1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tragedy?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by NCPackerfan, Aug 31, 2005.

1. NCPackerfan

NCPackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    "Tragedy hits Favre yet again"

This was the headline story on packersnews.com this morning. I didn't copy the whole article because most of you are aware of what happened to Favre's family home in Mississippi. My reason for posting the headline was more about the media apparently lumping this event in with the REAL tragedies that Brett and his family have experienced over the last two years. In my mind, losing your boyhood home pales in comparison to those other events as well as what the other people in Louisiana and Mississippi are going through. Brett has the resources to rebuild his mothers home. There are tens of thousands of people that have lost everything they own and there are dead people floating in the rising waters of New Orleans. That's a tragedy! Brett himself said the only reason his situation is getting so much press is because he's famous, but that there are a lot more people that are not famous and they are in much worse shape than he is and they need help a lot worse than he does. I think he has even offered to help those less fortunate any way he can. My point for this whole rant is that I think even Brett is getting tired of the media characterizing any unfortunate event in his family as "another tragedy". I wish they would be more carefull with their choice of words.

2. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I was thinking the same thing at first...whoa boy, stinks to be Brett, but like he said, there are people that have had it much worse than him.

I'm not trying to downplay what happened to his family at all, but as you said, they're all safe, and he has resources to help his family.

3. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    You wanna hear something truly amazing...?

The local morning news here on Channel 13 (NBC) made mention of Brett Favre and his Family in Mississippi, along with everyone else in those affected States... and let slip the sentence....

Brett Favre's home was destroyed in the Hurricane affecting that region of the U.S. - which just adds to his long list of tragedies the Favre Family has gone thru lately.

I MADE SURE to have my girl email that TV Station and correct them about their obvious lack of facts before making such an announcement...

Talk about being totally clueless.... WOW !

4. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Please explain to me how losing the old homestead is NOT a tragedy? Don't give me any crap about how others have it worse. Everything is relative. To me losing a house in a hurricane IS a tragedy. I don't care how much money you have.....it is a tragedy.

People lost alot in this disaster......there is nothing trivial about it.....no matter how much money you have.

There are people in Europe and around the world that don't believe this is a tragedy since the United States is such a wealthy country. Kind of reminds me of what you guys are saying about the Favres.

5. NCPackerfan

NCPackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Exactly my point, DePack. Compared to the loss of his father, brother-in-law, and Deannas cancer, the loss of his house IS trivial for Brett. Please don't think I meant to trivialize the pain and suffering the people are going through down there. That was not my intention.

6. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    but its still more Bs he has to put up with. im not calling him St Favre or anything but...things have been cruddy for him lately.

7. Philtration

Philtration Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    We all have personal tragedies to overcome.

8. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    In this case I would agree with Phil to an extent. We all have tragedies, and your tragidies Phil are no different than my tragidies, or any other person's tragidies in the sense that they are devestating. However people do move on. But with the hurricane, I think it is unfair to have someone say tragedy occured with Favre during this Hurricane. By all means, that is not the case. Thank god his family got out alive, because that is the most important thing, above money, food, cars, etc. BUT Favre has the resources (money) to rebuild. Heck he has his family in another one of his houses. But the fact of the matter is that Brett's family has not gone through a tragedy. The people who are in the supredome with deteriating living conditions have suffered a tragedy. The people who lined up on highways that were not submerged in water have suffered tragidies. The people who have spent the past 3 days staying outside gas stations have suffered tragedy. They have all suffered tragedy becasue they have lost everything. They have lost their homes, money, cars, but most importantly some have lost family. Favre's family is downright luckily to be together, and by no means have the suffered a tragedy. They have experienced a setback yes, but by no means tragedy.

And Phil, I am sorry to hear about your uncle. I can only imagine how it feels to loose something you have worked your whole life to get. I hope he will be alright, but (and not to sound rude or offensive) having relatives that can help you is a lot more helpful than it looks.

9. Philtration

Philtration Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

10. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    My point was that losing a house to a hurricane IS a tragedy. It is certainly not as tragic for Brett as it is for some others but nonetheless it is tragic. I guess we'll agree that tragedies can come in different degrees. To Phil and others.....my condolances. My family had a tough 2004.