Tretter

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT was never mentioned in regards to Collins, who by all reports looks to be a really good find.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I say it probably too much, but my one knock on TT is he seems to only want to use the draft and develop policy and you miss out on guys like this in doing so. I know, rear view mirror vision and maybe TT went after La'el and he didn't want to play in GB.
I don't think Thompson would be against signing a player like Collins - he was basically a UDFA, albeit a high profile one. Since he had his pick of teams, my guess is Collins was only considering a few teams and perhaps the Packers weren't one of them.

Regarding OL in the draft the "stud" OTs will be gone by the time the Packers pick in the first round, but what I'd like to see is them concentrating on OTs who are expected to play OT in the NFL. That may sound odd, but in the past the Packers have selected college OTs to play all OL positions. I was hoping Bakhtiari would be a Tauscher-like find (Tausch was picked in the 7th round of the 2000 draft) but that's looking less and less likely. Hey maybe Thompson can have his version of the 2000 draft: TE Bubba Franks in the first and LT Chad Clifton in the second (although they were picks 14 & 44).

D

Deleted member 6794

This talk of the Tackle position reminded me of a guy that everyone was talking about, but wasn't draft eligible and the Cowboys ended up signing him last summer.... La'el Collins.

So I was curious as to how he was doing in Dallas and found this....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ntroduces-himself-to-two-seahawks-on-one-play

I say it probably too much, but my one knock on TT is he seems to only want to use the draft and develop policy and you miss out on guys like this in doing so. I know, rear view mirror vision and maybe TT went after La'el and he didn't want to play in GB.

Actually the Packers could have drafted Collins but no team wanted to take a risk on a guy being questioned in a homicide. In addition his agents told the teams he wouldn't sign a contract if being drafted after the third round.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins pretty much had his pick of a team after the 3rd round as he wasn't going to sign if drafted at that point. I think it's fair to question why a prospect of his caliber wasn't worth the risk in the 3rd, but every GM in the NFL felt the same way.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it's fair to question why a prospect of his caliber wasn't worth the risk in the 3rd, but every GM in the NFL felt the same way.

I was surprised by that as well, especially as Louisiana authorities made it clear from the start that they didn't consider Collins a suspect in the shooting.

Members online

Latest posts