Tramon Williams is coming back to Green Bay

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While every team wants to win it each year, I think there is a big danger with going all in with FA's and thinking it is going to all come together immediately. The Packers have a new GM and DC and I can't imagine that the organization isn't thinking well beyond this year. Not to mention, they have the key piece in place, Aaron Rodgers. As long as he is playing at a high level, the Packers will stay relevant. As bad as they looked with Hundley at QB, I think they are a lot closer to fielding a top 5 team than some think.
While every team wants to win it each year, I think there is a big danger with going all in with FA's and thinking it is going to all come together immediately. The Packers have a new GM and DC and I can't imagine that the organization isn't thinking well beyond this year. Not to mention, they have the key piece in place, Aaron Rodgers. As long as he is playing at a high level, the Packers will stay relevant. As bad as they looked with Hundley at QB, I think they are a lot closer to fielding a top 5 team than some think.

As bad as they looked with Hundley at QB, I think they are a lot closer to fielding a top 5 team than some think.

Couldn’t agree more. I think we’ll be just fine with a new DC. I like the way Gutekunst is getting the roster together. Need some more speed guys in the draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would get people not being happy had House been resigned before Free Agency and probably at a lot more money than what the Packers just got him for. But this was probably the case of letting him walk, while both House and the Packers shopped around. The Packers seeing that their options were dwindling and not quite comfortable with the idea of Herb Waters, Lenzy Pipkins, Josh Hawkins and Donatello Brown being their only current options after King and Williams, opened the negotiations back up with House. This probably won't end up being a move that gets them to the Super Bowl, but a move that at least temporarily strengthens a paper thin position.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As bad as they looked with Hundley at QB, I think they are a lot closer to fielding a top 5 team than some think.

Couldn’t agree more. I think we’ll be just fine with a new DC. I like the way Gutekunst is getting the roster together. Need some more speed guys in the draft.

Right now, this isn't even a top 5 team in their conference, or even best in their division.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Right now, this isn't even a top 5 team in their conference, or even best in their division.

He was quoting me ;)

and I did say they were a lot closer to fielding a top 5 team than some think....I did not say that they are a top 5 team. Of course it is only April and right now, every team is undefeated. :D

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Don't understand some of the negative reaction to the House signing. Hell, the guy might not even make the final 53. Definitely doesn't hurt though to have a veteran body. Many have been complaining about the lack of quality depth on the roster, well House is a veteran corner who's been there before. I'm cool with it. If he shows he's still got something left, he'll be a good guy to have as insurance.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't understand some of the negative reaction to the House signing. Hell, the guy might not even make the final 53. Definitely doesn't hurt though to have a veteran body. Many have been complaining about the lack of quality depth on the roster, well House is a veteran corner who's been there before. I'm cool with it. If he shows he's still got something left, he'll be a good guy to have as insurance.

Then why bother with better options out there. This is a lazy signing.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Then why bother with better options out there. This is a lazy signing.
Actually, I would say the opposite. To me, lazy would be doing nothing and thinking that your UDFA's and guys who haven't seen much playing time at all are going to step up and get the job done. The Packers saw way too much of that from TT and I think by mid season, we too often saw why it isn't a good idea to have too much inexperienced depth.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree in a way, PB2000. This is a TT signing; it's treading water. Too early to pass judgement on Gute and co., but this move is a dissapointment.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Nahhhh.....TT would have signed House early in Free Agency for like $2.8M and decided doing such filled the need for a starter. This was nothing more than Gute deciding the position needed more experienced depth.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to be a pain, my friend, but there was better depth to be had in multiple other players rather than going with same old same old.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not to be a pain, my friend, but there was better depth to be had in multiple other players rather than going with same old same old.

"Was" being the operative word. While there are still a few better players out there, I don't see any of them rushing to GB to sign a contract or GB rushing to sign them. Gute did make some attempts to sign better players, but for now, House is the next CB on the depth chart. Obviously, the contract will make or break this deal for a lot of fans, so kind of have to wait and see on that. But I doubt the money will preclude the Packers from considering or signing someone else as well.

My question to you would be, what CB's currently on the Packer roster are better than House? King and Williams are the only 2 I can come up with and that isn't saying much..

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have no idea if that is true... We have no idea what negotiations took place behind the scenes... Just because you see someone out there that you want does not mean that they are willing to sign with the Packers or for a price that is right for the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Pack could still add Breeland. Add in another high pick and you have a CB group of Breeland, King, Williams, Draft Pick, and 2 or 3 from Rollins, House, Waters, Hawkins, Pipkins, Goodson. I'd actually dare to say such a group would have potential to be good this year.

That group definitely wouldn't be elite by any means but could at least be serviceable.

If Denzel Ward falls into their lap at #14, fine and dandy. If he is gone by that time, as I suspect he will be, there is no need to reach for a corner who might be only marginally better than the one yo could get at #45. Edge rusher, offensive line, and wide receiver are among the Packer's needs, so take the best of what's still on the board in round one. My two cents.

It's always a bad idea to reach for a prospect solely based on need. Therefore positions in dire need of an upgrade should be addressed in free agency. Unfortunately the Packers adding House doesn't cut it for me at cornerback.

Like Curly said, now we're not in a position to have to take the best available DB at 14, who might not be any better than a guy we can get in the 3rd talent wise (potential). I'm sure they're still looking to address the DB position. None of these guys are long term solutions, but they can provide enough value in the meantime. It gives this team flexibility for the rest of FA and the draft and still provides a decent level of play if he's the guy pressed into action.

In my opinion the Packers adding House doesn't change the fact that they still need to improve the talent level at cornerback.

How would you compare House to Breeland? I was sort of hoping the Packers would go after him.

Breeland is a significantly better cornerback than House.

House wouldn't have been my preferred choice either, but maybe he was the Packers only choice at this point.

You bring up some valid points but I highly doubt that signing House was the Packers only option.

Who says he was ? Lol

Well, the Packers signed House so .....

The Packers are definitely a top five team in the NFC as long as Rodgers is healthy.

Fans react negative to the Packers signing House because there would have been better options still available in free agency who might not have asked for more money than him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Which proves that... .... The Packers signed House lol. Assuming that he was their preferred choice is just an assumption.

Well, if House wasn't the Packers preferred option at this point why should the team have signed him???

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Without knowing everything that Gute and the Packers are doing behind the scenes, this is just a guessing game as to what they have or haven't done in regards to CB's. The only thing we know for sure:
  1. They attempted to sign Fuller
  2. They claim to have been in conversation with some of the top FA CB's
  3. They signed Williams and now House
Maybe they have eliminated everyone that they feel is a better fit in GB or those prospects have eliminated themselves from the Packers. Maybe the search continues or they sit pat until after the draft. All are "maybes" that we don't know.

I still contend, depending on the contract, the House signing was nothing more than insurance that they at least have some veteran depth at a very weak position and for now, House was a willing option.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers cut 2nd year linebacker David Talley to make room for House.

With the Packers currently having only 56 players on the active roster with 90 currently allowed they didn't have to release Talley to make room for House on it.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if House wasn't the Packers preferred option at this point why should the team have signed him???
Stop being intentionally obtuse. You know that it is possible that their preferred choice whomever that might have been did not work out, and that they may have settled for House.

D

Deleted member 6794

Stop being intentionally obtuse. You know that it is possible that their preferred choice whomever that might have been did not work out, and that they may have settled for House.

Whatever, the only thing that matters is that the Packers signed House over other possible option for whatever reasons. I'm not excited about it by any means.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
This deal does not hinder the Packers ability to sign or acquire another cornerback better than House. This is an insurance pickup. If some believe that signing House means that the Packers aren't continuing to look to upgrade the cornerback position then I don't know what to say.

BGK has made it clear that the Packers have been in every conversation regarding cornerbacks. Again, I have absolutely no idea why some are making more of this than what it is.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Whatever, the only thing that matters is that the Packers signed House over other possible option for whatever reasons. I'm not excited about it by any means.
I'm not that excited about it either, but what it tells me is that Gute would rather have a veteran backup on the team than an unproven carryover UDFA. That part actually does excite me.

D

Deleted member 6794

This deal does not hinder the Packers ability to sign or acquire another cornerback better than House. This is an insurance pickup. If some believe that signing House means that the Packers aren't continuing to look to upgrade the cornerback position then I don't know what to say.

As I've said repeatedly it doesn't make sense to analyze the Packers offseason at least until after the draft. It might be even smarter to wait for the start of the season.

I would be disappointed if the team ends up adding only Williams as a veteran cornerback over a group that finished 31st in passer rating allowed while trading away Randall though.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not that excited about it either, but what it tells me is that Gute would rather have a veteran backup on the team than an unproven carryover UDFA. That part actually does excite me.

I agree with that part as well but once again there were better options available than House to achieve that.

Latest posts