1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Troy Smith

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by tromadz, Nov 20, 2006.

1. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I think he should be considered. A-Rod hasn't proven anything, and at the time of this post is out for the seaso with a broken foot.

Wouldn't Aaron Rodgers vs. Troy Smith be a great QB battle?

2. Popcynical

Popcynical Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I dunno... there are other positions that need to be addressed as well. A-rod hasn't proven anything and hasn't been given a chance either.

3. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be all for picking Smith in the 2nd round since that's where is likely going to go. The list of 6 foot and under QB's is very thin in the NFL. Mike Vick and he isn't exactly a sucess. Pretty much the only exception is Drew Brees who went round 2.

So Smith will be a 1st Day pick and has a great arm but his size is a huge risk.

4. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    isnt rex grossman also a 'shorty'

5. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    6'2"

He's about Favre's size.

Smith is under 6 foot.

6. Yared-Yam

Yared-Yam Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Talk about a waste of a pick. I'd seriously rather have Ingle Martin play than Troy Smith.

Maybe it's because I'm infatuated with him, but that doesn't keep me from making a blind argument.

What am I talking about? In closing, Ingle rules.

7. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a diehard Ohio State fan and after watching Troy for the last 3 years my advice to TT is to NOT pick Troy Smith unless he lasts to the 6th round or more which is doubtful.

8. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think Brian Brohm will be a kind of Ben Roethlisberger, Drew Bledsoe guy, would be a nice pickup in the second round if TT and MM has really lost confidence in Rodgers.

9. subin

subin Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I heard Brohm would go early first round if he comes out this year, don't think he'll be available in the 2nd.

10. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    lol, I said he would be a nice pickup if he was available, and the draft hasn't been yet, so I don't think you can say he won't be available. Many players fall a little, so don't assume too much.

11. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Brohm was once a top 10 pick but has had a poor season. Still a 1st round pick but not as high as once thought. He was my favorite QB in this draft but definately going to have to examine things more closely with him becase he showed a lot of flaws this year.

12. Drich318

Drich318 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    There have been pre-draft analysis that says Smith is a mid to low 2nd round pick. If the Packers can get Smith with a 2nd round pick, I would be very tempted to use it. I really like Troy Smith's ability and his cost would be much lower and the reward is much higher than any other possible 2nd round pick.

13. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't Smith pretty much lock up the Heisman? I don't see a Heisman winner going in the second round...!

14. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Chris Weinke went in the 6th.
    Crouch in the 3rd I think.
    Jason White went undrafted.

Smith has an NFL arm just not an NFL body. He's going to be picked apart by scouts because of his size. He'll be one of those guys who'll come into the NFL with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove.

15. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think his size is fine, he only needs to build some muscle on his frame.

16. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Only 2 QB's who are under 6 foot in the NFL that actually start. Mike Vick and Drew Brees. Brees went in the 2nd and is actually more similar to Smith than Vick in terms of their passing game. Vick is only starting because of his legs and has very poor accuracy.

His height is a huge concern and he does need to add some weight.

Personally I think given the chance he could end up being a nice steal for someone in the 2nd round and maybe he slides into the 1st but I wouldn't count on that. I actually like his NFL Arm but scouts are still going to pick him apart because of his height.

17. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    porky, did u read my fast 3 round mock in the other post in here?

what do you think?

18. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Could you post the link or send it to me. I don't remember seeing one.

19. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    it's in the "next draft" thread in here

20. sbp_387

sbp_387 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Size is not going to be a issue the for simth the, he is fine he can make grate plays even at osu where the avg line siz is 6ft 4ish

21. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Size has already become an issue. Each week they talk about Smith being a 2nd round pick and Quinn going top 10. ESPN, ESPN Radio, and even NFL Network. It's already become a factor and will be even more come Draft Day.

22. sbp_387

sbp_387 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    well i dont really care what the "experts" think, Smith will be very good and the teams that pass him up b/c of his size will be sorry....

he can throw for the pocket, out of the pocket, deep balls, fast balls and he can get out and buy time if he need to.

he is a pass first run second guy, yet very dangerous in the open field...

on top of all this he plays even better in the big games, brady quinn on the other hand could no do any thing against osu, mich, and usc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALLOplBMHJs&mode=related&search=

and look at this bio form osu's web site he is 6'1

http://ohiostatebuckeyes.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/smith_troy00.html

also a video of all touchdowns thrown by him in 2006 (last 2 games not in it)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHpwEGom36U&mode=related&search=

23. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Buckeye fan hey?

Personally I think your right. Teams are going to be sorry for passing him but it's not my call. He's going to go 2nd round because of his size. Maybe he sneaks in late round 1 but I doubt it.

Colleges and High Schools never list you at your actual height. Texas listed Roy Williams at 6'4" and he measured in at 6'2" Drew Brees was listed fairly tall as well and came in at 6 foot.

24. sbp_387

sbp_387 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I am more of a buckeye maniac, I go to ohio state....

hehe

25. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Troy Smith is NOT under 6 foot, and you know it.Smith will also be a first round pick and be an excellent choice for the packers