Trevor Davis's Poor Decision Making Skills

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Did he act like a ****? did he think he was above the rules and regulations? I have not seen anything of that sort. Everything I read says the girlfriend went along with it. Nothing I read shows in any way that he was being anything but cooperative. I'm guessing even the most innocent of transgressions would take an hour to figure out and it it were anything more Resistance , acting like a **** etc.) than that it would have taken longer. If you could provide a link to reports of the contrary I would appreciate it. I've run about half a dozen google searches on various keywords and I come up with nothing newer than 3 days old with the same information. He made the comment, she said yes, he was detained for about and hour, booked and released on bail and he has a court appearance ion May.

I'm sure being a TSA agent is no dream job and most of them are trying their best to make a bad situation better. I also agree that the comment did not help matters and was certainly better left unsaid. I'm sure your opinions differ because of your occupation and I respect that but I think waty to much is being made of this. I would expect and certainly hope that all charges will be dropped and TD has learned his lesson.

I'm merely expressing my opinion based on a question I was asked and my experience of similar situations in my job, if you think it too much I'm sorry but as I wasn't there I wouldn't truly know. I have had 26 years experience of situations like this and I've dealt with our own UK sports stars who think rules are beneath them because of who they are. I BELIEVE he will probably get a slap on the wrist and a fine, I may be wrong. There are many American passengers who argue with us that our security measures are too strict and tell us that they don't do such and such in the U.S. etc. I suspect and stress suspect, he was advised of the laws and persisted joking around. As Poppa San said, Zero tolerance of a situation means just that.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can only hope. He's the second biggest cancer to our team next to Brett Hundley and if he is as Capt said the best returner we got, then Gute had better start stockpiling this team with WRs who can actually make returns because he's literally worse than Jeremy Ross was in 2013.
U know what’s funny is Ross turned out to be a good returner for the lions... lol everyone that leaves us does good haha
I miss rossum back there returning kicks he was probly the second best to our boy Howard if I rmbr correctly and he was a corner..

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
U know what’s funny is Ross turned out to be a good returner for the lions... lol everyone that leaves us does good haha
I miss rossum back there returning kicks he was probly the second best to our boy Howard if I rmbr correctly and he was a corner..

Well hell, Randall Cobb his first two years was tearin it up on kick and punt returns and I'd settle for that or another Will Blackmon even. Still watch that barrel roll one he did back in 2011 I believe it was when he took it the Packer record long 108 yards.

All that to say those guys are out there, our ST department needs to do a better job scoutin em, or fire Ron Zook even (the latter of which I'm leaning towards because I don't think he's an upgrade at all over Slocum.)

D

Deleted member 6794

Ross fumbled the ball way too often in Green Bay for the team to hold on to him.

All that to say those guys are out there, our ST department needs to do a better job scoutin em, or fire Ron Zook even (the latter of which I'm leaning towards because I don't think he's an upgrade at all over Slocum.)

Zook is definitely an improvement over Slocum but I agree that the special teams weren't elite by any means over the past two seasons.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ross fumbled the ball way too often in Green Bay for the team to hold on to him.

Zook is definitely an improvement over Slocum but I agree that the special teams weren't elite by any means over the past two seasons.

1. Yes, and while Davis hasn't done that per se, I get pretty aggravated when he decides he's going to try taking kicks out of the EZ about 8 yards deep which it seemed he tried to do too often this last year.

2. Make no mistake Slocum had to go and I'm glad he did, but I find Ron Zook to be very unsound in coaching fundamentals, and he oughtta have the heat turned up pretty hot on him this next year.

D

Deleted member 6794

1. Yes, and while Davis hasn't done that per se, I get pretty aggravated when he decides he's going to try taking kicks out of the EZ about 8 yards deep which it seemed he tried to do too often this last year.

2. Make no mistake Slocum had to go and I'm glad he did, but I find Ron Zook to be very unsound in coaching fundamentals, and he oughtta have the heat turned up pretty hot on him this next year.

I'm mostly disappointed in Davis deciding to fair catch too many punts with more than enough room to make a decent return.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting Zook has done an awesome job turning the special teams around but at least the units haven't had a lot of terrible plays hugely contributing to a loss.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zook is going nowhere anytime soon it took a defense ranking near the bottom of the nfl for many years to get capers canned, there was a immediate need for a scapegoat at the time of slocumbs release.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm mostly disappointed in Davis deciding to fair catch too many punts with more than enough room to make a decent return.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting Zook has done an awesome job turning the special teams around but at least the units haven't had a lot of terrible plays hugely contributing to a loss.

The only thing I can think of as far as the fair catch thing goes is that we have a different view of things. What looks like a lot of room to us may not look quite the same to the return man. Maybe his blockers aren't lined up right or his return lane is messed up or something. Yes I know that this is not a kickoff and the same rules don't necessarily apply but the return teams do have their jobs. Maybe he sees something early and by the time he realizes "Oh Crap I shouldn't have done that" its too late. If he calls for a FC and then tries to return it its a penalty. Maybe he thought they were trying for a return and the call was really for a block or something like that. Also, maybe something else has happened on the play that we don't know about, something blown in his eye, a twinge of pain etc. Sometimes I see the fair catch signal almost as soon as the ball clears the line of scrimmage and I think WTF but maybe it is something I don't know about. Without the returner giving a report for his FC after every one we will probably never know his reasons. I am certain that some, perhaps even most are simply poor judgement but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since I am not the one standing there defenseless with guys barreling at me full speed wanting to take my head off the second I touch the ball. If it happens to often then it needs to be addressed but I have watched enough football to know that even the best returners do it now and then.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of as far as the fair catch thing goes is that we have a different view of things. What looks like a lot of room to us may not look quite the same to the return man. Maybe his blockers aren't lined up right or his return lane is messed up or something. Yes I know that this is not a kickoff and the same rules don't necessarily apply but the return teams do have their jobs. Maybe he sees something early and by the time he realizes "Oh Crap I shouldn't have done that" its too late. If he calls for a FC and then tries to return it its a penalty. Maybe he thought they were trying for a return and the call was really for a block or something like that. Also, maybe something else has happened on the play that we don't know about, something blown in his eye, a twinge of pain etc. Sometimes I see the fair catch signal almost as soon as the ball clears the line of scrimmage and I think WTF but maybe it is something I don't know about. Without the returner giving a report for his FC after every one we will probably never know his reasons. I am certain that some, perhaps even most are simply poor judgement but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since I am not the one standing there defenseless with guys barreling at me full speed wanting to take my head off the second I touch the ball. If it happens to often then it needs to be addressed but I have watched enough football to know that even the best returners do it now and then.
I also wonder how often a player is instructed by the coach "call a fair catch, we don't want to burn any clock or we don't want to risk turning the ball over". All and all though, I still think Davis either needs to learn how to read the field better and make better decisions or be given the ability to make the decisions, if that is being taken away by a coach.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
IIRC this was his first season as a punt returner. He lobbied hard in the off season for it. If so, the "wrong" decisions were just part of the learning curve.
Or did I misremember and he's just incompetent?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
IIRC this was his first season as a punt returner. He lobbied hard in the off season for it. If so, the "wrong" decisions were just part of the learning curve.

He actually did some work as a returner his rookie year.

Punts: 9 returned 115 yards long:55 yards Average:12.8
Kickoffs: 3 64 26 21.3

I prefer him on punt returns, I don't think he is that special on kickoff returns. I actually hope he improves as a WR and he can be that 5th or 6th guy, while continuing to learn to make better decisions on punt returns.

H

HardRightEdge

Inconsistent would be one description. He made some nice returns in the punt game. What I didn't care for was how many balls he let hit the ground rather than coming up for the fair catch. Business decisions?

D

Deleted member 6794

The only thing I can think of as far as the fair catch thing goes is that we have a different view of things. What looks like a lot of room to us may not look quite the same to the return man.

There are definitely a lot of punt returners in the league capable of making better decisions on when to fair catch a ball thab Davis.

I actually hope he improves as a WR and he can be that 5th or 6th guy, while continuing to learn to make better decisions on punt returns.

I don't have a ton of hope that Davis will have a significant impact as a receiver anytime soon.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Davis is nice to have around because the FO doesnt have to treat PR skills as an absolute necessity in the draft. He’s capable enough that he will do fine if they don’t replace him. However, if they find a receiver or corner who provides more help on offense or defense with PR skills as good or better, it’s not a big deal to cut Davis in camp.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Davis has become the new "Jeff Janis" on the team. He could take up a roster spot as the #6 WR only because of his special teams skills. There are worse problems to have and I think he is probably marginally a better WR than Janis.

D

Deleted member 6794

I never said there weren't

True, but you implied that it's more difficult for punt returners to make decisions on when to fair catch a punt than most fans believe. I just wanted to point out that there are several players in the league being able to make it look pretty easy though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thought as much. They were making a point and chances are he'll never do it again, the idiot.
Agreed and I think more importantly, there was an unintentional benefit. The publicity of this might make people who saw the story, think twice about being an idiot at an airport.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davis is nice to have around because the FO doesnt have to treat PR skills as an absolute necessity in the draft. He’s capable enough that he will do fine if they don’t replace him. However, if they find a receiver or corner who provides more help on offense or defense with PR skills as good or better, it’s not a big deal to cut Davis in camp.

Im going to predict that all of these three WRs we just drafted are going to bounce Davis off the team. Even Gmo's job might be in jeopardy.

D

Deleted member 6794

Im going to predict that all of these three WRs we just drafted are going to bounce Davis off the team. Even Gmo's job might be in jeopardy.

I don't believe that all three rookies will pass Allison on the depth chart before the start of this season.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're definitely stronger than Davis and just as fast, if not even faster. I see Davis losing the return duties.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You never know when it comes to rookies making the final 53, especially at the WR position. It will all come down to how each one performs at practice and in the preseason, as well as what they can contribute on special teams. I would say a veteran like GMO and even Davis and Clark, have a leg up on the rookies with the amount of time they have spent in the Packer system. Remember last year, guys like Yancey, Dupre and McCaffery couldn't earn a spot, with guys like Janis and Davis being kept, mainly due to their work on special teams.

Whatever happens, may the best players come out on top, but I hope we don't have to keep 2 WR's on the roster simply because they are special teamers and not that great of wide receivers.

Members online

No members online now.