T.O. happy that Andy Reid didn't do? Putting T.O. in a Packer uniform would be a disgrace to the uniform. :hammer:

Did you just say Donald Driver is a better receiver than Hines Ward?

Why are you guys afraid of T.O.? If you followed the eagles like myself, JavonWalker84 or others that live in this area, you would want him. There is no strong leadership in Philly....yes that includes McNabb and andy Reid. If MM or others can't control T.O. then they shouldn't be coaching the Packers.

Quit acting like *....."we don't want him"..."he's a cancer"......"we can't control him".....We're the GREEN BAY * PACKERS for * sake. We're not afraid to sign anybody!!!

*EDITED BY AADP - lets keep it a little more clean.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
route25 said:

Why are you guys afraid of T.O.? If you followed the eagles like myself, JavonWalker84 or others that live in this area, you would want him. There is no strong leadership in Philly....yes that includes McNabb and andy Reid. If MM or others can't control T.O. then they shouldn't be coaching the Packers.

Quit acting like pus$ies....."we don't want him"..."he's a cancer"......"we can't control him".....We're the GREEN BAY MFin' PACKERS for Christ sake. We're not afraid to sign anybody!!!

Oh I get it. It's everybody else's fault what happened in Philly. T.O.'s not to blame. He's probably just "misunderstood". The Packers aren't "afraid" to sign T.O. They're just smart enough not to do it.

And yeah, I did say Driver is better than Hines Ward. What Driver was able to do with defenses focusing on him because of the lack of other offensive threats was amazing.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta agree route25. Driver pulled all coverage and STILL had a great year. But let's also face the fact that they are two very different receivers with very different skill sets. Not better or worse, just different.

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
route25 said:

Quit acting like ....."we don't want him"..."he's a cancer"......"we can't control him".....We're the GREEN BAY PACKERS for sake. We're not afraid to sign anybody!!!

You sound more like a DeEagles fan than a Pack fan. So you followed the Eagles and the TO fiasco right into the city dump, and expect true Packer fans to welcome a jack* like Owens. Owens isn't the only one who suffers from a learning disorder!

*EDITED BY AADP - lets keep it a little more clean.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Signing Gardner was a good first step. He was the 15th pick of the first Round in 2001 by Washington. As recently as the 3rd week of the 2004 season, three WR competed for offensive player of the week.

1.) Javon Walker, Packers 11 catches for 198 yards and 3 TDs;
2.) Reggie Wayne Colts 11 catches for 184 yards and a TD; and
3.) Rod Gardner Redskins 10 catches for 167 yards and 2 TDs.
BTW Peyton Manning won it that week with a 5 TD performance

Gardner, who is big, strong and with good upside, could revive his career with the Packers, and as far as I know, the guy at the top of the above receiving list that week is still the property of the Packers.

Add Donald Driver and Robert Ferguson and the cupboard is not exactly bare. Murphy is a long shot to return from injury, but today we will wish him the luck of the Irish (he has the right last name -- I guess we could call him black Irish today)... and pray for this talent young prospects return.

PLEASE STOP BRINGING UP THE SIGNING OF HARRY Camp-fodder WILLIAMS -- he was a late seventh round draft pick who not only never has caught a pass -- he could not make special teams on the JET -- one of the few teams drafting ahead of us. Add to that, the JETS did not think he was worth bringing to mini-camps or paying his plane ticket to NFL-E. Maybe a miracle will happen and he will develop, but any rookie signing should offer more talent and at least as much hope.

BTW CB is NOT a high need position on this squad -- but LB is, where the Packers have one legitimate NFL starter - Barnett; one with upside that could emerge Thomas; Two good rookies (moving into their 2nd seasons) Poppinga and Manning -- one of whom was seriously injured -- with athleticism and upside, but still as raw as fresh cut meat; and Paris Lenon -- a good career backup and special teams player.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
BTW CB is NOT a high need position on this squad -- but LB is, where the Packers have one legitimate NFL starter - Barnett; one with upside that could emerge Thomas; Two good rookies (moving into their 2nd seasons) Poppinga and Manning -- one of whom was seriously injured -- with athleticism and upside, but still as raw as fresh cut meat; and Paris Lenon -- a good career backup and special teams player.

I disagree.

(At this point) We are 1 injury away from having 0 CBs. If al got hurt we would only have Carroll(id rather have cheesey), HAwkins(young and not catching on as fast as some hoped), and who else..horton? cmon...

Its a huge need.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Bruce said:

I disagree.

(At this point) We are 1 injury away from having 0 CBs. If al got hurt we would only have Carroll(id rather have cheesey), HAwkins(young and not catching on as fast as some hoped), and who else..horton? cmon...

Its a huge need.

Of course you disagree.

You think not having 3 NFL starting quality LB for the three LB positions on the defense is less important than having better backups in case some one gets hurt at CB.

First of all, do you remember what you thought of Hawkins when he was drafted? Of course not because you whined and complained because you had never heard of him.

I had, and thought he might be a steal if he could develop -- which he has.

Only morons went from thinking he was an idiotic pick to having such high unrealistic expectations over the course of a few months. He is ahead of scedule on his development.

* *EDITED BY AADP - no need for personal attacks. Can't we all just get along?

Further, Horton is not a bad backup CB -- better than most teams have. Of course you wouldn't remember that last season it was a miracle that he was even playing football -- coming back from a life threathening illness (the same one that killed Reggie White). If he can come back stronger and fully recovered this season he will add nice depth, though of course the Packers are always hoping for competition to push him or replace him -- as with all positons.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
tromadz said:
Bruce said:

I disagree.

Its a huge need.

Of course you disagree.

You think not having 3 NFL starting quality LB for the three LB positions on the defense is less important than having better backups in case some one gets hurt at CB.

First of all, do you remember what you thought of Hawkins when he was drafted? Of course not because you whined and complained because you had never heard of him.

I had, and thought he might be a steal if he could develop -- which he has.

Only morons went from thinking he was an idiotic pick to having such high unrealistic expectations over the course of a few months. He is ahead of scedule on his development.

But as usual, when you don't know something, you just make crap up.

wow, I am glad you can read my mind. Not only that, I am glad you can rewind it so not only do you know what I think, you know what I thought. That's amazing.

If you think Al\Carroll\Hawkins\Horton is a good CB unit..then thats your problem

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
We need CB and LB. I think CB is more needed then LB. Barnett, Poppinga, Manning ... good players right there. Young group. Thomas is a 'decent' back up.

Harris and Carroll... Harris is a stud and I think Caroll will step up this year. Depth we sorely lack though. Hawkins and Horton ... gosh we need help if that's our back ups.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am by no means saying abandon the offense and work only defense what I am saying is if a team has a great D and an average Offense they can win it all

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the Bucs they did it. Now look at a high powered offense the colts they havent won it. Plus the bears have an average D and a poor offesnse.
Kyle orton come on

Members online

Latest posts