Trade up for Isiah Simmons?

Reaction score
I like Murray, Brooks, and Harrison, but I think they all three just limit you in terms of what you can do with them in the passing game.

That's not unusual at all for linebackers, and there's no reason why that should disqualify them by any means. But I think a LB with limited coverage skills is comparable to a RB with limited receiving skills... i.e. not for the first round.

And frankly, the Packers do not seem to be interested in 2nd level defenders on day one or two unless they project to be plus coverage players. That's why Queen is interesting, but I kind of doubt these other top guys are in play.
I agree and I think we can get a pretty good LB without spending a high pick such as #30 or earlier. Personally I'd only consider one of these ILB in a trade back and picking up at least a 3rd-4th rounder in some capacity. I'd generally reserve that 1st selection (or trade) for a QB, Safety or Edge (none a priority in 2020) OT, DT, or CB (any of which could be considered a good business decision). It just seems most drafts produce pretty good TE's, RB, ILB, OG, C, etc.. outside day 1.

Speaking of 1st round trades... If we traded back a few spots into round 2 and could still land Queen and pick up an additional early 4th rounder and maybe a late round pick, I'd be pretty happy with that. That's an area where we could draft our Center or a second WR or even RB.

In your opinion, do you think Queen will clear the 1st round for a scenario like that?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murray is a great straight line athlete who is constantly guessing. He never showed a lick of coverage skills.

He's gonna get overdrafted.

D

Deleted member 6794

Simmons is an athletic marvel. He fulfills a position of need and is cost-effective in relation to Blake Martinez and his new deal.

The Packers would have to give up a kings ransom to move up to select Simmons though.

For our 1st this year and next year, I'd consider it....and that's just because of the strength of this WR class.

I wouldn't like the Packers to give up two first rounders to move up to select Simmons. In addition that would most likely not be good eonugh anyway.

isocleas2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers have too many holes to fill the next couple years to waste what draft capital they have to trade up. If anything they should be trading back.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO - trading back out of the first round is the right thing to do 95% of the time. You get more draft picks which increases your odds of finding players that develop into starters. However, the key is finding a trading partner and not a lot of teams are willing to trade up...especially for a pick at the end of the 1st round.

Some player at some position will fall to the bottom of the first round. Teams picking at the bottom have holes but are generally playoff teams with the flexibility to draft BPA. That was Thompson's genius in drafting Rodgers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we just keep draft talk in the proper sections, helps organize and direct thought locations.

That said for when it is moved to the property spot...there are very few players I'd trade up for in the 1st I'd say is worth the equity (depending on spot) and Murray really isn't one of them.

D

Deleted member 6794

IMO - trading back out of the first round is the right thing to do 95% of the time. You get more draft picks which increases your odds of finding players that develop into starters.

There's no way to support that claim.

While it might make sense to trade out of the first round im some cases there are other ones when moving up or standing pat is the smart thing to do. The fifth year option for first rounders is another thing to consider.

In addition Thompson trading back into the second round to select Kevin King while passing on TJ Watt should work as a cautionary tale.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where we're sitting it just seems like it would take A LOT to move up into those top type draft picks. I don't see that type of scenario playing out for us this year. I guess if they nailed the pick and he became a bonafide generational type player sure. But if they move up 10 spots to take a good player, I think they could get a good player where they're at and take a few more swings at the plate in addition.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO - trading back out of the first round is the right thing to do 95% of the time. You get more draft picks which increases your odds of finding players that develop into starters. However, the key is finding a trading partner and not a lot of teams are willing to trade up...especially for a pick at the end of the 1st round.

Some player at some position will fall to the bottom of the first round. Teams picking at the bottom have holes but are generally playoff teams with the flexibility to draft BPA. That was Thompson's genius in drafting Rodgers.
I think it will depend on if there is a player there that a team really would like. For instance a QB. Then they may be will to give up more than normal. But I would not want to trade down too many slots.

isocleas2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a big factor for if you want that 5th year is how valued is the position. Quarterback, DLine, edge rusher, left tackle, WR, CB those are the positions to draft at the end of the 1st imo, if you're drafting anything else trade back.

Its one of the reason I'd pass on drafting an ILB at 30 regardless of who is there.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't think you should make any draft choice or trade based on a 5th year option. Hell, that is 5 years away.

D

Deleted member 6794

I just don't think you should make any draft choice or trade based on a 5th year option. Hell, that is 5 years away.

It's smart to consider it when making a decision though. The Packers definitely benefit from Clark currently only counting $7.7 million towards the cap in 2020.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Unless between now and right around pick #12, someone releases a video of Simmons with a gas mask on doing bong hits, the Packers won't have a shot at him. Nor should they spend that much draft capital to try and trade up to get him.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts