1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

***TRANSACTION: Packers claim OG Tony Palmer from St. Louis

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by recte44, Sep 3, 2006.

1. recte44

recte44 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

2. chibiabos

chibiabos Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Re: ***TRANSACTION: Packers claim OG Tony Palmer from St. Lo

:D Guess this should be the final proof that it's re-building time regardless of what MM says it is. OK! Let's go forth and kick some a**. Chicago look out!!

3. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    why, it said 6 teams wanted him on their practice squads. maybe we do too.

4. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I hope he can play. I like the pick up. Although I was looking for a veteran, I'll take anyone with talent.

5. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    6'2 330? Uhhhh, this guy obviously doesn't fit the scheme

6. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    what do you mean, pyle? You seen him play, and he's not athletic? Some big boys can move.

7. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

Too big?

Perhaps I'm ignorant on this, but what is the ideal size for the scheme?

6'2 280? Just guessing here.

I think for zone blocking they need more agile quick guys then big jumbo guys like Will Whitticker.

8. billv

billv Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    OVERVIEW

The stout left offensive guard has been a major reason that the Tigers have had so much offensive success the last three seasons. He is literally a pancake-making factory, averaging 8.39 knockdown blocks per game during his last two years. One of the most powerful blockers in the collegiate ranks, he wowed pro scout when he bench pressed 225 pounds 41 times recently.

After redshirting in 2001 at Missouri, Tony earned fourth-team Freshman All-American honors in 2002, ranking second on the team in blocking consistency while starting nine games. He added All-Big Twelve Conference honorable mention in 2003, helping the Tigers rank sixth in the nation with 3,089 yards rushing.

Palmer showed his pass blocking skills in 2004, as the team went back to an aerial attack. He was a second-team All-Big Twelve choice, compiling 91 knockdowns as the team averaged over 207 yards per game passing. He was a first-team All-Big Twelve pick while serving as team captain as a senior. Despite playing in an offense that featured constant scrambling by QB Brad Smith, Palmer did not allow a sack on 981 plays. He finished his career by starting his final 42 games.

ANALYSIS
    Tough and physical blocker who is best served staying stationed at the line of scrimmage, where he excels at creating a new line for the running game… Has a powerful anchor and can easily hold the point vs. a strong bull rush…Classic fist fighter who relies on his initial punch to shock and jolt…Focused and competitive blocker who is capable of calling blocking assignments and could shift to center at the next level to take advantage of his hand punch and ability to anchor.

When Palmer gets his hands on the defender, he can separate with his long arms. He plays with good awareness and can see the twist, doing a very good job of picking it up.
    As a run blocker, he shows good short area pop and explosion, He works to stay in front of the defender and is consistent to lock on and sustain.

Bio courtesy of NFLDraftScout.com

9. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I don't know but this seems odd. "Best suited staying stationed atthe lineof scrimmage".......WTF???

If you wanted a big guy, there were much better ones available for the last 4 months. Oh well at least we have 52 people on our roster now.

10. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I'd say 315 is the heaviest you want in the scheme for a guard. Maybe a little more but not to much. He must be a very athletic to workout in the scheme. Perhaps they think of him as a tackle so Coston can work full time at Guard. Frankly I don't like the move. I think there was better talent out there but at least it's somebody. I still believe we need to pick a WR up. If we don’t I’ll be very disappointed.

11. rob836

rob836 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Packers | T. Palmer claimed off waivers
    Sun, 3 Sep 2006 14:49:34 -0700

The Green Bay Packers announced they have claimed OG Tony Palmer off waivers from the St. Louis Rams.

Packers | Horton released
    Sun, 3 Sep 2006 14:38:56 -0700

The Green Bay Packers announced they have released CB Jason Horton.

Packers | J. Bush claimed off waivers
    Sun, 3 Sep 2006 14:38:11 -0700

The Green Bay Packers announced they have claimed CB Jarrett Bush off waivers from the Carolina Panthers.

Packers | Peprah claimed off waivers
    Sun, 3 Sep 2006 14:37:38 -0700

The Green Bay Packers announced they have claimed S Charlie Peprah off waivers from the New York Giants

12. rob836

rob836 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  13. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    yay, an undrafted free agent CB

Undrafted Free Agent CB > Ahmad Carroll
    (probably)

14. rob836

rob836 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the press release on the active roster changes.
    press release

15. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't want to be negative but is it's hard to get to excited on a guy just cause other teams wanted him on their practice squad but maybe he's a project which won't help us out much this year. At least they're trying

16. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Man I'm not liking the fact we only have 4 WR's. Did they not learn from last year? Walker went down and we were down to 3 or 4. Then another guy went down and it was to late to find anyone. This definitely is a bad move in my opinion by Thompson. Out of the entire off season this might be my least favorite move. Keeping an extra TE over WR.

17. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    we can still cut someone

those three we brought in ... who knows maybe one is more important than someone that was kept previously and will soon be cut

18. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Without an injury to Dotson, Tauscher more than likely wouldn't have made onto the 1st team in 2000. As a 7th round pick himself he didn't really standout in his rookie training camp.

I am not saying Palmer is Tauscher but he could develop into a solid player. Then again be could be a waste of a roster position. Time will tell.

19. Drich318

Drich318 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

who????? This is TT big move? What is going on here. Let's try and get some big names, like Charles Rogers.

20. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Porky that he sounds more like a tackle than a guard, at least in this offense. The description doesn't make him sound like the kind of quick lineman that fits this scheme. It's a questionable move.

21. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

It's obvious that we need depth on the OL but a 7th round rookie headed for the practice squad wasn't what I had in mind.
    Perhaps we are moving away from that cluster**** zone blocking scheme.

22. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Well, I sure hope not. That would be worse than Bob Slowik's defense abandoning the blitz after one loss a couple years ago. An Atlanta fan who visited this site during the preseason said that when the Falcons first adopted this scheme the running game was terrible in the preseason and for about the first four games of the season, to the point where some fans thought Warrick Dunn should be benched. But then they got it going and ended up leading the league in rushing. So it's way too early to abandon the zone blocking scheme.

23. Anubis

Anubis Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

You have a point. However, I doubt Atlanta filled their line with rookies and 7th rounders headed for the practice squad.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

24. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

True. With two rookie guards, it will probably take longer than it took Atlanta to get the running game going. And we don't have Warrick Dunn or Michael Vick, either. We will need to be patient and hope this change in offensive strategy eventually pays off.