Troy Aikman's Efficiency Ratings

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Troy Aikman's Efficiency ratings. Pack came out pretty good on the list.

4th on Offense, and 2nd on defense.

Twitlonger: Aikman Efficiency Ratings Through Week 13, 2009 Offense Aik NFL Team AER 1

"how he ranks teams are based on a lot more statistics that MATTER outside of just "yards per game" gained and allowed, offensively or defensively. It's a lot more telling of the story than just points per game scored/allowed. Nice system. Check it out.

Aikman Efficiency Ratings Formula
"The Aikman Efficiency Ratings measure offensive and defensive performance using a combination of seven key statistics identified by Troy, and then measured against league norms (and extremes) established over the last 10 years. An offense or defense performing exactly at league norms in all categories will achieve a score of 75. The better the offense or defense, the higher the score on either scale.

It will take a truly exceptional unit to score more than 90 during an entire season on either the offensive or defensive scale. Higher scores are possible in individual games.

In 2005, AER scores ranged on offense from 92.6 (Seattle) to 60.9 (San Francisco) and on defense from 89.3 (Chicago) to 61.1 (Houston). The seven categories measured are:

Adjusted Points (20%) -- Total Points Scored or Allowed minus Points on Returns and Safeties
Turnovers (20%)
Red Zone Efficiency (20%) -- Measured by Percent of Possible Points (see below)
Yards Per Play -- divided into Yards Per Rush (10% of total) and Yards Per Pass Play (10% of total). Yards Per Pass Play includes yards on plays involving sacks.
First Down Achievement -- divided into Total First Downs (10% of total) and 3rd Down Conversion Percentage (10% of total)
Percentage of Possible Points in the Red Zone is figured by taking the number of Red Zone Chances times 7, then dividing it by the number of Points Actually Scored (defined as TDs times 7 plus FGs times 3). "

OP
OP
Murgen

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Since this formula takes into account sacks. I wonder if GB would be ranked higher on offense assuming our sack total was less. I think the 3rd down conversion % is what skyrockets GB's offense up the chart.

OP
OP
Murgen

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I was reading an article from a Chicago area newspaper and they said Lovie Smith gauges his Defense based off the Tory Aikman Efficiency Ratings. Interesting.

OP
OP
Murgen

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
LOL, although I hate Dallas, and pretty much everybody on their SB teams of the 90s. Troy always was a pretty good guy. He's on the radio a lot down here in Dallas and he really comes across as unbiased. The dude is pretty insightful too on football matters. At least I usually learn something. He seems to compliment the Packers quite a bit which always surprises me.

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL, although I hate Dallas, and pretty much everybody on their SB teams of the 90s. Troy always was a pretty good guy. He's on the radio a lot down here in Dallas and he really comes across as unbiased. The dude is pretty insightful too on football matters. At least I usually learn something. He seems to compliment the Packers quite a bit which always surprises me.

WOW Troy and insightful in the same sentence lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts