TT draft trends

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
-- Tends to hit big on first day WR's. None of Jennings, Jordy, Jones, or Cobb cost him first rounders, but all were big hits. I'm not sure TT has had a single WR bust on Day 1 of the draft in his tenure. I don't gig him for Terrance Murphy.

-- Oddly enough, hasn't had much success with early D-lineman but has in later rounds. Raji had some early success before really underplaying his draft position in the last 2 years. The jury is still out on Datone Jones. Daniels, Jolly at the time, and potentially Boyd, might be good late round steals. Justin Harrell was probably the biggest bust of the TT tenure. Worthy isn't looking much better.

-- TT has had success with offensive linemen in mid to late rounds (Sitton, Lang, Bahktiari,), but when attempting to select blue chip linemen early, has been plagued by injury (Bulaga) and injury combined with ineffectiveness (Sherrod).

-- Everything else has been hit or miss without any real pattern. B-Jax was a bust in the 2nd and Green in the 3rd, but Lacy and Starks hits in the 2nd and 6th, respectively. While Brian Brohm was a bust in the 2nd, Rodgers' backup was still found in the 7th with Matt Flynn. The LB's, as well, have been hit or miss. Collins was an outstanding pick and it's a shame injury ended his career early. Burnett has been okay, and McMillian a bust.

Any rhyme or reason behind any of these trends or really nothing more than sheer chance? Should it influence TT's draft strategy?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any rhyme or reason behind any of these trends or really nothing more than sheer chance? Should it influence TT's draft strategy?
Sometimes it's just more luck of what's available at the time versus strategy.

Below are a few tables out of my draft spreadsheet that show the tendencies of our past three GMs in the draft:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing "punter" at the top of the Mike Sherman's average draft round made me laugh.

Now Sherman, that was a horrible GM. As bad of a GM as you could possibly imagine. Breaking the bank for Cletidus Hunt, Joe Johnson, and others -- trading multiple mid-round picks to move up in the 3rd to take punter BJ Sander, who wasn't even on anyone's radar at that point. Backloading unpayable contracts which ended up putting us in salary cap hell.

Ron Wolf was great, but he made one key mistake (along with Harlan). Handing the GM reins off to Mike Sherman.

Sherman wasn't a bad coach, but the turning point in his career was the 4th and 26 game in 2003-04. He had the Eagles beat, 4th and a foot at their 40, and was going to go for it which would have essentially sealed the win. Andy Reid put all his chips in by calling timeout, and Sherman folded. A subsequent punt gained only 20 yards of field position, the Eagles came back, Donatell was infamously scapegoated, and it was downhill for Sherman from there in Green Bay.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally didn't consider Brandon Jackson a bust but everything else seemed about right

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally didn't consider Brandon Jackson a bust but everything else seemed about right
If we don't win the Super Bowl is he considered a bust? I think his rushing stats for a first round RB point to bust, but things like his pass catching and blitz pickup that Super Bowl year keep him from fully qualifying.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we don't win the Super Bowl is he considered a bust? I think his rushing stats for a first round RB point to bust, but things like his pass catching and blitz pickup that Super Bowl year keep him from fully qualifying.

Brohm was a bust for us, Jackson just didnt play to his draft spot, he falls into the AJ Hawk category for me.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brohm was a bust for us, Jackson just didnt play to his draft spot, he falls into the AJ Hawk category for me.
At the time, he was our best receiving threat out of the backfield and a capable third down back.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw an interesting interview with Andrew Brandt last week. He said the Packers model for drafting and rostering is proven and it works. He came right out and said what we all know...but it was kind of jolting to hear his words. They were talking about how the Bears are finally starting to do it right now by wrapping up their decent players.

He said something along the lines of "When I was with the Packers it was real simple. We were not going to lose our superstar players. He gave a percentage of the roster that the front office knew was going to be prospects, mid level players and rookies.

I'll see if I can find the piece but the number was very high. The Packers basically expect that 50% or more of their team will be made up of those types of players. Basically... they cross their fingers that our superstars can carry the team while getting just enough from all of the rest. Knowing this, a guy can see why Ted drafts who he does. IMO, were it not for massive injuries the past few years, Ted would be known as the top GM in the NFL.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw an interesting interview with Andrew Brandt last week. He said the Packers model for drafting and rostering is proven and it works. He came right out and said what we all know...but it was kind of jolting to hear his words. They were talking about how the Bears are finally starting to do it right now by wrapping up their decent players.

He said something along the lines of "When I was with the Packers it was real simple. We were not going to lose our superstar players. He gave a percentage of the roster that the front office knew was going to be prospects, mid level players and rookies.

I'll see if I can find the piece but the number was very high. The Packers basically expect that 50% or more of their team will be made up of those types of players. Basically... they cross their fingers that our superstars can carry the team while getting just enough from all of the rest. Knowing this, a guy can see why Ted drafts who he does. IMO, were it not for massive injuries the past few years, Ted would be known as the top GM in the NFL.

Andrew is very honest and open about the Packers..

He gave huge insight in the Brett saga..

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Lacy (who was drafted around the same spot as B-Jax) had turned out to be a RB whose best skill was picking up a blitz, we would consider him a bust.

So I certainly would apply that label to Jackson.

Members online