Tromadz 2006 Mock Draft! Come one, come all!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tromadz 2006 Mock Draft

Biographies provided by scout.scout.com

(this draft is with the assumption that our team is pretty much as it is now, but we will pick up offensive guard help through free agency)

------------------------------------

1st Round – Mario Williams – DE

Ht: 6-7
Wt: 290

Scout.scout.com’s take: A first-team All-ACC performer last season while starting every game at defensive end ... Named the national preseason Defensive Player of the Year by Blue Ribbon College Football ... A first-team Sporting News preseason All-American, that publication lists him as the No. 2 defensive end in the country ... Has tallied 25 career tackles for loss in just two years, the ninth-best ever for a Wolfpack defender.

Tromadz take: There has been a lot of talk about weither to get Hawk or Mario Williams. Although we need help with the linebackers, that can easily be fixed through free agency, or guys stepping up (Lenon). Mario has expressed a desire to come to Green Bay and play for the Packers. That is always a positive. With KGB costing us too much money and not producing enough, and Kampman being a free agent, getting “Super Marioâ€

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Believe it or not: Before I read trom's post I accurately predicted that it would contain a slam on Ahmad Carroll. Am I psychic or what?

Anyway, I'm still leaning toward Hawk in the first round, though I seem to be increasingly in the minority on that one. And because I haven't given up on Carroll, and this team has spent so many picks on CB's in the last couple years, I would rather take an LB or a defensive lineman with that second round pick.

Normally I would not favor taking a guard in the second or third round, but considering the level of play we had at that position last season, maybe Thompson should consider picking up a guard with some real physical talent. Logan Mankins worked out pretty darn good for the Patriots last year, and they took him at the end of the first round. If a guard like that is available in the second or third round, he may be worth taking. I can't believe I'm writing this.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, shocker I would slam the worst player on the team(arguably in the league)

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a premier year for LB and G and you pick guys in positions we already have people. In round 2 to 4 we will take at least one guard and one linebacker if we don't take Hawk to begin with.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tromadz, you will get nothing but arguments with this post. Interesting stirring of the pot. You are assuming that your first round pick is still on the board when the Packers draft.

Free agency will change considerably what happens after round two. The CBA affect free agency. I think 2 weeks or so would be better to compare notes on mock drafts.

The conditions will change and your mock draft may change.

I think there is a lot of impatience to get the off season going.
Why don't we have a mock draft contest. Everyone work on it and present our thought on or before Aril 3rd. That way it can be adjusted for free agency developments.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack66, 20 sleeping pills

california cheez, i even said a lot of this would change. i guess that would mean you would have had to read it though. dont want you to hurt yourself.

and yeah, im the ONLY person who think we will be getting mario williams. right.

Reaction score
God 66, give it up. If you dislike Trom, then honestly is it to much to ask to IGNORE his posts?

As for the draft, hmm... that wouldn be a solid haul IMO. CB with a second... not sure but I won't get into the Carroll debate with you here, but what I do think is that TT will trade down at some point in order to get more picks. And if im not mistaken, you also forgot the Packers compensation pick (although to be fair, that could be anywhere in second day). Otherwise, props for providing the tidbits from scouts.com

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
trom might not know what he's talking about, but atleast he has the balls to throw a mock draft out there for us to view and in some cases, gripe

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
trom might not know what he's talking about, but atleast he has the balls to throw a mock draft out there for us to view and in some cases, gripe

thanks zero. . . . . . . . . . .

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good draft Trom I find it amusing watching you and Pack go after each other and find Pack 66 calling you Immature is even more fun. That being said looks good. I dont get scout .com so I dunno when it comes to researching the guys. But here is mine by position only.

1st round

DE I think the Pack has been without a true differance maker on the end spot since reggie left. We all take for granted how a good D-line can make the secondary look good.

2. Round

RB/LB Really depend on who is available. I really believe if Calhoun is there he will be picked up to many intangibles from a running and recieving stand point and he would be one of the biggest steals.

3rd

Safety Need a someone to compliment Collins I think Blue will be available

4th

WR KR/PR This is a huge need for the Pack I believe I remember howard how he was and what he did for the Pack

5th

OG I think there will be a diamond in the rough in this area. TT will again tap into a Wisconsin Product here

5th compensitory.
There will be a QB in hiding here I hope TT finds him.

While I dont completely share Troms assement of Carrol considering CB dont hit there stride until there 4th or 5th year I think that improved pass rush will help Carroll out tremendously.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tromadz,

spaceball and apple here. I was giving my reasons for not yet posting one of my own. I did not intend any slight. Only that I was not confident enough in my own to even post it. I was just saying that when you go out on a limb a lot of people will come out and say how wrong you are but will not post an alternative.

Myself, I would post one with weasel room like:

1st round- The first of these still on the board in this order. Williams, Ferguson, Hawk.
That way if Ferguson and Williams are gone I am right with the pick of Hawk.

Congratulations, on coming up with one this early and having the self confidence to post it. I'm having trouble with the second and 5th rounds.
Some apples and spaceballs aren't ready yet.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Pack and I agree with Trom sometimes. But thier fight have gotten a bit juvenile. I guess there are now three things people should not talk about Religion Politics and Packer football.

As far as football knowledge I dont tink anyone has the markey cornered here

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tromadz,
Looks as good as any to me. I'm not sure that they would go with Zemaitis over say Carpenter if he were still there in round 2. I know TT is a big believer in taking the best player so if Z is deemed that much better than one of the remaining LB's he might do it.

But boy we have a need for a couple of LB's and the draft is healthy there.

I do not believe that the staff is prepared to throw Carroll under the bus and think it would be a mistake after spending a #1 pick and two years of working with him. I do believe that he needs to show the fruits of his labor this coming season and after seeing improvement in the 2nd half of last year would expect that to be the case. CB's are a work in progress.

IMO the rules for CB's coming out of college require more adjusting to the NFL rules than any other postion and it will take any rookie CB time adapt accordingly.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with warhawk in that Zematis, in spite of being a heckuva player, is not the guy at 2. Providing they take Williams instead of Hawk, I see Abdul Hodge, Bobby Carpenter or Howard as the pick to fill the need at LB.

I like the safety pick, but think Underwood is going to be the young gun to partner with Collins...I figure they upgrade over Roman with him or a FA. I see a DT in the 3rd...a big-*** run stuffer to complement Cole and the more dynamic Jenkins/Williams.

Calhoun might fill the RB spot with the 2nd, but I like Norwood in the 4th.

Damn, speculation could go on forever on this draft...many needs and lots of prospects top to bottom in this draft class.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to present my own little packers mock draft:

1st round pick:

Mario Williams DE North Carolina 6'7" / 285 lbs

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He's just an outstanding athlete, and would fill our need of a good pass rusher at DE. I would like to have him and Kampman at DE, while probably trading KGB away. Williams could easily have been the #1 pick overall, if this was a less talented draft.

2nd round pick:

Darnell Bing SS USC 6'2" / 220 lbs

Immediate impact player on the two time national champions, plays hard and fast, makes big plays. Solid in run support and good ball-skills. But tends to become somewhat overaggressive. We need a good strong safety to play alongside Nick Collins, and Bing would be outstanding. As much as I would like to have Brian Calhoun, I believe this is a bigger need, and with McCarthy as headcoach I don't see us getting a small situational back, he likes big strong halfbacks, like i. e Lendale White.

3rd round pick:

Mark Setterstrom OG Minnesota 6'3" / 300 lbs

In our new offensive scheme we are going to need quick strong and mobile offensive linesmen, and this one is all that. In addition, one thing that sets me off with this guy is that he plays ******* every down through the whole game and never lets up. He's been part of the excellent Minnesota line, and I believe he could develop into a very solid linesman. The only downside is that he perhaps is a bit small and needs to work on his pass protection, but he plays hard and that is big. He is also VERY durable and hasn't missed a start in 4 years.

4th round pick

Brandon Williams WR Wisconsin 5'11" / 175 lbs

He has the athletic abillity to become an excellent wide receiver, one might question his size, but I feel he could become like Santana Moss or Steve Smith. He is quick and agile, but he needs some work on his hands. Would be a pretty good pick in the fourth round, though I hate that we might lose Murphy, because Murphy was one hell of a prospect.

5th round pick:

De'Arrius Howard RB Arkansas 6'0" / 236 lbs

A wild guess, he's a big durable back, just the way McCarthy likes it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we need to make some kind of trade to get another 2nd and/or 3rd round pick at least, and probably some late draft picks as well if we're to cover our needs, I think we need to draft Bobby Carpenter with a second second round draft pick. I would look for TT to set up some trade involving KGB, Ferguson and perhaps Walker.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was trying to post on one of the offseason threads but have had problems the last two days

1) DE Mario Williams, NC State
JW084's take: I think he's shifting to the more consensus first round pick for us, good to see

2) OLB Ernie Sims, Florida State
I think there are enough quality LB's for us to get a 1st-round caliber 'backer in the second round--I love Sims' ability, very quick, could start

3) CB Alan Zemaitis, Penn State
Trom, I like Zemaitis in the second round, but I like him in the 3rd round better--I've seen Zemaitis go anywhere from early second round all the way to not being drafted on the first day. I think somewhere around pick #68 we have a solid shot at getting him--I hope his ratings get better after the combine, because he deserves it, he was a pleasure to watch with solid CB size, but great instincts as well

4) OG-C Greg Eslinger, Minnesota
Nick Mangold also a possibility in the 3rd but there are too many good defensive players on the board first day. TT will prove once again that you don't need to pick o-lineman on the first day (Rivera--5th, Tauscher--7th, Wahle--7th(?))

4) FS Anthony Smith, Syracuse
(added pick because I think we get some kind of compensation for Marco Rivera)
...a decent prospect on a terrible team, not as high as he possibly should be rated. Our depth behind Roman-Collins is...Marviel Underwood

5) RB Gerald Riggs Jr., Tennessee
...More depth at RB, most likeley spells the end for Noah Herron...

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some good ideas but I don't like a RB in the 2nd. We need more defense, IMO. OL we can get in FA, if necessary. BTW, if memory serves, Wahle was taken in rd. 2 of the supplemental draft, so the following year we had no pick in the 2nd rd.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:
Some good ideas but I don't like a RB in the 2nd. We need more defense, IMO. OL we can get in FA, if necessary. BTW, if memory serves, Wahle was taken in rd. 2 of the supplemental draft, so the following year we had no pick in the 2nd rd.

Defense needs to be addressed early and often, I wouldn't mind seeing all three first day picks going to defense. Williams-Sims/Hodge/Howard-Zemaitis. We had 3 picks in the top 60 last year, I said the same thing. Unfortunately we didn't address our defense as much I wanted to, but fortunately we have a solid player to build around from that draft class in #36

Members online

Latest posts