Trades I would make to improve the Packers.

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Greg Jennings and Jermichael Finley but I would be willing to trade either of them in order to improve the defense. I don't think this team can be serious Super Bowl contenders with the defense as it is right now. I'm willing to give up 1 offensive weapon but not both. I would trade either of them straight up for Darrelle Revis or Patrick Willis. Sure, the offense won't be as potent but the defense will be much improved so they won't have to get into these shoot outs trying to outscore other teams. I would also trade either to the Rams for both Chris Long and Jason Smith. Smith would help the offensive line and Long would start at outside linebacker and provide a much needed pass rush opposite Clay Mathews. I know a lot of people love Jennings and Finley but you have to give up good players in order to get good players. I think any of these trades would make the Packers a better all around more balanced team and a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont care how good finley or jennings is, no one is straight up trading willis or revis for that. Both are the top 1 or 2 at their position, can you say that about jennings or finley? No, maybe in a year you could about finley.

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the idea that the packers should be willing to make some trades to improve the team. I believe the packers have only made around 5 trades in as many years... Obviously, the Pack build through the draft and free agency in the TT/MM era; and I don't know if I like perennially having the youngest team in the league.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the idea that the packers should be willing to make some trades to improve the team. I believe the packers have only made around 5 trades in as many years... Obviously, the Pack build through the draft and free agency in the TT/MM era; and I don't know if I like perennially having the youngest team in the league.

Are we still the youngest? I thought we shed that title this year

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something needs to be done. They have a great passing attack but are basically a one dimentional offense. You need balance on offense or the good pass rushing defenses are going to ignore the run and tee off on Rodgers. The Packers pass defense and special teams are terrible. I just don't see how they can be anything more than a 1 and done playoff team. There are just way too many things missing (running game, lack of a pass rush, poor pass defense from linebackers and cornerbacks other than Woodson, special team coverage and lacking a bonafide return man on punts and kickoffs.) That's a lot of holes that need to be filled.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont care how good finley or jennings is, no one is straight up trading willis or revis for that. Both are the top 1 or 2 at their position, can you say that about jennings or finley? No, maybe in a year you could about finley.

We don't need to pay Revis a billion dollars. Just cut Bush and Bell and draft a corner next year in the first round, play Zombo more and fire our special teams coach.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You just don't win by trading your best players, even for great ones.

It completely ruins team chemistry. No team that I can remember has ever won like that. I remember the Portis/Bailey trade. Neither team ammounted to anything after that.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade either of those guys, period. Besides, it rarely works out the way people think it does. I'm rather excited about the talent we have and I think they will develop into good players. I'm not saying I am against trading, but I don't think we should break up our offense for one guy who may or may not help. The offense is a lock to score points both via the pass or the run. Brining in a big name defensive player via trade, is not a lock to make things all better.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really Finley and Jennings?

I would hate to lose those 2 peices to a Superbowl puzzle :D

I said I wouldn't trade both. I would trade either of them for Willis or Revis. I'm willing to lose 1 offensive weapon to shore up the defense. I put Finley and Jennings names in this trade senario because I was trying to get an impact player on defense. Trying to unload Colledge, Spitz or David Lee would probably get you a 7th round pick next year. In order to really improve the defense from a trade standpoint you have to give up something good. Would you rather the Packers just trade their 3rd string fullback or 5th string tight end for somebody's garbage cornerback or outside linebacker. How is that going to improve the defense.

21dmvp21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you dont trade jennings or finley, they are both rising stars, and are very important to this offense. without them we wouldnt score as many points in a game. the defense will be fine, they played good against the colts. dont start getting you ******* in a bunch about the pre season defense.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, the grass is always greener. No matter who we have, someone else always has someone bigger, faster, stronger.

Geez guys, give it a rest. This is a VERY GOOD football team, and we did it without mortgaging our future on expensive players who may not even fit our scheme. Just because a guy is good with one particular team doesn't mean he'll be a good fit here.

There was an interesting discussion at footballproslive (Wow, I plugged them twice today) about whether Revis or any CB in the league is worth the money. Former head coach Turk Schonert chimed him with his thoughts, and I agree with them- Shut down corners are easier to game plan for than a solid pass rush.

Here's his quote:

The first thing a coordinator looks at when putting a game plan together is, how are we going to protect. Dogs & blitzes are studied, as well as individual rushers. If a defense has an outstanding pass rusher, or two, you better have a plan to get them blocked. Pass protection takes priority over routes.

As far as a corner goes, it depends on how that corner plays. If he plays only one side (Asomugha), you can put your #1 receiver to the opposite side. With match up corners (Revis) you have to use some motion, move your #1 around in formations, and run some pick plays for your receiver. You don't want to just take your #1 out of the game plan. Challenge your #1 receiver at the beginning of the week in front of the offensive unit, then tell him that you're going to help him by doing the things I mentioned above.

Bottom line is that it is more time consuming and more critical to game plan for a pass rush mismatch then it is to game plan for an excellent cover corner.

Link- FPL - Is Revis Or Any Corner Worth It?

Last season our pass rush wasn't that great. This year it's going to be a huge improvement. Brad Jones with another year in the system, moving Matthews and Jenkins to opposite ends and the addition of Mike Neal are all going to make huge impacts. I mean, come on, Neal has been getting double and triple teamed all pre-season, and he's still getting pressure!

Plus our defense has been pretty plain for most of the pre-season, showing the nickel package through just about every single snap.

So no, I don't think I would trade for anyone at the moment, and I think we're going to be fine. We have similar personnel to New Orleans and they just won a Super Bowl.

Besides, Revis is an ***. Someone who holds out after not even being half way though his deal isn't someone I want on my team.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you dont trade jennings or finley, they are both rising stars, and are very important to this offense. without them we wouldnt score as many points in a game. the defense will be fine, they played good against the colts. dont start getting you ******* in a bunch about the pre season defense.

Revis and Willis are already stars. It's just a matter of where you would rather have your stars either cornerback/outside linebacker or at the wide receiver/tight end position. As far as your coment that the defense will be fine, did you watch the Pittsburgh, 2 Minnesota and Cardinal playoff games last year. Every time this defense went up against a good quarterback it got shredded. Also where's the pass rush(other than Matthews) going to come from. Anybody who thinks this defense will be just fine is drinking the green and gold kool-aid

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why not, gasp, trade draft picks for players? get rid of d lee and a pick(s) for a goodcorner. win-win

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you could steal away Willis from SF for Jennings it would be the steal of the decade. Ill take the best MLBer for the 10th best WR any day.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Revis and Willis are already stars. It's just a matter of where you would rather have your stars either cornerback/outside linebacker or at the wide receiver/tight end position. As far as your coment that the defense will be fine, did you watch the Pittsburgh, 2 Minnesota and Cardinal playoff games last year. Every time this defense went up against a good quarterback it got shredded. Also where's the pass rush(other than Matthews) going to come from. Anybody who thinks this defense will be just fine is drinking the green and gold kool-aid

Refer to my post above. We have some very good players on our defensive line. As I stated before, rookie Mike Neal has been seeing double and triple teams all pre-season long. You toss Matthews into that mix with Cullen Jenkins on the opposite side and I believe we're gonna create some havoc.

Yes, we're still gonna give up some plays, all defenses do. But mark my words, barring significant injury, we're gonna be better at rushing the passer this season.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you could steal away Willis from SF for Jennings it would be the steal of the decade. Ill take the best MLBer for the 10th best WR any day.

I agree with you 100% I am surprised however that so many other replies stated you don't trade Finley or Jennings. I don't understand why some posters aren't willing to give up an offensive weapon to get a defensive stud. I was guessing most posters would say there is NO WAY the Jets or 49ers would give up Revis or Willis for Jennings or Finley. I'm totally shocked by the majority of responses that weren't in favor of trading Finley or Jennings.

X-Factor

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't trade Finley or Jennings. Maybe a role player and a draft pick, but not core players ~ that would weaken one area while trying to build another, that would be counter-active.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you 100% I am surprised however that so many other replies stated you don't trade Finley or Jennings. I don't understand why some posters aren't willing to give up an offensive weapon to get a defensive stud. I was guessing most posters would say there is NO WAY the Jets or 49ers would give up Revis or Willis for Jennings or Finley. I'm totally shocked by the majority of responses that weren't in favor of trading Finley or Jennings.

It's like I'm not even here.

Seriously, what is it with you that you think we need to trade away our core players for guys who might not even fit our scheme? I mean, this isn't Madden where you can just stack your team with the highest rated personnel. Trading for a talented guy doesn't guarantee he'll be a good fit.

Besides, it's not like we're desperate for defensive play makers. We're loaded with talent, as I've already pointed out. Did you not see the post where I outlined why we're going to be fine?

Seriously, this is a dumb conversation to even be having.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't trade Finley or Jennings. Maybe a role player and a draft pick, but not core players ~ that would weaken one area while trying to build another, that would be counter-active.

I know, right? Why stop at finley and Jennings? Why not trade Aaron Rodgers and Donald Driver for Mark Sanchez and Darrel Revis? Then swap out Jennings for Willis. Our defense will certainly be stacked then! :thumbsup:

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides, as I stated earlier, Revis is an *******. Do you seriously want a guy on your team who is gonna hold out every time someone makes more money than he does? Jesus, this is twice now the guy has held out, and he's not even half way through his first contract!

Sorry, but I really don't want that kind of player on my team, regardless of how talented he is.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides, as I stated earlier, Revis is an *******. Do you seriously want a guy on your team who is gonna hold out every time someone makes more money than he does? Jesus, this is twice now the guy has held out, and he's not even half way through his first contract!

Sorry, but I really don't want that kind of player on my team, regardless of how talented he is.

Generally when your coach tells you and everyone will listen your the best CB in the league and how great you are you want to be paid for it. according to roto he is getting paid about 1.1 mil this season.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if you dont want that kind player on your team I have a feeling your going to hate Finley next season

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Generally when your coach tells you and everyone will listen your the best CB in the league and how great you are you want to be paid for it. according to roto he is getting paid about 1.1 mil this season.

Well, my mom used to tell me I was special, smart and good looking. Obviously she was just saying things to keep my self esteem higher. =)

Either way I don't care what they told him, honor the friggin contract. He still has three years left. I could see a holdout with a year left, but three? Just seems ridiculous to me.

Members online

Latest posts