Trevor Davis traded to Oakland

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Ham sammich and a can of beans.

Let's hope we got 2 first rounders and Karl Joseph :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am guessing that this deal was on the table with a few teams prior to the final cut downs. Gute didn't find any takers at the time and decided to keep Davis. Davis once again proved his unreliability at making good decisions fielding punts on Sunday. Meanwhile the Raiders have 3 WR's on their injury report and one of them, Dwayne Harris is listed as a WR/RS. So who do they call?

Seems like 2 willing trade partners were created.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Some dude named Jerry McDonald who’s a beat writer in Oakland said it “looks like” the Raiders traded a 6th rounder.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still can’t get over Rapoport putting in his tweet that Davis is “one of the league’s top punt and kick returners”. :confused::eek:
when things lined up, he was pretty decent, but even in that last game. Real time I thought he should have fair caught that ball in front of us, instead ran away, let it hit and blocked a guy. They downed it near the goal line. So close the penalty didn't really matter as we were backed up anyway. What did it cost? a yard? but he still doesn't seem to make good decisions.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This leaves a spot on the roster. Since Greene was IR'd and Davis's apparent replacement for returns, Tremon Smith, took his spot.

Will they promote someone from the practice squad or grab another player from elsewhere?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
when things lined up, he was pretty decent, but even in that last game. Real time I thought he should have fair caught that ball in front of us, instead ran away, let it hit and blocked a guy. They downed it near the goal line. So close the penalty didn't really matter as we were backed up anyway. What did it cost? a yard? but he still doesn't seem to make good decisions.

There was also the one that he totally got creamed on, lucky he didn't fumble it. IMO, that was probably one of the worst non fair catch decisions he could have made. I would have to rewatch the game, but I think there was another one on the other end of the field where you and I were sitting, that he did fair catch and left some yards out there.

Needless to say, this isn't just due to bad decisions made in the Viking game, its something that seems to have plagued him since taking over the job.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am hoping it was a 7th or 6th conditionally to become a 5th. I love the move though even if just a 6th or 7th though. Get something for a guy not making it long term.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am guessing that this deal was on the table with a few teams prior to the final cut downs. Gute didn't find any takers at the time and decided to keep Davis. Davis once again proved his unreliability at making good decisions fielding punts on Sunday. Meanwhile the Raiders have 3 WR's on their injury report and one of them, Dwayne Harris is listed as a WR/RS. So who do they call?

Seems like 2 willing trade partners were created.

Too easy but I did read that Aykroyd, Hudson and Weaver will be back for the 2020 sequel. No word on Murray or Moranis yet.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I am hoping it was a 7th or 6th conditionally to become a 5th. I love the move though even if just a 6th or 7th though. Get something for a guy not making it long term.
One thing about Gute. He’s proven that he can, and will, turn trash into some sort of an asset.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I held my breath every time he was catching a punt. He had poor technique catching the ball and horrible decision making.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, I think this was a move to get Sheppard not only returning punts/kicks, but to get him the opportunity to work into the offense.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers have a young, up and coming defense that’s played at close to an elite level through two games, and an offense that is bound to start showing more consistent signs of legitimacy with more game reps. And we have Aaron Rodgers.

The LAST thing we needed was to continue holding on to a kick returner who proved to be scared sh!tless when another player got within 15 yards of him. Get someone in the return game who isn’t one: scared and two: has the slightest football IQ.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shepherd's job to lose now?

Agreed, I think this was a move to get Sheppard not only returning punts/kicks, but to get him the opportunity to work into the offense.

Actually, I think the job could be Tremon Smith who we signed after the Chiefs waived him. Granted he mostly was just on KR, with that speed(he's rumored to be faster than Hill) he may be worth a trot out there a few times. Shepherd may be the reserve initially.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So that's now a 7th for Gilbert, a swap for McCray (our 7th for their 6th?), and a 6th for Davis.

With the extra late round capital, Gute has some extra ammo for a modest acquisition at the deadline.

Maybe I'd be surprised, but at 32 and a pending UFA, I would guess that a 5th buys Manny Sanders (allowing that Denver nose dives).

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
So that's now a 7th for Gilbert, a swap for McCray (our 7th for their 6th?), and a 6th for Davis.

With the extra late round capital, Gute has some extra ammo for a modest acquisition at the deadline.

Maybe I'd be surprised, but at 32 and a pending UFA, I would guess that a 5th buys Manny Sanders (allowing that Denver nose dives).
Exactly. All the more reason to bury Denver this weekend. Sanders would be a pretty nice get.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think I want any more trades for any WRs until probably Week 6 vs the Lions or Week 7 at the Raiders. The first 5 games are against pretty good defenses as I've mentioned before with the first two games against division opponents. But the offense DID show signs of life however last week, so we could be just off to a slow start.

With Davis removed that makes the 4th WR....Kumerow? Or maybe Lazard/Shepherd? I could maybe see each WR getting a quarter as the WR4 and seeing what happens from there. I could even see Tonyan in the slot lined up against a much smaller CB(Tonyan is 6"5, avg NFL CB is 5"10.5). If one impresses, they may stick with that rotation down the stretch. If not, then I could possibly be open to a trade right before we visit Arrowhead but I'm not thrilled about our options out there.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Shepherd has yet to play and has been on the inactive list every week with a Hamstring injury. He was a limited participant at practice today, so I think we probably will see Tremon Smith until Shepherd is healthy. Possibly Tramon Williams or Alexander returning punts if they think Smith, who hasn't done much in the way of punt returns isn't ready.

Smith is an excellent gunner and as a rookie last season, ranked fourth in the NFL among qualified kick returns with a 26.8-yard average over 33 returns. He set up a touchdown against the New England Patriots with a 97-yard return, a career-high.

Not that NFL players seem to get a lot of chances at returning kickoffs, but if and when that time comes, I am excited to see Smith at work.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts