Trading draft picks for a Cornerback?

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Is there any teams out there that might be tanking or rebuilding next season that would be willing to trade draft picks for a cornerback? I know dolphins seem to be shedding alot of big contracts this year and I think they have a few cornerbacks on rookie deals. With what 12? draft picks this year I think it would be good to trade away some for our biggest need.

The FA has just about dried up at the position and I think this is what may have to be done to fill the gaping hole.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there any teams out there that might be tanking or rebuilding next season that would be willing to trade draft picks for a cornerback? I know dolphins seem to be shedding alot of big contracts this year and I think they have a few cornerbacks on rookie deals. With what 12? draft picks this year I think it would be good to trade away some for our biggest need.

The FA has just about dried up at the position and I think this is what may have to be done to fill the gaping hole.

I was thinking about that after the signings of Melvin (Raiders) and Bears matching Kyle Fuller. The Dolphins seem to be willing participants. I would consider trading for CB Xavier Howard, but I would not want to trade the #14 pick. He is already a good ball hawking CB with great tackling skills, and would fit perfectly alongside Kevin King. I would give up GB's second round pick (45) and 6th round pick (187) for Xavier Howard. He has great size and is a legitimate football player on a rookie deal. Free agency is done with CBs and the rookie is not that impressive as it seems. Save #14 for Derwin James (hope he's there) or trade down for more assets.

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Howard is exactly the type of guy a team doesn’t wanna give up. A young talented player on a rookie contract. I think they got him in the second so why would they want a second for him and try and the risk of find another talented player like him. I know ya been thrown around a lot but a guy like Patrick Peterson makes sense with his big contract and he has already expressed displeasure with the rebuilding process. He’s expensive but would be great with king and then use a pick in the first three round on another young cb. Darby from the eagles is another name thrown around

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards drafting secondary early and often. Big physical, fast CBs. And a safety. Add a couple veterans for insurance. Then we have to hope the dline and lbs dominate.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Patrick Peterson is unhappy in AZ, his contract isn't bad and the Pack desperately need a CB. What would it take to get him? Generally players don't command 1st rd picks these days. I would say a 2nd and something else. Then the pack could trade their 1st to Buffalo for their 2 1st rd picks to kinda get back the value.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Patrick Peterson is unhappy in AZ, his contract isn't bad and the Pack desperately need a CB. What would it take to get him? Generally players don't command 1st rd picks these days. I would say a 2nd and something else. Then the pack could trade their 1st to Buffalo for their 2 1st rd picks to kinda get back the value.

Idk how long I’ve been saying this. I’d give up that first rd pick in a heartbeat for Peterson. I’d even be willing to part ways with Clay Matthews to free up space to extend Peterson. Premium corners are harder to find than pass rushers imo. I think the Packers would be fine without CM3...but I think they’d take a huge step overall if they added a player of Peterson’s caliber.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would trade Clay for him in a heartbeat. I can't see them wanting an aging clay though.....unless they just want to sell jerseys.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would do the Buffalo trade first if they want a 1st rd pick for him. Grab their 2 and then trade 1 plus a 4th for him and keep the other 1st and get BPA.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would trade Clay for him in a heartbeat. I can't see them wanting an aging clay though.....unless they just want to sell jerseys.

They definitely wouldn’t want Clay for him..hell I don’t even think they’d give us a 2Nd for Clay. One thing about Peterson I like is that he’s always been durable...unlike any of our corners.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would do the Buffalo trade first if they want a 1st rd pick for him. Grab their 2 and then trade 1 plus a 4th for him and keep the other 1st and get BPA.
The Bills no longer have 2 first round picks, or at least, ones that they would want to trade for our first (they now own the 12th and 22nd).

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Howard is exactly the type of guy a team doesn’t wanna give up. A young talented player on a rookie contract. I think they got him in the second so why would they want a second for him and try and the risk of find another talented player like him. I know ya been thrown around a lot but a guy like Patrick Peterson makes sense with his big contract and he has already expressed displeasure with the rebuilding process. He’s expensive but would be great with king and then use a pick in the first three round on another young cb. Darby from the eagles is another name thrown around

Well I don't know about being thrown around a lot by anybody. I'm a grown man and I don't know anyone personally. I make opinions and projections, and I stand or fall depending on reality. I don't think Patrick Peterson would want to come to Green Bay, however if he somehow make to the Packers, I would definitely think it would make Green Bay legitimate Super Bowl contenders. Xavier Howard is a shot in the dark, he will be a superstar. I would love for Green Bay to make a pitch for Reshad Jones, but he's not leaving Miami (can't blame him/he restructured) and he has extensive injury history.

Last edited:

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Idk how long I’ve been saying this. I’d give up that first rd pick in a heartbeat for Peterson. I’d even be willing to part ways with Clay Matthews to free up space to extend Peterson. Premium corners are harder to find than pass rushers imo. I think the Packers would be fine without CM3...but I think they’d take a huge step overall if they added a player of Peterson’s caliber.

I think this late (relatively) in the offseason, we should just keep CM3. Now trading the 14th pick straight up for Peterson, and their two 3rd round picks is a fair deal. Arizona has back to back picks. Packers get a possible HOF CB and leverage in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. That could be a win-win. That's if Peterson would want to come to Green Bay and Arizona's management realizes they are in rebuilding mode.

Members online

Latest posts