Training camp 2017 notes and observations.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Running thread about all things observed about training camp. Camp battles can go into their own threads if you prefer.

Traffic PSA:
Heads up for anyone looking to drive to training camp over the next six weeks.
DOT road construction weekly update
I-43 south of GreenBay is one lane in both directions while they repave certain sections. I do not know how far South it goes past the 10 miles I drive it. 2 months ago a section between Manitowoc and Sheboygan was going through a major rebuild. I do not know if that is completed.
I-41 between Appleton and Green Bay has orange signs and barrels set out also with speeds reduced and lanes diverted. Some repaving there it looks like.
Hiway 172 along South side of GB also has barrels set out. They are installing cable barriers between the lanes.
Hiway 29 about 10 miles west of Green Bay has an interchange getting installed that just started and will take 2 years to complete.
The I-41 rebuild along the west side of GB was officially completed last winter. All 3-6 lanes are open in all directions. Hope you know how to do round-abouts.
Ashland Avenue is detoured coming into Green Bay from DePere. It is open north of 172 towards Lombardi Avenue.

Camp schedule

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers start training camp relatively healthy with only two players having been put on the PUP list in CB Demetri Goodson and OLB Vince Biegel. According to McCarthy it will take the former Wisconsin standout several weeks to get on the field.

In addition TE Aaron Peck isn't practicing because of a hamstring injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers start training camp relatively healthy with only two players having been put on the PUP list in CB Demetri Goodson and OLB Vince Biegel. According to McCarthy it will take the former Wisconsin standout several weeks to get on the field.
Has Goodson EVER been healthy and not suspended for the start of the season? Seems he is always one or the other. Selective memory most likely.

D

Deleted member 6794

Has Goodson EVER been healthy and not suspended for the start of the season? Seems he is always one or the other. Selective memory most likely.

It's hardly surprising that Goodson ended up on the PUP list though as he suffered a gruesome knee injury late last season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Not a big surprise. Get em ready for the second half of the season.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've mentioned before the Packers don't have enough quality depth at outside linebacker to bring Biegel along slowly.
i think he suffered a stress fracture. that will have to heal completely or he'll have a reoccurrence (which i think he's already had at least once). i don't think they have a choice but to bring him along slowly. if they need another olb they'll just have to get someone from the last cut-down and put biegel on ir. i think he'll most likely be a bust anyway.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
All of the beat writers seemed to agree today that:

a) The DB's were getting beat.
b) The running game is rusty.
c) Martellus Bennett is very large.

We'll see what happens when the pads come on.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Michael Cohen said the base defense was featured Lowry as the 3rd DL next to Clark and Daniels, Joe Thomas next to Ryan instead of Martinez, and House and Gunter starting on the outside. In nickel, Lowry left the field and Randall came on as the slot corner. The only thing I'm a little surprised at is Thomas over Martinez. We will see how that shakes out. I'm guessing Gunter will get overtaken by King or someone else here before too long. Sounds like he was the guy getting beat most often.

I also saw it reported that Josh Jones would come on in that dime LB that Burnett filled last year, keeping Burnett out at safety.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bennet was late to check in to his dorm so he drove back to green bay and slept on the floor in lambeau locker room on the eve of camp? wonder if that was punishment. lol i'm sure he could have afforded a hotel room. if it wasn't punishment I love the guy's attitude!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
All of the beat writers seemed to agree today that:

a) The DB's were getting beat.

They must not be healthy yet! ;) :D

It's early and I'm not going to panic. But I don't think it would be that shocking to anyone but TT, if that continues.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score

biegel hurt his hand at rookie camp and had foot injury in may? is this guy injury prone? geeeeee

Last edited:

Yogididit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They must not be healthy yet! ;) :D.

What is the feeling around here with the CBs? I know a lot of people who just want to blame injuries and bad luck for last year. I personally don't like to blame luck since there isn't anything you can do to correct it.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the feeling around here with the CBs? I know a lot of people who just want to blame injuries and bad luck for last year. I personally don't like to blame luck since there isn't anything you can do to correct it.

well, it's the first day. King is transitioning and needs time to get used to these elite receivers. hopefully these CBs get the grove going before season starts.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread is for training camp discussions. DO NOT derail it with subjects that dominate multiple other threads. Take your time to look around to see what else is on here.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
biegel hurt his hand at rookie camp and had foot injury in may? is this guy injury prone? geeeeee

The foot "injury" was a Jones Fracture, that I believe happened in college and either it wasn't repaired correctly or he came back to early. I wouldn't label the guy "injury prone" yet, but the Jones Fracture could be a long term concern that could ultimately derail his career.

"A Jones fracture is a break of the fifth metatarsal, the long bone on the outside of the foot that leads to the small toe. It's a difficult bone to heal and has a higher chance of refracturing even after surgery to repair it" according to the American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Heard Gunter and Rollins kept getting beat today. The CB is dumpster fire...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I'm guessing that, health allowing, week one will see House and King on the outside and Randall in the slot.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I heard Capers was trying something new with the CB's to see if it would improve their play!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no reason to be worried about Biegel's hand injury he suffered early in OTAs but as Pokerbrat correctly pointed out the Jones fracture raises some red flags.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts