1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

TT draft article

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Jan 30, 2014.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,074
  2. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,452
    I guess that explains why the following draft (2011) was his worst to date. That pesky super bowl game got in the way!

3. net

net Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +62
    Click on this link: http://www.packers.com/history/draft-history.html Give each person drafted a + grade, minus-.
    Don't say "too soon to tell". Even as a rookie, you can show something, like Micah Hyde. Add up the plus and minus column and then make the argument that Thompson is an effective drafter or not. Since this is where he acquires 95% of the talent, you can see where things are sitting.

4. packfan1

packfan1 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +17
    When your team has 5 straight playoff appearances and a Lombardi Trophy, I think one can say yes, TT generally drafts well. Not to mention we played much of the season without Rodgers and Matthews our two best players...as well as some other important players. Yeah, TT drafts well, and McCarthy is a very good coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,398
    I don't really agree with this. Yes you CAN show something as a rookie but that doesn't automatically mean they are a minus if they don't.

Neal did nothing early in his career, but turned out okay. Desmond Bishop didn't emerge until later in his career. As I recall, Jordy Nelson looked like a mistake pick early in his career but turned out to be a fantastic one. Sitton may have been the same, although I don't completely recall. Lang took a few years. Not every rookie is going to be as effective as Clay Matthews, Casey Hayward, or even Micah Hyde.

That said, I'd agree that Thompson needs to start doing a little better job on the defensive side of the ball in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,011
    The injuries over the last 4 years are a huge part of the team performance. There's a reason starters are starters. I'd say that MM ranks up there in coaching with the results his teams have achieved in spite of them, and the division championships with backups all over are a testament to the quality of the young players TT has drafted. One of these years we're likely to have no injuries to starters (like SF) and watch out. I'm not saying there are no improvements needed (o-line, d-line, linebacker, d-backs) but we're in the playoffs every year, and I think Rogers is right when he says a new window is opening for another run to a Championship.

Those of us who survived the 70s and 80s know how bad things can be.....

7. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    "Those of us who survived the 70s and 80s know how bad things can be...."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!:tup:

8. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,012
    Packer Update is done by Michael Rodney, a former sportswriter. I think it's a good site but of course don't agree with everything he writes.

Here's a blurb about Thompson scouting from the Packer Update site: http://packerupdate.net/?p=29968

And here's some fodder for both "sides", although it's not strickly regarding the draft:

Ted’s Worst Moves of ‘13: http://packerupdate.net/?p=30132
    Ted’s Best Moves of ‘13 http://packerupdate.net/?p=30060

BTW, I am not affiliated with the site.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  9. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    I just don't know how people can keep "rating" Thompson without comparing him to other GMs. As we've said many times, a person can look at any GM in the NFL and come up with a list of complete busts and poor moves. There really is a gross misconception about the realities of draft results and rostering. I don't give a crap what anyone wants to spew about TT, for this team to be winning year after year, despite some brutal years with injuries... TT is doing well.

10. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,388
    IMO the guy's pretty accurate about his best and the worst moves as well. Hard to argue with any of them.

11. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,012
    I think Thompson is doing pretty well too, but what Rodney is doing is looking at all of Thompson's moves this season and relating what he views as his 5 best and worst. Nothing wrong with that and there's no need to comment on how that compares to other GMs because he's just looking at Thompson's moves. And look what he says about Thompson in the first link, "Every time I get frustrated with the 61-year-old general manager for refusing to participate in free agency or failing to restock the personnel department, I read things like this and quickly realize how fortunate the Packers are to have such a tireless and dedicated person running their front office." That's pretty even-handed, isn't it?

12. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    Yes... there's nothing wrong with analyzing it like this. It's just that very seldom do fans ever do any sort of a side by side comparison of GMs. This is like trying to analyze a 2014 SUV and only looking at one make/model. How do I know if 20 MPG is good or bad if I can't compare all 2014 SUVs?

...but you are correct... nothing wrong with looking at the best and worst.