Training Camp... Who will you be watching?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CWood2015.

Pickett is probably the reason Daniels and Muir were brought in, He is getting up there, and Raji needs a new back-up. Pickett is one of those 2014 guys.

"Burnett, Mathews, Bulaga" All still on first contract, of course they're cheap. They're not underpaid, they're under CONTRACT. There is a huge difference.

Oh believe me I agree so much with the last part of your comment, people just forget that for every Pickett or Hawk that we all say we're overpaying we have some real deals out there too! I foresee Bulaga and Mathews going no where, but to me I see Burnett having to keep steady at minimum to be worth re-signing (afterall TT is so good at bringing in young talent).

You hammered the nail into the coffin on Pickett...love the dude but not getting any younger at all, and Daniels and Muir were both worth it and needed!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Oh believe me I agree so much with the last part of your comment, people just forget that for every Pickett or Hawk that we all say we're overpaying we have some real deals out there too! I foresee Bulaga and Mathews going no where, but to me I see Burnett having to keep steady at minimum to be worth re-signing (afterall TT is so good at bringing in young talent).

You hammered the nail into the coffin on Pickett...love the dude but not getting any younger at all, and Daniels and Muir were both worth it and needed!
I don't see those players under contract as "deals" unless they were low round picks or UDFA, and we have a few of them.
I don't see Muir or Daniels cutting it personally. I wanna get the NT from UGA next year or the other guy from Memphis

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying their contracts are necessarily deals (they are initial contracts)...but you gotta admit for what we're paying them we're getting plenty and then some.

I like the Daniels and Muir picks...do I see them both wearing the G in 3 years...no. I do though see one sticking for some reason, and I'm with you on the NT from UGA (can you say beast?).

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'll give you that, and Daniels will probably be the one who sticks (he'll be mainly used in our nickle/dime packages)

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Training Camp!!! What will be your area of focus ? The Offence, the Defense, the Special Teams, or something else ?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Defense will be the area to watch, but my focus will be the offensive line. I still hope some of the rookies shine enough to spot in (Tommie Draheim)

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Don't miss your chance. State your case. Time is short. Training Camp is just around the corner. Who will you be watching ?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Daniels will earn rave reviews, as long as he stays healthy..... let's cross our fingers that he's more durable like Raji has been, and not a Harrell, Neal.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Training camp = football is finally here. There are plenty of talkers heading into this training camp. I discussed several players development and key training camp battles to monitor during training camp here: http://wp.me/p29VCs-98

But, to answer your question, I am most looking forward to seeing D.J. Smith v. Hawk. This has been discussed in another post. But, I truly think that this battle could be a riveting one. Smith plays with an aggression similar to Bishop. And at this point, we all know what we are getting in Hawk. Smith has more potential and needs to be on the field to develop.

I'm also curious to see how two seeming afterthoughts to many observers - Mike Neal and Davon House - respond to fresh faces coming in to take their spots. I may be holding out hope too long on Neal, but he seems to have talent. And House appeared to have something before getting injured last season.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if you have to edit some of these tweets/blog entries, but I will post them and let you see fit with them.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Monday-GOOD
Sometimes you wonder if the Packers' decision to keep WR Donald Driver around was purely sentimental. Maybe they didn't want to cut ties with a guy who has meant so much to the improved locker room culture for reasons other than football. Maybe they figured they would bring Driver to camp and let him figure out the game has passed him by. They would let him go out on his terms. Early on, Driver wasn't sharp and he seemed more like an entertainer than football player. But then he put a double-move on CB Sam Shields and spun him completely around. Then Monday in one-on-one drills, he ran a corner route against CB Tramon Williams for a sizable gain. And finally, he ran a bit of a stutter that rookie CB Casey Hayward read as a pass over the middle. Before Hayward had planted his foot forward, Driver was running down the middle of the field wide open. QB Aaron Rodgers has a lot of options and sometimes Driver isn't the best one. But it looks like the old man still has moves. You can't take that away from him.
Monday-BAD
Rookie DL Jerel Worthy did not have a good day. He messed up an assignment in an 11-on-11 drill that led to a hole in the defense, and he did almost nothing in the one-on-one pass-rush drills, getting stymied by OG T.J. Lang on one rush and rookie free-agent OG Tommie Draheim on another. Then, in a red zone drill, Worthy jumped offside. Worthy is an emotional player and sometimes when things don't go right, he has trouble turning the page. There's no question he has a lot of talent and energy. But unless that energy is harnessed, he's not going to be much use to the Packers. He currently is running with the No. 1 dime unit, manning the middle with B.J. Raji, which means he has a golden opportunity to earn a lot of playing time. But he also has competition from rookie Mike Daniels, who keeps showing more and more. Worthy is definitely a work in progress.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TUESDAY, JULY 31 Practice Notes from Green Bay & Twitter:

-Out for Packers-today: Zombo, Bishop, Kuhn, Lair, McCabe, Brooks, Jennings, Quarless. Not seeing any surprises today.

-Davon House getting snaps with number 1 base D in place of Bush. House had strong practice yesterday.

-James Jones with bad drop near goal line in 'game situation' phase of practice.

-J-Mike is back in action.

Nick Collins‏ @nickthepick36
But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. http://bible.us/Matt6.33.ESV

9:30 Update

Mike Vandermause‏ @MikeVandermause
Anthony Hargrove is a ball of energy. He is high fiving everyone on sidelines. No such thing as dog days of camp for him.

Jason Wilde‏ @jasonjwilde
#Packers CB Davon House is movin' on up. He is in right now with the No. 1 nickel defense in 11-on-11 instead of Jarrett Bush.

@MikeVandermause
I still haven't seen DJ Williams drop a pass. He has caught everything thrown his way.

Brian Carriveau‏ @BrianCarriveau
Interesting thing with Lawrence Guy is how he benefits from the early season suspensions to Hargrove, Neal. Could make roster.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN Seifert from Packers camp yesterday:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/44233/camptour12-packers-day-1
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- A few thoughts and observations after my first day with the Green Bay Packers:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

• The Packers went at it hard Monday morning: Nearly three hours in full pads in temperatures that quickly approached the high 80s. In case you're wondering, that isn't exactly standard in the NFL. Center Jeff Saturday, who played 13 seasons for the Indianapolis Colts, said: "In Indy, it was a much quicker on-and-off-the-field type tempo. You start earlier, you go through a lot more individual-type work. They go through a lot more fundamentals here, staying on top of that. It's the way they've won and you just fit in and do what you've got to do."
  • Monday was a red zone emphasis, and the Packers also worked on their two-minute drill. Plenty of action occurred, but what stood out to me was how many times cornerback Davon House showed up. He had a nice anticipatory interception of quarterback B.J. Coleman and also knocked away a pass intended for Tori Gurley in the end zone. I realize those plays came against players not expected to be front-line starters this season, but I can only tell you what I saw. Jarrett Bush continued to work with the first team at cornerback, and there are a number of other players competing for that job from Sam Shields to rookie Casey Hayward. But don't rule out House, who has held his own all camp and got some action in the dime defense Monday.
  • Receiver Greg Jennings (elbow) sat out practice, giving us an extended amount of time to watch receiver Randall Cobb in action. All I can say is that Cobb looks like a playmaker every time I see him, and I can't see how the Packers can avoid putting him in an elevated role this season. Watching Cobb run down the seam makes other defenders look like they're standing in sand.
  • Every year, the Packers seem to try new drills I've yet to see in other NFC North locales. Monday was no different. I watched offensive linemen catching footballs from a JUGS machine. The Packers also have a ball-security drill that requires a player to hold on to a ball that's attached to an elastic band and being pulled by a teammate.
  • Defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove re-joined the team after missing two days because of a personal issue. Asked whether he had any hope of his eight-game suspension being shortened or reversed, Hargrove paraphrased singer Wyclef Jean: "I'll be gone 'til November." Because of the suspension, Hargrove is working only in individual drills. "I think you have to be honest and just prioritize it," coach Mike McCarthy said. "[T]he priority is really to get the other guys ready and individuals who have the opportunity to compete for the 53 and be ready Week 1."

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
post-practice:

Brian Carriveau@BrianCarriveau
Mike McCarthy: Trainers looking at Mike Daniels' knee and groin.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bob McGinn@BobMcGinn
It's beginning to look like RT Andrew Datko (D7) can't play, ala LB Ricky Elmore (D6) in #Packers 2011 camp. Routinely whipped in pass pro.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bob McGinn@BobMcGinn
It's beginning to look like RT Andrew Datko (D7) can't play, ala LB Ricky Elmore (D6) in #Packers 2011 camp. Routinely whipped in pass pro.

I keep reading the same about him. Its too bad he's got a beast of a frame, maybe that shoulder problem isnt allowing him to get proper leverage on guys or something. At least OL is a pretty deep position for us when Sherrod gets back.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
I keep reading the same about him. Its too bad he's got a beast of a frame, maybe that shoulder problem isnt allowing him to get proper leverage on guys or something. At least OL is a pretty deep position for us when Sherrod gets back.

His shoulder is not up to par from what I've read. He needs to hit the weights, make the PS and give it a shot next camp.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts