1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Troy Vincent: Harris got pulled out of his game plan

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Greg C., Feb 2, 2008.

1. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is Troy Vincent's take on what happened to Al Harris in the NFC championship game. He backs up what some posters here said after the game: that Harris got caught up in the verbal sparring and lost his focus:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=713824

2. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    While I agree in principal, it's still not a good enough excuse. Harris knew what was on the line, and he should have ignored the taunts. I know that's easier said than done, but after the first few times he got burned he should have known that getting upset and letting the situation escalate wouldn't help.

3. joym13

joym13 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting! Harris for sure had a bad game, but a little bit of a pass rush would have helped tremendously!

4. DoddPower

DoddPower Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!

Ratings:
    +54
    I agree. Like I said in another post. As long as we run this style of defense, we HAVE i mean HAVE to be able to consistently put pressure on the quarterback with our front four or we will have a hard time taking things to the "next" level.

5. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Nobody has suggested that it was an "excuse." Harris had a bad game, and it's his fault, regardless of why it happened.

Personally, I'm still not convinced that the verbal sparring had anything to do with it. Harris runs his mouth a lot out there, and so does Burress. That's just the way they are. If Harris had won the matchup, I suppose everyone would be saying that he got into Burress's head with all the chatter.

6. DoddPower

DoddPower Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!

Ratings:
    +54
    Perhaps having a 6'4 Rouse out there vs. two safeties at 5'11 would help?

=)

I'm not sure if Rouse will be able to overcome Collins next year or not, but Rouse and Bigby honestly sounds pretty good to me.

7. millertime

millertime Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I like Rouse out there too. Maybe Collins could play the nickle???

We need a CB in the first round though. Our best nickel right now is Tramon Williams...

8. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    nah, i do not believe the smack talk had anything to do with what happened in the NFC Championship.
    The giants watched film of al harris, discovered that after the initial 5 yards, al does not have explosive speed, and he is also not gifted when it comes to tracking the ball and making plays when the pass is in the air.

it was coaching and gameplan. eli was throwing the ball to certain areas of the field. so when plax got pass the first five yards, he just used his big body to make plays.

9. VAPAckerFan

VAPAckerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I dislike collins so putting rouse out there is better. To me in both playoffs games it felt like collins was tring to be like bigby to much, by giving the knockout hit to many times but instead of hitting them he missed and both Seattle and New York got extra yards cause of this.

10. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Harris got too wrapped up in the verbal jousting rather than defending the receiver. His technique in this game was horrible. These head games he tries to play caused him to get beat. It's just that simple. I've seen it before with him. He screws up because the receiver takes him out of his game by getting him into verbal battles. Harris is a good corner, no doubt, what will make him a great corner is to shut his mouth and just play defense.

11. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed strongly. I'll give credit to the Giants for Al being burned.

MM won't make the same mistake next year. If he sees Al having problems like that, he'll sneak a Safety and maybe get a pick out of it, which would turn the game around.

12. Danreb

Danreb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Nick Collins can't cover for ****. I don't know if he's worthy of being a Nickel, especially if Will Blackmon can stay out of the hospital.