• Jackson

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Starks

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which guy to you think will play more snaps this year at RB?
THis is from someone today, not sure as it was e-mailed to me.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]When Ted Thompson drafted James Starks in the sixth round, the initial reaction of a lot of observers was that Brandon Jackson's days at Lambeau were numbered, however there are a couple of reasons as to why Jackson in my view remains the more ideal compliment to Ryan Grant:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Starks is very similar to Grant, he's a tall, upright, power runner who can certainly be elusive but not make a play out of nothing. Starks lacks elite speed and will not compliment Grant in terms of being the 'change of pace' guy the Pack may find more useful, add that to missing all of last season with a shoulder injury and can he really be relied upon at this stage?
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Jackson is a better blocker, in the Pack's offense this is crucial - Aaron Rodgers' 3rd down rating is truly obscene thanks in no small part to Jackson providing him with extra time. On a team that likes to pass on 3rd down, he's ultimately more useful.
    [*]Jackson's own stats I feel are undervalued. He averaged 3 YPC last year but as mentioned was mainly asked to block and caught the ball 21 times for 187 yards at 8.9 yards average. In 2008 he also averaged 5.5 YPC on the ground, so clearly the guy is not without running ability and I think there's a case to say that McCarthy doesn't trust him enough.
    [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]All in all, Jackson should stay as a 'change of pace'/blocking option. Should Ryan Grant go down though, you have to think that Starks' skill-set is more adept to taking the majority of the workload.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson will be the 3rd down back as long as he's healthy. MM said he is the best blocking 3rd down back he's seen since Marcus Allen in the 1990's.

That said, who says any defenses are going to force us to any 3rd downs?
And we might blow out so many teams, Starks plays the bulks of 4th quarters and runs the clock out with 10 carries every 4th quarter to ice games away. :happy0005:

Members online

Latest posts