Training Camp Position Battles

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if any of those WR's show promise, Davis is done. It's not that difficult to replace a punt returner with a guy that can at least field it consistently. Sure Davis had some nice returns, he also had some head scratchers and he offers pretty much zero in the passing game. He was a young guy to develop that found a spot returning punts in the meantime. He hasn't developed thus far and now they have 3 new ones to check out. Unless they are all duds, i think he's gone.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing people have to remember is that Clark is about as raw as you will see in the NFL. He played basketball for 1 year at St. Francis of Pennsylvania. Although, he hadn't played Football since his freshman year in high school, he decided to switch sports and transferred to Marshall where he sat out one year to gain eligibility and played on one year, before declaring for the NFL.

I think he has the attributes to eventually become a good WR, but just not the experience and it might be another year or 2 before that happens, if at all.

Yeah I do know that but it doesn't matter if he only played one year of college anymore he's in the NFL. I get you're saying he needs more time to develop. I'm saying I think he's already better than Allison. Just not a fan of Allison he's slow to start and in addition he's not especially good at anything else that makes a good wr in the NFL. I'd bet he wouldn't be in the league if he wasn't on the Packers. Also 2 fumbles on 35 touches that's really bad one coming in the biggest moment of his career not a good sign

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hopefully with this draft the future of the WR position has been addressed. But right now, its a bit scary to view it for the 2018 season from an experience standpoint, especially when factoring in the eventual injuries that seem to happen. After Cobb and Adams, the other 9 guys have a total of 47 career receptions and 35 of those came from GMO. Never know what a rookie can do or if GMO, Clark, Davis, et al really step it up, but I wouldn't count on that happening. At some point the Packers are really going to need to look at those 3-11 guys and decided if their lack of experience and/or talent necessitates bringing in another veteran player at the position.

We have all seen what happens to AR and the Packer offense when experienced starters at WR go down. Starting the season with only 2 guys with decent experience is very risky and could be detrimental to an offense that relies mainly on the passing game.

Cobb
: 8 years of experience
Adams: 5 years
Allison: 3 years, 35 career receptions
Davis: 3 years, 8 career receptions
Clark: 1 year, 4 career receptions
Yancey: 1 year, 0 career receptions
Kumerow: 1 year, 0 career receptions
Pearson: 1 year, 0 career receptions
Moore: R
St. Brown: R
Valdes-Scantling: R

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Looks a lot like the experience at RB
I think the RB position has "deeper", as well as requires less, experience than what is needed at the WR position. Monty, Jones and J. Williams have enough snaps and carries to lesson my worries about that position. It's also a position that only requires one guy at a time.

Now the CB position is pretty inexperienced as well. If you remove Williams (and House) from that position, the experience level is about as green as green gets.

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No need to argue about the relative experience level, you make some good points. I just always get a little annoyed when folks talk about our RB situation being fine with:

Jones - one year, 12 games, 81 carries
Monty - three years, 29 games, 151 carries
Williams - one year, 16 games, 153 carries

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No need to argue about the relative experience level, you make some good points. I just always get a little annoyed when folks talk about our RB situation being fine with:

Agreed. I wouldn't exactly say that our RB's are dripping with experience either, but given the nature of the offense and using only 1 at a time, I see the position being in decent shape for the future.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess Joe Whitt doesn't have enough to do? The Packers are looking at another guy that if they sign, they would have Whitt try to convert from a WR to a CB. I mean I get the success with Shields, but don't we have 3 really young high picks that need all the attention that they can get?

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/21/packers-interested-in-another-wr-to-cb-conversion/

Yes. If they sign him, it’s a sign Whitt will spend the majority of his time with him rather than the high draft picks.

C’mon. They’re just looking at a guy who is a top notch athlete and seeing if he can do anything. They will still prioritize the draft picks.

I know it’s the off-season and we’re bored, but this is a nothing story.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Let the injuries begin! LOL Training camp is how many hours in? :rolleyes:

It's a hamstring injury for WR Davante Adams, who did not practice at Tuesday's OTA. He came out halfway through practice. Others with injuries: WR Trevor Davis (hamstring), WR Colby Pearson (hamstring), OLB Clay Matthews (knee), OLB Nick Perry (ankle), LG Lane Taylor (ankle), RT Bryan Bulaga (knee), TE Emanuel Byrd (hamstring). Absent not due to injuries: S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, CB Tramon Williams.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

It's a hamstring injury for WR Davante Adams, who did not practice at Tuesday's OTA. He came out halfway through practice. Others with injuries: WR Trevor Davis (hamstring), WR Colby Pearson (hamstring), OLB Clay Matthews (knee), OLB Nick Perry (ankle), LG Lane Taylor (ankle), RT Bryan Bulaga (knee), TE Emanuel Byrd (hamstring). Absent not due to injuries: S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, CB Tramon Williams.
Good to know that we're in midseason form already.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Don’t forget Mays, he might surprise. I think he’s a dark horse.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No surprise to see clay and perry on there

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mays has a long way to go to even make the roster after fumbling on both of his first two touches in the league.

Yes, he fumbled first two touches. New season though, new staff. He’s a dark horse to be a contributor on offense for us imo, I was impressed with how he ran and pass protected last preseason.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, he fumbled first two touches. New season though, new staff. He’s a dark horse to be a contributor on offense for us imo, I was impressed with how he ran and pass protected last preseason.

Mays averaged 2.7 yards per carry during the preseason in 2017 with a long run of seven yards on 16 attempts. Hardly anything to be impressed with.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jerellh528 - at least this time I can understand the Disagree - someone put up a rebuttal to your post. Still don't understand the Disagree with the facts about Gonzalez' and Sharpe's ages, production, and years played. Actually, don't understand how one can disagree with what the Capt says above, unless you think it's incorrect, in which case, what are your numbers?

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jerellh528 - at least this time I can understand the Disagree - someone put up a rebuttal to your post. Still don't understand the Disagree with the facts about Gonzalez' and Sharpe's ages, production, and years played. Actually, don't understand how one can disagree with what the Capt says above, unless you think it's incorrect, in which case, what are your numbers?

I’m not disagreeing with numbers. I’m disagreeing at using such a small sample size of numbers to counter my point instead of actually watching the game and mentioning something about his running style, pass pro, or catch ability. Anyway, I don’t have to defend my disagreements with anyone and not sure why you care so much to follow me around asking about why I disagree with stuff. I don’t see you asking me why I like or agree with stuff. In the future if you’re going to ask me something like this, just save it alright because if I wanted to elaborate, I would have. When disagree with something but I feel it isn’t worth a reply, that’s when I use the button..Have a good one.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen enough from Mays to sway me one way or the other. He'll get a chance to show he can secure the ball this year. He better if he wants any chance of sticking around. But he didn't get a whole lot of opportunity to show what he can do either. Williams looked pretty poor early on to me, like he was just worried about ball security and burying his head and going forward. But he could hang on to the ball and pass protect well so he got opportunity.

After he got in the flow he looked like a much better runner and when he lowered his head it was to get to where he wanted to go, not just to keep heading in the direction he was already pointed if that makes sense. Mays might look better with reps, haven't seen enough to really have a good feeling either way. But if he can't hang in to the ball, he's not going to get any either.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not disagreeing with numbers. I’m disagreeing at using such a small sample size of numbers to counter my point instead of actually watching the game and mentioning something about his running style, pass pro, or catch ability. Anyway, I don’t have to defend my disagreements with anyone and not sure why you care so much to follow me around asking about why I disagree with stuff. I don’t see you asking me why I like or agree with stuff. In the future if you’re going to ask me something like this, just save it alright because if I wanted to elaborate, I would have. When disagree with something but I feel it isn’t worth a reply, that’s when I use the button..Have a good one.

See, the first two sentences help answer the gnawing question of why anyone would disagree with facts. Of course, you don't have to defend your disagreements, but an explanation is appreciated. I am not stalking you, it's just that Disagreements are relatively rare, and, if I'm entitled to read all the posts, it's very difficult to ignore the big red X's. I don't ask you why you agree or like posts because I don't understand how there can be any question about your feelings in those cases. It's more a matter of my wondering what I'd missed in the Disagree ratings with facts. If someone posts that Eli Manning two Super Bowl wins makes him a better QB than Rodgers, I can understand a Disagreements, with or without explanation. If, however, someone posts that Eli won two Super Bowls, and you Disagree with that, I've got to wonder. That's all.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers just waived Pearson with an injury settlement, so that leaves us at 10 WRs, Davis should be next if any of the rookies are trying to get back there and field punts.

Members online

Latest posts