Tramon Williams is coming back to Green Bay

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the odds of him making it on the team are small. Achilles tears aren't an easy come back. But he played well his rookie season. According to fans, according to the team, and according to most 3rd party sites like PFF, Rollins looked to be heading towards good things. Then injuries the next year, groin surgery and then the torn achilles before he even got started again. I would say injuries have kept him back more than anything. he hasn't played a healthy down since his rookie season practically when people had things like this to say about him,

The outcome wasn't great, but I don't think taking injury plagued season and one where an entire season was lost to injury before a single snap of the regular season and calling it a swing and a miss is really accurate.

58% passer rating fourth best in the NFL!?!? On the 3 plays he played all year... ROLLINS ISLAND Smh lol

D

Deleted member 6794

Saw this coming a mile away. Definitely makes sense considering the state of the position at the moment. House is another Vet body, that has to be viewed as an upgrade over quite a few guys currently on the roster as CB's.

It definitely made sense to sign a veteran cornerback to add depth to a position in need of an upgrade but House shouldn't have been the Packers preferred choice.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pack could still add Breeland. Add in another high pick and you have a CB group of Breeland, King, Williams, Draft Pick, and 2 or 3 from Rollins, House, Waters, Hawkins, Pipkins, Goodson. I'd actually dare to say such a group would have potential to be good this year.

I dont mind this acquisition as long as it has not made the Pack decide to abort the pursuit of Breeland. That being said I think signing Breeland became much more unlikely now. They will probably use their extra cap space to get Arod to sign. At least the move took a lot of pressure of drafting a CB with #14.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What it means:

The Green Bay Packers are reportedly expected to sign veteran cornerback Davon House to yet another one-year contract with the Packers, according to Rob Demovsky of ESPN.

While by no means a long-term solution, the latest acquisition lifts one important burden off of general manager Brian Gutekunst’s chest: The Packers will now have the freedom to take the best available player regardless of position at No. 14.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...ath-to-taking-best-available-player-in-draft/

I agree. If Denzel Ward falls into their lap at #14, fine and dandy. If he is gone by that time, as I suspect he will be, there is no need to reach for a corner who might be only marginally better than the one yo could get at #45. Edge rusher, offensive line, and wide receiver are among the Packer's needs, so take the best of what's still on the board in round one. My two cents.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right. No need to go after a top player to address a major weakness now, because we have Davon House.
Think about that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right. No need to go after a top player to address a major weakness now, because we have Davon House.
Think about that.
I think it's more along the lines of, if our guy is there, we're taking him, if not, we have some guys that can play. It prevents us from taking a guy because we "need" him like a Jaamal Reynolds, who was the best available at the position at the time, but hardly a guy worth taking at that spot. I'm sure everyone from the front office on down would love to get a great talent at DB yesterday even. Like Curly said, now we're not in a position to have to take the best available DB at 14, who might not be any better than a guy we can get in the 3rd talent wise (potential). I'm sure they're still looking to address the DB position. None of these guys are long term solutions, but they can provide enough value in the meantime. It gives this team flexibility for the rest of FA and the draft and still provides a decent level of play if he's the guy pressed into action.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think about that.

No one declared having House fixed the secondary. It does mean, however, that the Pack can focus on any one of their several pressing needs at #14 rather than being married to just one of them. Try again.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one declared having House fixed the secondary. It does mean, however, that the Pack can focus on any one of their several pressing needs at #14 rather than being married to just one of them. Try again.

Which has been an option all along. This is a give up move; lets talk about being aggressive, but we'll settle for getting the band back together. Breeland, Breaux and DRC, among other possibilties, are still out there. But settle on a lesser player why? Because he's been here before? I'd wager there are at least 50 better CB's in the league than House. Think there's any more serious consideration on going after the above names or anyone else now?
Curly, they were always free to go after anyone at 14; signing (again) an inconsistant, limited and lesser player is what makes that possible now? I'd also note that- at least I- have not read or heard of any interest at all in House from the other 31 teams. I wonder why?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
58% passer rating fourth best in the NFL!?!? On the 3 plays he played all year... ROLLINS ISLAND Smh lol
He had 4 starts and played in 14 games his rookie season, so probably more than 3 plays. Probably at least 10x's that number. I'm not claiming he was Sam Shields, but I wish people would have a better recollection of what their rookie seasons were like.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It definitely made sense to sign a veteran cornerback to add depth to a position in need of an upgrade but House shouldn't have been the Packers preferred choice.
House wouldn't have been my preferred choice either, but maybe he was the Packers only choice at this point. I think some of us would like to think the Packers could and should sign every "better" FA out there, but I am guessing there are reasons why those signings, that many of us think should be happening, aren't. Just to name a few reasons:
  • Packers have no interest in the player
  • Player has no interest in Packers
  • Price
  • Injuries
  • Scheme fit

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
House wouldn't have been my preferred choice either, but maybe he was the Packers only choice at this point. I think some of us would like to think the Packers could and should sign every "better" FA out there, but I am guessing there are reasons why those signings, that many of us think should be happening, aren't. Just to name a few reasons:
  • Packers have no interest in the player
  • Player has no interest in Packers
  • Price
  • Injuries
  • Scheme fit

All good and valid points.
Yet, isn't it funny that the truly aggressive teams, like the Eagles, Pats and Rams, find a way to get it done? And the Eagles with considerably less cap space.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet, isn't it funny that the truly aggressive teams, like the Eagles, Pats and Rams, find a way to get it done? And the Eagles with considerably less cap space.
It does feel like a multi-year plan to fix the roster, rather than making moves which would field the best team possibly next year. But it's still early in the off-season. We need more quality/depth/experience at CB, as well as WR. Just some sort of playmaker on either side other than Rodgers. Many positions need to be addressed, but these will need to be taken care of immediately.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Right, but out of those 3 teams, the Pats are the only ones who have consistently done it well. The Eagles have turned their organization around and the Rams look like they are headed in the right direction, but see how it plays out in the next 5 years.

I'm just thankful for the salary cap and revenue sharing. I can't imagine the Packer organization lasting very long if they were forced to operate under the structure that Major League Baseball does, there would be no way to compete with the big market teams.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
House being brought in to camp doesn't necessarily meant that they still wouldn't sign Breeland/Breaux if and when they're healthy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It does feel like a multi-year plan to fix the roster, rather than making moves which would field the best team possibly next year. But it's still early in the off-season. We need more quality/depth/experience at CB, as well as WR. Just some sort of playmaker on either side other than Rodgers. Many positions need to be addressed, but these will need to be taken care of immediately.

I agree and I have to wonder had the Packers landed Fuller or one of the top CB's in Free Agency, which player(s) would no longer be with us (Cobb) and how that would affect the team moving forward in regards to the cap and signing of depth guys like Williams and House. Overloading on one player can pay big dividends, but it can also bite you in the ***.

It's probably wishful thinking on my part, but maybe the Packers mindset on defense right now is that Pettine will run a better system and get more out of the current players. If they can improve on the pass rush, that improves the rest of the defense and takes some pressure off of the CB's.

I am looking forward to 2019 when we will be out from underneath Cobb and Mathews contracts, but I am sure the discussion will shift to Perry or Adams or whoever else appears to be overpaid.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
House being brought in to camp doesn't necessarily meant that they still wouldn't sign Breeland/Breaux if and when they're healthy.

I agree and if the Packers signed someone like Breeland or Breaux, along with using a top 3 pick on a rookie CB, I would actually have a lot more confidence in what the secondary will be able to do in 2018 under Pettine. That level of confidence goes even higher if they see improvement from their pass rush.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, but out of those 3 teams, the Pats are the only ones who have consistently done it well. The Eagles have turned their organization around and the Rams look like they are headed in the right direction, but see how it plays out in the next 5 years.

I'm just thankful for the salary cap and revenue sharing. I can't imagine the Packer organization lasting very long if they were forced to operate under the structure that Major League Baseball does, there would be no way to compete with the big market teams.

Without the cap and revenue sharing, we'd have been gone a long time ago.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree; seems like it's coming down to the debate HRE and others had recently. Is it 'go for it now', or a 2 year mini rebuild?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree; seems like it's coming down to the debate HRE and others had recently. Is it 'go for it now', or a 2 year mini rebuild?

While every team wants to win it each year, I think there is a big danger with going all in with FA's and thinking it is going to all come together immediately. The Packers have a new GM and DC and I can't imagine that the organization isn't thinking well beyond this year. Not to mention, they have the key piece in place, Aaron Rodgers. As long as he is playing at a high level, the Packers will stay relevant. As bad as they looked with Hundley at QB, I think they are a lot closer to fielding a top 5 team than some think.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think about that.

LOL, a guy no other team wanted. Not only that, but House couldn't even get his own thread. His thread was merged into the Tramon Williams thread.

Members online

Latest posts