Training camp 2017 notes and observations.

D

Deleted member 6794

well, it's the first day. King is transitioning and needs time to get used to these elite receivers.

Hopefully the coaching staff lining King up as a scout team wide receiver is helping his transition. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There's no reason to be worried about Biegel's hand injury he suffered early in OTAs but as Pokerbrat correctly pointed out the Jones fracture raises some red flags.

Yup, that one has me worried a bit. I'm not a doctor, nor by any means knowledgeable about Jones Fractures, but some of the articles I read didn't paint a rosy picture of athletes being able to consistently and fully recover from the injury. Could be an issue for Biegel, that could ultimately derail his career. Fingers crossed.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just got back from practice.

Quick takeaways:

OLBs were right in front of us for drills. Top 3 players clearly where CM3, Perry, and i guy i know nothing about, #59 Letuligasenoa. Going to have to watch this kid he has the athletic tools. Frackell did not impress. Biegel MIA though i saw him just before the drill started.

Lowry is an imposing looking at DE

Martlus Bennett is going to make Rodgers and every Packer fan very happy.

Kendricks is going to have his biggest year.

Did not see or watch King.

Josh Jones looks like he belongs, poised and confident.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no reason to be worried about Biegel's hand injury he suffered early in OTAs but as Pokerbrat correctly pointed out the Jones fracture raises some red flags.

Yeah it's one of those where even when it tests alright it might still be vulnerable to reinjury. The Packers probably could have had him back by now but seem to be taking it slowly and carefully with him. I suspect he'll hit the ground running when he does become available, he did play in a similar defense in Madison.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Randall managed a pick and apparently looks good in zone schemes, anyone catch him playing man defense?

I noticed from the JSONLINE blog that Fackrell really does look beefier this year.

Also Lowry starting ahead of Clark in the nickel, not surprised. He does project better as a pass rusher.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
A few notes from Packers Twitter:

-Sounds like Gunter is doing his darndest not to make this team.
-Randall seems to be having a better day-- according to Michael Cohen, he has always wanted to play the slot.
-Cobb really wants to return punts.
-McCarthy has noted that Trevor Davis, who is in the mix as the PR and KR guy, has gotten bigger and stronger in the offseason.

On Cobb, I think the coaching staff should let him get in the PR mix. He can share the responsibilities with Davis. With both Bennett and Kendricks in house, the Packers may want to run more 12 personnel this year than they have in the past. That would mean fewer snaps for Cobb in the slot. Letting him return some punts would counteract that loss of snaps/touches.

If Davis distinguishes himself as the leader option in the return game, you can sew up his roster spot.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So Randall managed a pick and apparently looks good in zone schemes, anyone catch him playing man defense?

I noticed from the JSONLINE blog that Fackrell really does look beefier this year.

Also Lowry starting ahead of Clark in the nickel, not surprised. He does project better as a pass rusher.

I'm guessing that Clark and Lowry play a similar number of snaps this season. Their skill sets compliment each other really well.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few notes from Packers Twitter:

-Sounds like Gunter is doing his darndest not to make this team.
-Randall seems to be having a better day-- according to Michael Cohen, he has always wanted to play the slot.
-Cobb really wants to return punts.
-McCarthy has noted that Trevor Davis, who is in the mix as the PR and KR guy, has gotten bigger and stronger in the offseason.

On Cobb, I think the coaching staff should let him get in the PR mix. He can share the responsibilities with Davis. With both Bennett and Kendricks in house, the Packers may want to run more 12 personnel this year than they have in the past. That would mean fewer snaps for Cobb in the slot. Letting him return some punts would counteract that loss of snaps/touches.

If Davis distinguishes himself as the leader option in the return game, you can sew up his roster spot.

I know it's only the 2nd day, but Davis sounds like he's making the 2nd year jump. I'm anxious to see him in a preseason game.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I know it's only the 2nd day, but Davis sounds like he's making the 2nd year jump. I'm anxious to see him in a preseason game.

We shall see. I was a little surprised this last offseason that so many fans had written him off-- to the point of rarely projecting him to make the team. He was only a 5th round rookie after all.

Sky King

Reaction score
Just got back from practice.

Quick takeaways:

OLBs were right in front of us for drills. Top 3 players clearly where CM3, Perry, and i guy i know nothing about, #59 Letuligasenoa. Going to have to watch this kid he has the athletic tools. Frackell did not impress. Biegel MIA though i saw him just before the drill started.

Lowry is an imposing looking at DE

Martlus Bennett is going to make Rodgers and every Packer fan very happy.

Kendricks is going to have his biggest year.

Did not see or watch King.

Josh Jones looks like he belongs, poised and confident.
Just curious. How long does it take to travel from Amish country to Lambeau in the horse and buggy? ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Just curious. How long does it take to travel from Amish country to Lambeau in the horse and buggy? ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
If he were staying with the family in Bonduel Amish country, it'd be about a day's travel into GB via the Mountain-Bay trail. Probably spent the night at Lambeau using Marty B's locker spot. After camp today he should be getting back to the family compound around sunset. After letting the horses graze on Nitschke field overnight, I hope he cleaned up any fertilizer pellets left behind.

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any particular reason you feel he is going to bust? Just curious...
Packers never get lucky with picks like him. hope i'm wrong, but i think it's the following: the injury he's dealing with, the Packers already have 2 guys like him, and this...
WEAKNESSES
Undersized, and it often shows up on tape. Needs to increase play strength and add more bulk to his frame. Gets jostled around by tackles if he loses with his hands. Poor contact balance to fight through redirect blocks and can get shoved to turf. Average three-step burst upfield. Duck-foot rusher missing twitch and athleticism to bend the edge. Attempts to activate spin counter, but he's missing footwork to bring it home. "Take-on" anchor and power versus lead blockers is below average. Quick to stack, slow to shuck.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Rounds 5-6
SOURCES TELL US
"Has to get stronger. He's got great makeup and is a great teammate and leader. Medicals with his foot are worrisome. Could be a flag for him." -- Midwest regional scout for NFC team
NFL COMPARISON
Frank Zombo
BOTTOM LINE
Effort-based worker bee with edge-setting hands and attitude, but a lack of power that could lead to inconsistency in play. Biegel's football character is off-the-charts and he can be counted on to put the effort into improving in areas that need work. He lacks individual rush talent but could be a good fit for teams utilizing exotic rush packages. Average NFL ceiling but has the demeanor and traits of a potential special teams demon.

D

Deleted member 6794

I highly doubt Cobb will play fewer snaps on offense as the coaching staff has been adamant about getting the ball in his hands more often this season.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read Bennett got hurt at the beginning of practice...... went to the locker room and came back with ankles retaped......

That would have ruined my day, if he was really injured...

Reese2017

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Michael Cohen said the base defense was featured Lowry as the 3rd DL next to Clark and Daniels, Joe Thomas next to Ryan instead of Martinez, and House and Gunter starting on the outside. In nickel, Lowry left the field and Randall came on as the slot corner. The only thing I'm a little surprised at is Thomas over Martinez. We will see how that shakes out. I'm guessing Gunter will get overtaken by King or someone else here before too long. Sounds like he was the guy getting beat most often.

I also saw it reported that Josh Jones would come on in that dime LB that Burnett filled last year, keeping Burnett out at safety.
Maybe just me ,you people seem to see potential in Lowry I just don't see he maybe Hugh but lacks heart ,you can't tell by how timid he is in drills . Last year he really showed nothing,why do u think the d line sucks because people fall in love with the favorite son , because he was drafted means nothing, I've followed Brian price since juco has heart and is a tough mf utsa didn't use him right in juco he played end 3 and nose the guy is tough as hell that's why I'm a fan.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The foot does concern me, but it doesn't surprise me he's on the PUP. I figured that would be the case as soon as the injury was announced. I go back and forth on whether or not he's eventually IR'd, but I suppose that will depend on who else becomes available during cuts and if he's ever even activated to begin with during camp. My guess is IR won't come into play until halfway thru the season. No sense in removing an easy path back to the field if you don't have to.

I'd think he "could" be healed enough in time to be activated and take part in the preseason. If he's on the PUP at the start of the regular, I'm not so sure 6 more weeks is going to be the difference as I don't think time is the deciding factor in how he's healing if that's the case.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I highly doubt Cobb will play fewer snaps on offense as the coaching staff has been adamant about getting the ball in his hands more often this season.

They can make it appear that way all they want but "best personnel" speaks otherwise. I personally like Jordy in the slot more kind of like Zona uses Fitz. Jordy, Bennett, Kendricks all inside will be a handful for any opponent along with Monty motioning out who is a bigger Cobb. Then you have more speed with T.Davis outside and a nice posession guy with Adams when he is playing well with Allison backing those two up.

I just don't see where Cobb gets a bunch of snaps. Plus Cobb gets nicked up a lot. Unless someone else gets hurt i just don't see Cobb having a big season.

Members online

Latest posts