Troy Smith

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we need to draft another QB in the first round. It's OK if we draft one later but drafting another one in the first would not only be a waste of a pick but also crush Rodgers confidence.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
tromadz said:
isnt rex grossman also a 'shorty'

6'2"

He's about Favre's size.

Smith is under 6 foot.

Troy Smith is NOT under 6 foot, and you know it.Smith will also be a first round pick and be an excellent choice for the packers

I know it????

Another Buckeye fan huh?

I never seen so many fans get so sensitive about one player not being a 1st round pick. Maybe he is 6 foot but that's still not that tall for a QB. Even 6'1" is fairly small for a QB. He definitely isn't going to go top 10 because of his size. Most NFL Scouts like to compare him to Drew Brees. Drew Brees went in round 2. Scouts, GM’s and all NFL Personnel aren’t going to change their draft philosophy on positions because of Troy Smith.

I've never seen one single player in the history of the Draft to have so many question marks about his size. The consensus is he's maybe 6 feet tall. Smith has a lot riding on the Senior Bowl where the talent is equal. He plays well there he could go in round 1 but probably not as high as GB is picking. I think maybe a team like Baltimore, Kansas City, and Jacksonville might take a look in round 1.

Farther more I'm not saying he's a bad player. He's a great player and I think he can have a solid NFL Career because he has great intangibles and is a winner but that doesn't mean he's a better prospect than Brady Quinn, Brian Brohm, or Jamarcus Russell. He's not.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
porky88 said:
tromadz said:
isnt rex grossman also a 'shorty'

6'2"

He's about Favre's size.

Smith is under 6 foot.

Troy Smith is NOT under 6 foot, and you know it.Smith will also be a first round pick and be an excellent choice for the packers

I know it????

Another Buckeye fan huh?

I never seen so many fans get so sensitive about one player not being a 1st round pick. Maybe he is 6 foot but that's still not that tall for a QB. Even 6'1" is fairly small for a QB. He definitely isn't going to go top 10 because of his size. Most NFL Scouts like to compare him to Drew Brees. Drew Brees went in round 2. Scouts, GM’s and all NFL Personnel aren’t going to change their draft philosophy on positions because of Troy Smith.

I've never seen one single player in the history of the Draft to have so many question marks about his size. The consensus is he's maybe 6 feet tall. Smith has a lot riding on the Senior Bowl where the talent is equal. He plays well there he could go in round 1 but probably not as high as GB is picking. I think maybe a team like Baltimore, Kansas City, and Jacksonville might take a look in round 1.

Farther more I'm not saying he's a bad player. He's a great player and I think he can have a solid NFL Career because he has great intangibles and is a winner but that doesn't mean he's a better prospect than Brady Quinn, Brian Brohm, or Jamarcus Russell. He's not.

Well we know where the Packers will pick now. Smith will be there for GB to select, but i don't think TT will select him. Rodgers was a first round pick, so i guess he'll have his chance. The Packers have to many other holes to fill, and I think Brett's coming back. we'll see how it pans out come april

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky I'm a Buckeye fan and I do not want Troy Smith. He is too big of a risk. He is about 6' tall at best because at OSU as AJ Hawk confirmed they always list you as one inch taller than you really are if you are a football player.

Troy is...well he's an enigma. Probably a legend at OSU and may very well be the best OSU QB to ever play there, but it looks to me like the offense they run is very QB friendly. He rarely has to time routes(IE crossing routes or slants) because when everyone watches OSU vs FLA you will notice many of the throws he makes are to sit down routes in the zones. He takes a long time to make his decisions(the Oline at OSU doesn't get NEAR enough credit IMO).

In his defense he does have a very strong NFL capable arm and throws the deep ball about as wel as anyone as Ive ever seen. He's got great leadership skills and is mobile enough to hurt you, but would rather find a reciever first. I think he has the skills to play in the NFL, but I think the big thing that will hurt him is the speed of the NFL pass game.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
id much much much much rather wait till later and select Jared Zabransky.

Troy smith would be great in the second round and wouldnt mind if we did.

but better value cause JZ will go in the later rounds... that way if A-rod does pan out... you didnt waste a 2nd round pick on something you didnt necessarily need. Plus JZ is a proven winner also... plus the name Zabransky just sounds like green bay.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think those saying "Dont get him" might change their opinion if favre DOES retire.

Rodgers vs. Smith in training camp would keep a lot of Packers fans sane, knowing the best QB of the 2(both could be very good, no reason they shouldnt) is playing QB.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think he should be considered. A-Rod hasn't proven anything, and at the time of this post is out for the seaso with a broken foot.

Wouldn't Aaron Rodgers vs. Troy Smith be a great QB battle?

If he falls into the later rounds, I'd agree.

However, paying a legend, a first rounder and another first rounder all QB cash is a lil bit of a waste of money. If we could dump a rod, then for sure get him in the first if available.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After tonights game it's safe to say he won't go in round 1. I haven't got a chance to watch the game again. granted the protection wasn't great but he struggled even when he did have time to throw. I would rate him as a mid 2nd rounder. He'll need a heck of a Senior Bowl and Combine to climb the rankings.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After tonights game it's safe to say he won't go in round 1. I haven't got a chance to watch the game again. granted the protection wasn't great but he struggled even when he did have time to throw. I would rate him as a mid 2nd rounder. He'll need a heck of a Senior Bowl and Combine to climb the rankings.

He was ugly.

4 complete passes? 35 yards? 25 % interception ratio.

I do not care how poor his O Line was, how well the FSU secondary was playing, or how long of a lay off he and O.S.U. had. He is the H.T. winner, and that was the worst performance I have ever seen.

Notre Dame would have beat him by 10 points tonight, and U.S.C would have beat him by 46 points. I would not draft him until the 4th round.

Question? Why is it that these kid's who are blessed with the greatest education available in the free world do an interview after a game and speak at the seventh grade, third month level? It is freaking amazing.

Smith is a great story. Smith is a kid who came from the bad streets. The sad thing is there are a million stories about kids from the hood who made it to the draft, but never made it after that. There is a challenge here and someone needs to fix it.

The answer is not at changing a kid's life by bringing him to college, but changing His life at the age of 10 and giving him a foundation to build on.

Now before some of you jump on my *** for this post, I am not talking about just Smith, I am talking about so very many college football players who leave the system with nothing that would get that player a second interview in a job application based on their speaking skills.

RP

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still dont understand 1 bad game out of 6 very big games he played in the other 5 games he was amazing. So for one bad game he gets tanked, yet players like quinn who have 3-4 bad games and win 0 big games yet sill get all the props. well I guess some people just pick him cuz he is 6 5....

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:
I still dont understand 1 bad game out of 6 very big games he played in the other 5 games he was amazing. So for one bad game he gets tanked, yet players like quinn who have 3-4 bad games and win 0 big games yet sill get all the props. well I guess some people just pick him cuz he is 6 5....

Quinn is just a better prospect. He has NFL Size for a QB. Has a better arm. Better intangibles. Played within an NFL System. Mentored by the guy who pretty much made Tom Brady what he is today. Quinn has a lot of things going good for him. Also 37 touchdowns isn't exactly average either. He’s not as good as he was made out to be but he’s still a good prospect and a top 3 pick.

Smith faced a good defense for really the 1st time. Michigan's D lost a lot of creditability with the way John David Booty torched them. Booty would be a 3rd round pick if he'd declared.

Florida really showed Smith different looks and it confused him. Florida's D isn't near what an NFL D would show him. Not to mention that because of his height if you get pressure on him it really makes it more difficult for him to get rid of the ball.

With a good Senior Bowl he could end up late 1st - early 2nd yet but in all likely hood I think he grades out to go in the 2nd round. I wouldn't be shocked to see Cleveland go Joe Thomas in round 1 and then Troy Smith in round 2.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the fact. Troy is 5'11" and can't see well enough over the front of the line. Going back to watch the tape he just COULD NOT step up into the pocket. He kept trying to roll out and ended up in the arms of a DE or else running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Tress didn't help Troy in that game though by abandoning the run, but Troy is NOOOOTTTTTTT an NFL QB and I've been saying that to fellow buckeye fans to much my own dismay.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the fact. Troy is 5'11" and can't see well enough over the front of the line. Going back to watch the tape he just COULD NOT step up into the pocket. He kept trying to roll out and ended up in the arms of a DE or else running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Tress didn't help Troy in that game though by abandoning the run, but Troy is NOOOOTTTTTTT an NFL QB and I've been saying that to fellow buckeye fans to much my own dismay.

Interior pressure and having your DE's contain the outside would literally shut him down. That’s pretty much what Florida did except they could do it with just bringing one extra guy. Their front 4 just dominated. I agree in the NFL it’s going to be that way most of the time. Troy Smith in Green Bay would be an awful fit and a waste of pick.

He also doesn't have a quick release and in the NFL every QB needs that.

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok people stop talking about him being 5"11 and not being able to see over the line. OSU's O line is big and he has no problem thier so why would he all the sudden have a problem in the nfl. Also I seriously think that the game against florida was fooked up. I have seen ohio state play a lot and they just did not look like the usual osu team. they looked off like something just was not right.
well i guess we will have to wait and see what troy will do in the nfl when he is thier.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:
Ok people stop talking about him being 5"11 and not being able to see over the line. OSU's O line is big and he has no problem thier so why would he all the sudden have a problem in the nfl. Also I seriously think that the game against florida was fooked up. I have seen ohio state play a lot and they just did not look like the usual osu team. they looked off like something just was not right.
well i guess we will have to wait and see what troy will do in the nfl when he is thier.

Troy has always had trouble seeing over the line which is why they usually roll him out, move the pocket, or have him take 6-7 steps back. Even then he takes a LOOOOOONNNNGGGG time to make his decision. He even voluntarily gets out of the pocket by himself quite often and it isn't because there is pressure(cuz many times there isnt).

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would never pick a QB under 6'2" in the draft, the chances of making it at QB in the NFL are very very slim, and the chances for a QB under 6'0" is even slimmer.. He's maybe worth a 6th or 7th round pick, lol.

I even doubt he will go before the 3rd, at least, even later.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are guys like Zabransky, Kolb and Palmer that I'd have no problem taking ahead of Smith.