Tretter

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone think we were a little better on the line with Tretter in there? I think he is probably stronger than Linsley. Or was it just the Minihaha D and our desire?

D

Deleted member 6794

Anyone think we were a little better on the line with Tretter in there? I think he is probably stronger than Linsley. Or was it just the Minihaha D and our desire?

Tretter played really well replacing Linsley yesterday. With the Packers already playing on Thursday again it´s likely he´ll get a chance to start vs. the Bears and show what he´s capable of.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be willing to let him play a few weeks and find out. He was supposed to be the starter till he got injured and Linsley took over. If they get it going on the oline, leave him in. it wasn't working before.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If both are healthy, I think Linsley would be the stronger of the two and stouter vs. a bull rush but I'm not sure about that. Having two starter-quality OCs is a very good thing, and I think Walker is going to be a player too. Looking beyond this season the position on the OL that obviously needs upgrading is OT.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bahk could stand to be upgraded, Bulaga isn't going anywhere. But I wouldn't make it a 1st round or early round priority with TE and LB being far more pressing needs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bahk could stand to be upgraded, Bulaga isn't going anywhere. But I wouldn't make it a 1st round or early round priority with TE and LB being far more pressing needs.
i would be ok with the upgrade anywhere at those positions, as long as they felt they were getting the best one at the time.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers offense has struggled partly because of the offensive line struggling in pass protection and not open holes in the run game. An upgrade at left tackle should be a priority entering next offseason.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you are right Captain and others (about the future). I just don't understand talking about the draft at this point in time. We are in a super bowl hunt and we have what we have. For me, the only valuable talk is how we can improve now. And of course miscellaneous talk about NOW.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know you are right Captain and others (about the future). I just don't understand talking about the draft at this point in time. We are in a super bowl hunt and we have what we have. For me, the only valuable talk is how we can improve now. And of course miscellaneous talk about NOW.

Mostly agree with what you're saying, sometimes I can't help to comment on the draft even in mid-season though.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers offense has struggled partly because of the offensive line struggling in pass protection and not open holes in the run game. An upgrade at left tackle should be a priority entering next offseason.

This is the same exact personnel on the line that was a top 3 NFL line last year and that shouldn't be thrown to the side just because of a few rough weeks.

Surprised you would dispute the priorities as you've stressed the desperate team needs for an ILB and TE. Unless there just isn't anything close to good value at those positions in the 1st, I'd be pretty disappointed with an OT in the first who very possibly wouldn't immediately play over Bahk anyway.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Some can address both today and what it means for next year. In addition to the draft, there's the UFAs for TT to re-sign and probably other stuff that need not be suppressed until after the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is the same exact personnel on the line that was a top 3 NFL line last year and that shouldn't be thrown to the side just because of a few rough weeks.

Surprised you would dispute the priorities as you've stressed the desperate team needs for an ILB and TE. Unless there just isn't anything close to good value at those positions in the 1st, I'd be pretty disappointed with an OT in the first who very possibly wouldn't immediately play over Bahk anyway.

The offensive line was an excellent unit last season but Bakhtiari has never been anything more than a below average left tackle. There's no doubt the Packers are in need of upgrading the ILB and TE positions but that doesn't mean LT shouldn't be a priority either.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Linsley was a top five center last season who seems to be in a lump right now. Trettor did a great job filling in yesterday.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tretter was awesome. Goal number one for any backup center is to execute the exchanges. Seems simplistic but it's not. The second goal is to make the protection calls. He seemed to do that pretty well too. The third is to execute your blocks. He met all three goals. Hats off to a kid that has put in his time.

As for the "needs" discussion, both LT and RT should be priorities. Neither is a top priority but Bakhtiari will never be a stud and Bulaga will always have an injury. TT really needs to be thinking long term about protecting Aaron Rodgers as he ages and becomes less mobile.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
When I noted JC in and Linsley out, I rolled my eyes, shook my head and said here we go again. Then I was suprisingly impressed. I thought he did a great job. Will not jump on the bandwagon for a few more weeks, but it is nice to know we have some guys on the line that can come in and work.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta remember that OL is half physical and half mental. There's a reason why those guys are generally the smartest guys on the team. DL is all about brute force. OL is far more cerebral. Tretter is a high intelligence guy. He didn't make any mistakes yesterday and that's the biggest part of playing center.

Notso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read a couple of different times that Linsley is supposedly the strongest guy on the entire team and by no small margin. I believe he, like seemingly everyone else, has been "a little nicked up." It was awesome that the transition to Tretter went so seamlessly. When Rodgers was asked if he wanted a couple of warm-up snaps with Tretter he said "Nope. Don't need 'em."

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Let's face it, using a first round pick on an offensive Tackle isn't glamorous to anyone, especially if his last name is Mandarich or Sherrod. Unfortunately, it may become a necessity after this season. Bahk has spent all season trying to prove himself and Bulaga seems to not only be made of glass, but has shown even when healthy he isn't the player he once was. As much as we need a TE and ILB's, we need a running game and more importantly Tackles that AR can count on to protect him as well as give him time to do what he does best. Give him time and he can make even R Rodgers look decent. If the draft were today, I would be hoping to have a quality LT fall into our laps with our first pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

Let's face it, using a first round pick on an offensive Tackle isn't glamorous to anyone, especially if his last name is Mandarich or Sherrod. Unfortunately, it may become a necessity after this season. Bahk has spent all season trying to prove himself and Bulaga seems to not only be made of glass, but has shown even when healthy he isn't the player he once was. As much as we need a TE and ILB's, we need a running game and more importantly Tackles that AR can count on to protect him as well as give him time to do what he does best. Give him time and he can make even R Rodgers look decent. If the draft were today, I would be hoping to have a quality LT fall into our laps with our first pick.

I'm not convinced spending a first-round pick for a left tackle is a necessity but an upgrade at the position has to be one of Thompson's priorities next offseason.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough to get a first rate tackle unless you're picking in the top half dozen or so.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not convinced spending a first-round pick for a left tackle is a necessity but an upgrade at the position has to be one of Thompson's priorities next offseason.
At this point in the season, I am not "convinced" on our real needs either, but T, TE and ILB right now seem to be where TT will need to focus. O lineman is one area where I think TT would benefit dipping into FA, but he won't. I'm not necessarily saying first round on a Tackle, but if that is the BP on the board at the time of our pick and no ILB's or TE's then I won't be unhappy with the un-glamorous pick of an O-lineman.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Tough to get a first rate tackle unless you're picking in the top half dozen or so.
I'm not so sure about that. If Decker (OSU) or Conklin (MSU) are on the board when TT picks, I can see some serious thought on either of them. But much too early to talk draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This talk of the Tackle position reminded me of a guy that everyone was talking about, but wasn't draft eligible and the Cowboys ended up signing him last summer.... La'el Collins.

So I was curious as to how he was doing in Dallas and found this....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ntroduces-himself-to-two-seahawks-on-one-play

I say it probably too much, but my one knock on TT is he seems to only want to use the draft and develop policy and you miss out on guys like this in doing so. I know, rear view mirror vision and maybe TT went after La'el and he didn't want to play in GB.

Members online

Latest posts